Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

linuxguru

FWIW, I have access to a limited number of Tymphany OEM drivers: TPY03W06O0111. They're nearly identical to these (Vifa-branded) Parts Express units:

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

However, these are original Tymphany (Peerless) branded, with *black* glass-fibre woven cone, and 6-ohms impedance. They're good for small bookshelves (with or without tweeter), HT satellites, line arrays, or just general speaker upgrades (say multimedia or computer speakers with cheap 3" drivers).

If there's enough interest, I'd consider mopping up the lot and offering them here. The Tymphany website no longer lists these as current-production, but there's a very similar 8-ohm paper-cone unit, the TC9FD8 which is still in production.

Re: Speaker Kit-Insane value

Hi Linuxguru,
I believe I have responded with you on diyaudio. I still post there a bit, I just started posted here actually.
How's it going ? I didn't know you were in Chennai (my old hometown) from diyaudio.
Happy new year.
Cool.
Srinath.

FWIW, I have access to a limited number of Tymphany OEM drivers: TPY03W06O0111. They're nearly identical to these (Vifa-branded) Parts Express units:

However, these are original Tymphany (Peerless) branded, with *black* glass-fibre woven cone, and 6-ohms impedance.

If there's enough interest, I'd consider mopping up the lot and offering them here.

Is it the same source in Richie Street? How much do they cost?

Is it the same source in Richie Street? How much do they cost?

Yup, will email you if you'd like a pair. Note that these are 3.5", so they may not fit in a lot of small cabinets with cutouts for 3" drivers - I discovered that the hard way this morning when trying to mount one. Rear mounting may still be feasible in some cases where the baffle can be detached and reassembled.

It has stunning aesthetics, though, so I'll find a way, even if it requires a jig-saw cut to enlarge the cutout.

However, these are original Tymphany (Peerless) branded, with *black* glass-fibre woven cone, and 6-ohms impedance...

Here are a couple of pics of the Tymphany TPY03W06O0111 driver:

Rsf9ee.jpg

GNWK9b.jpg

It appears that the mini-Karlsonator ported enclosure will work with these drivers, though simple sealed enclosures may be just fine, too.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/264742-full-range-desktop-speakers-kit-3.html#post4124772

Last edited:

IMO, the Tymphany would do very well in the TABAC MLTL too.

Siva, can you please send me a PM with the price these are available for?

IMO, the Tymphany would do very well in the TABAC MLTL too.

What is this TABAC MLTL? BS or FS? I need a small, cheap and cheerful BS for reinforcing the sound of the TV (no HT for me:)).

My new micro-TL speaker has very modest dimensions than this and is more practical to install H-13", W-5", D-9". Also it has a very wide sound stage, excellent imaging and mind-blowing mid-range. Do not go by its size, once you hear them you may wonder how can such a small speaker sound so open and deep like a very large book-shelf and floor-stander. Listen to them to believe it.
Cheers,

My new micro-TL speaker has very modest dimensions than this and is more practical to install H-13", W-5", D-9". Also it has a very wide sound stage, excellent imaging and mind-blowing mid-range.

If you can accommodate it, you should give the Tymphany/Peerless/Vifa TG9FD a try - it's 3.5" full-range, woven glass-fibre cone. I've just tried it in a small sealed enclosure today, and it has mids and vocals that are worth dying for, apart from precise and tight mid-bass. With a TL like yours or the Tabaq, it may well have a phenomenal bass extension as well (some folks at diyAudio have used it in a Tabaq and mini-Karlsonator as well).

A google search for Vifa TG9FD or TC9FD reveals a lot of interesting applications that people have implemented with this particular driver - Roger Russell used a very similar 3.5" driver in his IDS-25 line array, which has a 25-driver column on each side:

My Experience with Column Systems

I'm tempted to upgrade the mid- in my old Technics SB-CR77 3-way speaker, but it had a 4" mid-range which I've already upgraded once (with a Robertson Audio 4" mid-bass unit). The 3.5" TG9FD may not fit the 4" aperture cleanly, so I'll leave it alone and stay focused on small full-ranges.

But among the first manufacturer to use soft dome and a mid sized woofer was Polk.

Small correction. Polk's Monitor series (which incorporated the 6.5" woofers and soft dome tweeters) came about 10 years after Edgar Vilchur's AR, Henry Kloss's KLH/Advent, Bill Hecht's Phase Technology etc.. all of which used a mid sized (usually 8") woofer and soft dome tweeter in at least one of their creations.

Yup, it's a versatile full-range driver that people seem to be using in a variety of applications - line arrays, various kinds of TLs, horns, resonators, etc. The fun applications are the ones that repurpose some piece of junk or commonplace household item as a cabinet - which is feasible, since it works with low effective volumes. And then there are the serious cabinet-makers with NC routers and similar, who build elaborately contoured TLs and similar. Zaph's famous 3" full-range cabinets for the HiVi metal-cone drivers can easily be re-worked for this, without worrying about break-up modes - there aren't any perceptible audible break-up modes in the Tymphany.

My first prototype cabinets are very ordinary cuboidal sealed enclosures. I need to think up something offbeat and funky for it - maybe a Horlicks bottle or Bournvita tin or similar? Beer cans are too small and have already been done before.

Last edited:

Siva sir.,
Have you tried the cylindrical enclosure of a small Congo..
Another idea is small earthen wares, the one we call kuvalais in tamil.
_A plastic globe with a suitable cut out and stuffed inside.

_A bamboo pipe of corresponding size.
Few of my suggestions

...A bamboo pipe of corresponding size.

Bamboo or wooden objects are viable - say, a small beer-barrel with the speaker mounted in a cutout at one end, and the terminals at the other end. One probably needs to go to a crafts store or look at an IKEA catalog for inspiration. Or maybe just look at the stuff from footpath vendors on Sampige Road in B'lore or Pondy Bazaar in Chennai.

If you can accommodate it, you should give the Tymphany/Peerless/Vifa TG9FD a try - it's 3.5" full-range, woven glass-fibre cone. I've just tried it in a small sealed enclosure today, and it has mids and vocals that are worth dying for, apart from precise and tight mid-bass. With a TL like yours or the Tabaq, it may well have a phenomenal bass extension as well (some folks at diyAudio have used it in a Tabaq and mini-Karlsonator as well).

Thanks for suggesting. I may build for others if required buy not for me currently due to space constraints at my home. If there is a group buy who are interested then can seriously consider.

TG9 seems to be pretty useful little driver with
some very interesting cabinet ideas -

On a related note, do you know of any local sources for foam-core sheets? There seem to be a lot of projects and use of foam-core at diyAudio for prototyping a wide variety of cabinets:

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - diyAudio

It seems to be a relatively quick and easy material to work with.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back