Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

Re: Speaker Kit-Insane value

Pic showing the small sealed HT satellite enclosure into which I was able to install the TG9FD full-range. The MiniRef amp is shown to the right to indicate the approximate size:

idufUjwSj

The aperture/cutout is only wide enough for a 3" full-range, so I mounted it on the rear of the baffle (after some cutting and filing), drilling 4 holes for the mounting Allen bolts. One advantage of rear mounting is that there's no baffle-step compensation or similar to consider.

The HT satellite cabinet is a cheap locally-made MDF box that used to be available about 5-6 years ago, called the Kadik K45. I trashed the cheap 3" driver that was originally installed in it and installed the TG9FD in its place. The width of the frame of the TG9FD is about 1 mm wider than the inner width of the box, but it can be coaxed in by flexing the side walls by about 0.5mm each. I haven't used any polyfill in this prototype, but may do so later.

The audible sonics (when driven by the MiniRef 1875 shown) are exceptional for the size. Stereo imaging and soundstage is wide and precise. The treble extends to beyond my hearing acuity. The lows below about 125 Hz are attenuated, but I'd rather not have thumping single-note resonant peaks anyway, and there isn't any way around the laws of physics. Whatever bass and mid-bass is present, is tight, fast and precise - perfect for Indian percussion instruments like the Tabla or Mridangam.

In short, this is a versatile small full-range driver with exceptional sonics that's usable with a wide variety of small gainclones and Class-A amps like the AmpCamp.

I can see it on my browser. Have some ISPs started blocking ImageShack as well? It would be even sillier than blocking github and sourceforge.net.

The audible sonics (when driven by the MiniRef 1875 shown) are exceptional for the size. Stereo imaging and soundstage is wide and precise. The treble extends to beyond my hearing acuity. The lows below about 125 Hz are attenuated, but I'd rather not have thumping single-note resonant peaks anyway, and there isn't any way around the laws of physics. Whatever bass and mid-bass is present, is tight, fast and precise - perfect for Indian percussion instruments like the Tabla or Mridangam.

In short, this is a versatile small full-range driver with exceptional sonics that's usable with a wide variety of small gainclones and Class-A amps like the AmpCamp.

@ 125Hz most of the lows will be missed and would not be accceptable for majority of listeners. May be an advanced TL will do justice to the lows atleast an octave lower. My experience with small form factor full-range drivers are they need a compensation network to sound balanced else will be too bright to listen too. A plain BSC will not be sufficient here as the harmonics will need better balance over the range of BSC too. Only a proper measurement and simulation can give more details of how these needs to be designed.
I may try one with these drivers if time permits.
Cheers,

On the contrary i find the Dayton Audio 4" reference driver as a better option than the Vifa driver. Check out this link for TS parameters Dayton Audio - 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm

It will have a much better low-end and more controlled resonance and Q.

You seem to forget the reason, the said driver is being talked about here in the first place. Dayton may certainly be a better driver but we are talking about drivers with phenomenal value. Dayton driver @ Rs. 2275/- certainly doesn't qualify to be talked about on this thread.

You seem to forget the reason, the said driver is being talked about here in the first place. Dayton may certainly be a better driver but we are talking about drivers with phenomenal value. Dayton driver @ Rs. 2275/- certainly doesn't qualify to be talked about on this thread.

I find the Vifa driver also USD40 per pair. After including duty and shipping charges they too will be USD60 - which is cool Rs.3700/- a pair which is also not very cheap. If you really need a cheap and a very good driver the Peerless S081E is a good option which is available for Rs.1000/- a pair and have a excellent low end too if used in a TL loading.:)

I find the Vifa driver also USD40 per pair. After including duty and shipping charges they too will be USD60 - which is cool Rs.3700/- a pair which is also not very cheap. If you really need a cheap and a very good driver the Peerless S081E is a good option which is available for Rs.1000/- a pair and have a excellent low end too if used in a TL loading.:)

Siva is talking about 3.5" Tymphony driver, available locally at good price. This driver is similar to Vifa. Vifa is just for reference.

BTW this Fountek is real VFM if importing is an option http://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fe83-3-full-range-driver-8-ohm--299-020

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:

On a related note, do you know of any local sources for foam-core sheets? There seem to be a lot of projects and use of foam-core at diyAudio for prototyping a wide variety of cabinets:

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - diyAudio

It seems to be a relatively quick and easy material to work with.

Foam Core Boards are available in India from aero-modelling online stores like RCBazaar and so on and sold as Depron. It's also called bio foam. Biopac India manufactures the Foam Boards in India in varying sizes and thickness.

The Foam Boards are very convenient for trying out speaker projects without having to depend on carpenters and the like. All you need is a good paper cutting or hobby knife, a glue gun with a plentiful supply of glue sticks, PVA glue, a measuring tape and a straight edge!

Siva is talking about 3.5" Tymphony driver, available locally at good price. This driver is similar to Vifa. Vifa is just for reference.

BTW this Fountek is real VFM if importing is an option Fountek FE83 3" Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

Regards
Sachin

Thanks for the links, if I am building for myself then I may choose the Dayton over others, if there is any specific custom build request only then I may consider other drivers as per request, I have used peerless fiber glass cone drivers earlier and was not impressed as it tend to give some listening fatigue on extended use - the drivers had not been break in at the time of my listening.

If you read Linuxguru's post carefully, you will notice that he was referring to availability of these drivers at a local source. I understand that depending on the numbers, the price could be lower than even the Peerless drivers referred by you. The link he has given is just for reference.

this Fountek is real VFM if importing is an option Fountek FE83 3" Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

True but add to it, the vagaries of Customs's folks, high freight charges etc and the equation could change rather drastically.

Yup, Tymphany/Peerless is the OEM for the Vifa TG9FD, which is 4 ohms and has a white woven glass-fibre cone. The driver that's available here is the Tymphany OEM model TPY03W06O0111 QC:120316 barcode number: R8123H0092, which is 6 ohms and has a black woven cone of either glass-fibre or Kevlar (pics posted earlier in the thread).

In some ways, this driver is more versatile for DIY projects due to the rated 6-ohm impedance. The T/S parameters are likely to be slightly different from the Vifa TG9FD due to a (possibly) heavier voice coil for 6 ohms. That's not a show-stopper - somebody just has to measure the T/S parameters for this variant. Dimensions are identical to the TG9FD, AFAIK - so you can just use the same mechanical data available online.

Tymphany does not list this driver on their website as a current-production standard item, so it appears to be an OEM version that was probably made specifically for some large customer (who may have specifically requested the impedance and cone colour/material change from the stock TG9FD). It does not appear to have hurt the sonics - on the contrary, it sounds quite exceptional with small gainclones.

At the price at which it is available locally (hugely discounted from the typical US list prices of $20-$40 for the TG9FD), it is a DIYer's delight. Needless to say, it will probably be a one-time surplus deal, like the Mission 4.5" and Onkyo 5" drivers from about 7-8 years ago, which were available for several months to a year before running dry once and for all.

In some ways, this driver is more versatile for DIY projects due to the rated 6-ohm impedance. The T/S parameters are likely to be slightly different from the Vifa TG9FD due to a (possibly) heavier voice coil for 6 ohms. That's not a show-stopper - somebody just has to measure the T/S parameters for this variant. Dimensions are identical to the TG9FD, AFAIK - so you can just use the same mechanical data available online.

I really wish the T/S parameters were available. I am curious about the frequency response. The Vifa TG9FD show a frequency response of 110 Hz to 10K Hz. But if you can source these drivers at less than Rs.1K a pair, it will be a bargain! And I wouldn't mind throwing my hat into the ring for a couple of these drivers. There are a good number of foam core designs over at Diyaudio that use the Vifa drivers. Would like to have a go at one of these.

Stay tuned - that price number will be met easily. My main concern now is to ensure that most of these drivers don't end up in local assembled HT sets, maxicabs and night video coaches.

My main concern now is to ensure that most of these drivers don't end up in local assembled HT sets, maxicabs and night video coaches.

The only way is to but them all. Start a group buy ASAP with timelines to make participants commit to the deal. Rest is sure to become history. :licklips:

The only way is to but them all. Start a group buy ASAP with timelines to make participants commit to the deal. Rest is sure to become history. :licklips:

If FM are keen on a 'Advanced TL' loading, i can build it for them. Will also add my harmonic balance compensation network for smooth response after simulation and measurements.

Cheers,

Right on! :thumbsup:

I'm in. But I don't see folks rushing in to join the queue.....

linuxguru, I'm sending a PM.

If FM are keen on a 'Advanced TL' loading, i can build it for them. Will also add my harmonic balance compensation network for smooth response after simulation and measurements.

Just a suggestion, not binding of course: something in a bookshelf form-factor and size, with an internal convoluted TL or folded horn or whatever secret sauces you want to put in, would seem to have a lot of traction (i.e. possible commercial feasibility). If those internals can be fabricated using foam-core board techniques and/or PVC pipes and easily available materials, even better.

Last edited:

Just a suggestion, not binding of course: something in a bookshelf form-factor and size, with an internal convoluted TL or folded horn or whatever secret sauces you want to put in, would seem to have a lot of traction (i.e. possible commercial feasibility). If those internals can be fabricated using foam-core board techniques and/or PVC pipes and easily available materials, even better.

Will do, can you provide me the link to the TS parameters of this driver for me to do a quick simulation. I will let FMs know if a small form factor micro-ATL is possible with this driver. But unfortunately i do not have the damping coefficients to be used with foam-core board and have them only for polyester fiber damping which too is very easy to use. Will make the boxes from professional box vendors only to ensure consistency of quality and finish and will use only 18mm MDF.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back