Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

Re: Speaker Kit-Insane value

Will do, can you provide me the link to the TS parameters of this driver for me to do a quick simulation.

The T/S parameters for the 4-ohm TG9FD are here:

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

The actual measured values published at the techtalk forum of Parts Express for the tg9fd are:

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range (264-1064)

Re: 5.441 ohms, Fs: 103.0 Hz, Qts: .811, Qes: 1.139, Qms: 2.818, Le (1kHz): 0.5477 mH, Vas: 0.095 cuft, Effective Diameter: 3.25"

I'll try to get the parameters for the 6-ohm and 8-ohm variants if available, in due course, failing which it will need to be measured from a real driver.

Edit: These are the parameters for the TG9FD-10-08 (8-ohm variant):

Re: 7.2 ohms, Fs: 105.0 Hz, Qts: 0.72, Qes: 1.23, Qms: 1.8, Le (1kHz): 0.11 mH, Vas: 0.987 litre,
Cms: 0.5028 mm/N, Mms: 2.47 g, Rms: 0.39 kg/s-, Xmax: 2.55 mm, Bl: 3.32 N/A, Md: 90, Sd: 36.3 cm

I don't know what to make of the additional parameters for the 8-ohm variant. Le also looks anomalous at about 20% of the
value of the 4-ohm driver (should be higher, maybe by a factor of 4?)

Last edited:

The T/S parameters for the 4-ohm TG9FD are here:

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

The actual measured values published at the techtalk forum of Parts Express for the tg9fd are:

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range (264-1064)

Re: 5.441 ohms, Fs: 103.0 Hz, Qts: .811, Qes: 1.139, Qms: 2.818, Le (1kHz): 0.5477 mH, Vas: 0.095 cuft, Effective Diameter: 3.25"

I'll try to get the parameters for the 6-ohm and 8-ohm variants if available, in due course, failing which it will need to be measured from a real driver.

Edit: These are the parameters for the TG9FD-10-08 (8-ohm variant):

Re: 7.2 ohms, Fs: 105.0 Hz, Qts: 0.72, Qes: 1.23, Qms: 1.8, Le (1kHz): 0.11 mH, Vas: 0.987 litre,
Cms: 0.5028 mm/N, Mms: 2.47 g, Rms: 0.39 kg/s-, Xmax: 2.55 mm, Bl: 3.32 N/A, Md: 90, Sd: 36.3 cm

I don't know what to make of the additional parameters for the 8-ohm variant. Le also looks anomalous at about 20% of the
value of the 4-ohm driver (should be higher, maybe by a factor of 4?)

Thanks for the links. I did a quick box calculation and simulation using the published data for the drivers and below are the details,

Height - 13.5", Width - 5.5" and Depth - 13".
The box will use an internal TL fold to optimize internal space.
The simulated response after using a compensation network is as below. It is currently showing simulation using a sealed enclosure. Actual simulation with TL loading will be possible only after building the boxes.
34si1ed.png

Excellent progress so For. Can this vifa project can be started as a seperate Thread?
As one FM said if a pair can be made for 1k to 2k,
Its sure to be a hit among DIYers.
Thanks linuxguru and Mr. Hari Iyer.
@Hari Iyer.For a newbie, can you briefly explain the advantages of a TL overthe conventional sealed/ported? TIA.

Excellent progress so For. Can this vifa project can be started as a seperate Thread?

Actually we were discussing the availability of Tymphany drivers for a group buy at low prices. The Vifa TG9FD driver T/S parameters were mentioned to as a referance because of the similarities is build materials. The Vifa drivers are also manufactured by Tymphany. No actual projects are being discussed in this thread. Only the possibilities of using these Tymphany drivers for various projects and types of enclosures. :)

As one FM said if a pair can be made for 1k to 2k,
Its sure to be a hit among DIYers.

Not sure if 1K / 2K is a decent budget. My carpenter here will charge more than that for labour.

@Hari Iyer.For a newbie, can you briefly explain the advantages of a TL overthe conventional sealed/ported? TIA.

A quick list of advantages,

- Low acoustic impedance
- Flatter impedance curve in camparison to sealed and vented enclosures in Advanced TL loading
- Absence of boom bass - Tight and well controlled lows - Allows corner placement in rooms
- Critically damped enclosure due to low acoustic impedance
- Excellent transient response due to lower acoustic impedance
- Uncompressed dynamic response across bandwidth
- Better center imaging of the low frequency
- Mids are smooth due to very low back pressure from low frequency

Excellent design objectives. You would be doing a great service to all the wannabe DIYers on the forum, me included. :clapping:

A quick list of advantages,

- Low acoustic impedance
- Flatter impedance curve in camparison to sealed and vented enclosures in Advanced TL loading
- Absence of boom bass - Tight and well controlled lows - Allows corner placement in rooms
- Critically damped enclosure due to low acoustic impedance
- Excellent transient response due to lower acoustic impedance
- Uncompressed dynamic response across bandwidth
- Better center imaging of the low frequency
- Mids are smooth due to very low back pressure from low frequency

Wishing you all the best. :thumbsup:

Excellent design objectives. You would be doing a great service to all the wannabe DIYers on the forum, me included. :clapping:

Wishing you all the best. :thumbsup:

Thanks Captain.

As a New Year gesture, I wish to offer this project at cost for first 10 FMs. I will request linuxguru to compile the list of first 10 buyers of this great driver and collect the amount after arriving at the cost estimates.

@linuxguru - please let me know the price for a pair of drivers for me to arrive at the final estimate for the build.

Cheers,

As a New Year gesture, I wish to offer this project at cost for first 10 FMs.

Hey that's great news, especially for those who are in and around Mumbai. Sadly this may not be a safe option for those staying far away due to the careless courier guys.:indifferent14: Remember Avidyarthy's speakers! :sad:

Would it be possible to include such members staying faraway who wish to build their own cabinets with your design in that list of 10? They could be given the box plans and in return, they make a small contribution to HFV. :)

Hey that's great news, especially for those who are in and around Mumbai. Sadly this may not be a safe option for those staying far away due to the careless courier guys.:indifferent14: Remember Avidyarthy's speakers! :sad:

Would it be possible to include such members staying faraway who wish to build their own cabinets with your design in that list of 10? They could be given the box plans and in return, they make a small contribution to HFV. :)

I believe that individual builds will be more expensive and time consuming. Also these drivers need to be measured in the box before the compensation network is build and after they have been measured. I will be hand building all these speakers individually and will measure each TS parameters which will not be possible for majority of diyers. I am planning to use a compesator which needs to be fine tuned after listening test & measurement again which will not be possible for diyers. I am planning to use high-grade components like polyester caps and MO resistors for the build with glass-epoxy pcbs. Also damping of the line will need to be adjusted after listening test which is more of an art rather than science. I have learned this the hard way now.

I have been shipping speakers now regularly to many buyers and there have been no major damage issues off-late. Its how good you pack them. Since these are very small foot print drivers I am not expecting any shipping damages. I am planning to keep the cost less than Rs.8000/- for the first 10FMs who are interested after i receive the price of the drivers from linuxguru. After 10FM this product can be made officially available from hifimart.com if required. It will be like hifivision's own product build by FMs.

As far as Mumbai is concerned its a very dry market for speakers. I am expecting only few members to respond from Pune and mostly from North and South of country.

Last edited:

Generous offer Hari. It might be good to make an assessment and offer built up speakers to those interested and drivers to others interested in them-depending on the numbers available and price.

Generous offer Hari. It might be good to make an assessment and offer built up speakers to those interested and drivers to others interested in them-depending on the numbers available and price.

Thanks George. I dont have the driver with me but will source it from linuxguru after the price of the drivers are available. I will be building from the final list provided by linuxguru after he ships the drivers to me. FMs can pay linuxguru directly for the drivers and i will charge only for the boxes, compensators and other materials used in the build. Will be a very transparent build with all information available on the post itself.

The GB for cabinets and drivers looks viable, but I'd advise keeping them separate to simplify logistics. Those who want Hari's TL cabinets may deal directly with him for whatever quantity they want, and those who want drivers may deal with me.

Today's driver updates: The count of requests (and committed purchases) has crossed 50 drivers this morning, not even counting my own requirements for possible line arrays, etc.

I also noted during inspection this morning that there are two different models which look physically identical, but have different sticker numbers. On measuring them, it turns out that the majority of the drivers are 6 ohms, and a few are 12 ohms (which are consistent with the sticker numbers).

Buyers may indicate their preference for each type, and I'll try to meet it depending on availability. As of now, I have only 3 spare 12 ohm drivers, but will check today for additional quantity. 12 ohms may be preferable for dual-driver and line-array applications, where they can be paralleled; while 6 ohms may be preferable for single-driver and HT satellite applications. The added complication is that the T/S parameters will differ between the 2 types, so they have to be measured (which is on my to-do list also).

Since i will be hand crafting these speakers, will request FMs to buy the drivers directly from linuxguru and if they want the advanced TL to be build by me then have the drivers directly shipped to me through linuxguru. I will be building the TL box pair for Rs.7200/- inclusive of compensation network (will use audiophile grade components) and shipment anywhere in India (expecting it to be around Rs.800/- for major metros). This offer will be for a minimum group buy of 10 FMs. I will prefer the 6 ohms driver over the 12 ohm version.

so are these going to be sattvik or tamasik or mansik or tantrik ?? :D:D

but seriously..

good luck with the build !!

mpw

so are these going to be sattvik or tamasik or mansik or tantwer r ?? :D:D

but seriously..

good luck with the build !!

mpw

Thanks mpw :lol::lol:

Like humans even speakers (read designers) has to pass through various stages and evolve from lower to higher realm of consciousness. By birth every one is sattivic, and only the surroundings make him rajasic or tamasic.
Going by the analogy will try and build as sattivic as possible and let's see if it gets influenced by other factors.:lol:

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back