Ugly Home Theater Hardware

MIS100

Let's face it. Home theater hardware is ugly and bulky.
I say this because very few people in India can afford a separate Home Theater room, so most of our equipment is placed in our living rooms.
The connecting wires hanging all around don't add to its beauty. Also, no matter how much we love our systems, our spouses will always make a face when we add/replace a new piece of hardware.

As far as TV is concerned, it can be passed on as a 'frame' with moving pictures hung on the wall. But what about the receiver or speakers or a Blue Ray Player or an XBox ? No matter how hard we try to hide them in cabinets, we can't take away their boxy ugliness. No wonder Sound Bars are becoming popular as their connection is easy with only a couple of connecting wires and their inconspicuous presence under the TV. But can they compare to our AVRs and Subs and other speakers?
No way!!

So what's the solution? I can't say. I dream of an invisible audio gear, that sounds great.

I say this because very few people in India can afford a separate Home Theater room, so most of our equipment is placed in our living rooms.
The connecting wires hanging all around don't add to its beauty. Also, no matter how much we love our systems, our spouses will always make a face when we add/replace a new piece of hardware.

As far as TV is concerned, it can be passed on as a 'frame' with moving pictures hung on the wall. But what about the receiver or speakers or a Blue Ray Player or an XBox ? No matter how hard we try to hide them in cabinets, we can't take away their boxy ugliness. No wonder Sound Bars are becoming popular as their connection is easy with only a couple of connecting wires and their inconspicuous presence under the TV. But can they compare to our AVRs and Subs and other speakers?
No way!!

So what's the solution? I can't say. I dream of an invisible audio gear, that sounds great.
There are in- wall HT solutions available, if you’ve got the dough. Completely invisible. I saw such a setup at Wattfeffects, Kolkata.

Also , the only ugly aspect of a HT setup , in my view , are the cables (that too can be managed). . Check the forums patiently, there are so many FMs with gorgeous home theatres tastefully setup right in their living or bedrooms.

Last edited:
If you feel that the hardware is ugly then in my humble opinion you might be in the wrong hobby. I've never bothered about what it looks like. If looks are important then perhaps lifestyle products are better suited than normal AV gear.

It all depends on the observer. I know some people who does not like bookshelves loaded with books in a living room but they are okay with large televisions. You cant argue with them because it is not a wise thing to argue with people whose television is bigger than their bookshelf. All av gear has an industrial design language built into them to work with human living environments. If you are able to hide wires, it is very much possible to make it integrate tastefully into a living room unless one is into super minimalist living rooms. But that is a different story altogether.

Last edited:
The solution is get a rack made that has both beauty for WAF n brains to keep things organised n cool

Attachments

• 68F92ABD-399D-4FC0-8012-2C931A86446C.jpeg
    68F92ABD-399D-4FC0-8012-2C931A86446C.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 50

No way!!

I do have a basic dedicated Home Theater in an 12X13 feet enclosure , It is very very beautiful!!!!,
...know the secret...?
Not many visit or dare to enter this "theatre".:D
...Why ?
it is a sight for sore eyes. ( IT'S EXACTLY as you have depicted in our first para! I can share the pics if I wanted to. but it is ugly , so avoiding it)

Funny part is , It never occurred or crossed my mind to hide/clean up. Its like, like your eyes always sees your Nose, but the Brain erases it out for you , unless you get conscious about it that it is blocking part of your view!

Never heeded to the holy advice from all Angels. Truth to be told, I stopped changing gears or upgrades that was on my bucket list just after the first few purchases. Possibly, cared to have an Optimum solutions than getting into the quest for the "Best" solutions.
So , in effect, I already had an implemented solution!.
....I'm happy about it.
...Sounds Beautiful,
...Looks okay to Great to my tastes, and the best part is , it feels like home!

sill on a lighter note, my suggestion of possible solutions for Others would be to visit Raj Mandir Cinema in jaipur , The Prasads in Hyd the Maheswari/Parmeshwari ( in the 80-90s - no idea of current affairs).... etc.;)

..an addendum.
putting in perspective, the hardware includes 4 pcs+printer+scanner,1 amp,1 avr ,7.1 PC speakers, 7.1 HT( mix and match), 2 DIY subwoofer, a Changer and pair of Bookshelf - hope you can imagine how bad the room can get.

Last edited:
Visit any movie theatre where the sounds are awesome but everything hidden. Just like false ceilings, get false walls as well, hide everything and no more yelling from wife. Easy peasy

Well not completely true cause "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder," so what’s ugly for you may not be ugly for everyone. I love that my Rythmik subs are big and bulky which commends a mighty presence visually. I drool at bulky speakers,amps,subwoofers and will never hide them. But as you said many will have totally opposite opinion and taste. I enjoy looking at my HT room but when my mom visited this weekend she told me this looks like a beggar room :)
Well it does exist but will come at a high cost. You will be spending equal amount to your gears just for the interior work. Check international forums and you will find many such high end set ups

Can you do this?
(Needs adjacent hidden space)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back