Two bookshelf speakers as centre channel speaker

Shanmugam

I am planning to use two Q Acoustic 3020 bookshelf speakers as my centre channel.

Do I need to connect in parallel or series the speaker wires.

I am planning to use two Q Acoustic 3020 bookshelf speakers as my centre channel.

I wished to go this path some time back and did some readings on many online threads on AV and AVS forums and this is generally not recommended. In short this approach has potential to create more problem than any added benefit based on the online discussions. One of the scary problem is depending on how the two speakers are connected and their ohms, it may cause overheating the AVR amp section and can potentially reduce its life.

All centre speakers have 2 drivers don’t think it will create any phase issue when 2 bookshelf drivers are used

I wished to go this path some time back and did some readings on many online threads on AV and AVS forums and this is generally not recommended. In short this approach has potential to create more problem than any added benefit based on the online discussions. One of the scary problem is depending on how the two speakers are connected and their ohms, it may cause overheating the AVR amp section and can potentially reduce its life.
Will speaker watts get added up when we connect two speakers parallel. I don’t know the basic electrical formula… so asking

Having dedicated Center is advantage than using two BS speakers. Its better to use 1 BS for center and having more delay to the Center from AV Receiver.
Center are designed to have the mid and High frequency where as the BS is alrounder, you might not get the clear Vocal or mid frequencies unlike Center in BS

Parallel will have effective impedance of 3 ohms (qacoustics are 6ohm speakers l guess).
Series will have 12ohm.
Both combo may not be recommended for a common AVR. Some avrs may accept up to 16ohm speakers, but with 5/7 speakers attached, final sound may suffer.

Dedicated Center channel will have final impedance of 6 ohm even if it has 2 cones

Its possible to do but not sure if you will get any benefit out of it. you may be better off with one speaker.

What's their nominal impedance?

I had hooked up 2 Aiwa bookshelves long ago to my Marantz NR series receiver. I had connected them in series as each was 6ohms. Resulting in a combined load of 12 ohms which is within the spec of the receiver which was 6-16 ohms. I used this setup for a number of months and had no issues at all. The two speakers were made to lie down on their sides and placed side by side.

MaSh

If you already have the two speakers with you and you want to experiment, then probably it's ok. But if you are yet to buy, please get the one center channel instead of two speakers. For the money that you will be spending on two speakers, you will probably get a good center channel that will keep you happy.

What are your LRs?

BTW, A single BS or CS would be batter option I guess. You could use same speaker as LCR as well.
I am using klipsch reference satellites. Since room size is big 12x24 the centre does not feel effective.

I am using the klipsch small centre speaker.
Do look at the difference ins sensitivity then and you may need to boost the signal to the center to make sure you have the same volume across all.

Klipsch usually is high sensitivity right ?

What's their nominal impedance?

I had hooked up 2 Aiwa bookshelves long ago to my Marantz NR series receiver. I had connected them in series as each was 6ohms. Resulting in a combined load of 12 ohms which is within the spec of the receiver which was 6-16 ohms. I used this setup for a number of months and had no issues at all. The two speakers were made to lie down on their sides and placed side by side.

MaSh
Wow
Were the Aiwas coaxial or two-driver units?
If two drivers, how did you lay them down?: T-W W-T? Or W-T T-W?
How was the listening experience? (Am assuming they were used as Centre)

Wow
Were the Aiwas coaxial or two-driver units?
If two drivers, how did you lay them down?: T-W W-T? Or W-T T-W?
How was the listening experience? (Am assuming they were used as Centre)
They were 2 driver 2-way HiFi bookshelf speakers. I am not into Center channel speakers in my HT. I had them sitting idle to hooked them up just as an experiment. Infact I even tried my Sony HiFi speakers from a VX8 system. The sony had a bit more flair and better highs. Aiwa were on the warmer side.

The speakers were laid down in a way that the tweeters of both were close to each other. So you can say [M-T][T-M].

MaSh

I am planning to do the same experiment but the bookshelves would be powered so the impact on AVR is not in consideration. Magnepan has this similar set-up with one of their wall mounted panel speakers where two speakers act as centre channel. I don't foresee any issues other than impedance/load on avr if you are using receiver to power them both

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back