Ultimate budget starter build

thechordmaster

Hi

Been a lurker in the forums for quite a while and have finally decided to take the plunge with an extremely budget stereo setup.

I will predominately be listening to a lot of APP, MLTR that have a driving towards the sunset sense of nostalgia.

Being very tight on budget
I’m looking at the Norge and Pioneer BS22s. Would this pairing help fulfill the above tastes?

Which Norge are you looking at?
I am also in similar situation.
I was thinking of FX Audio D502 with the BS22LR
The 2060 ubt which works to 14.5k

Looks like this will be the right fit considering a lot of FMs have described it as warm sounding. Not sure how the FX signature is.

The 2060 ubt which works to 14.5k

Looks like this will be the right fit considering a lot of FMs have described it as warm sounding. Not sure how the FX signature is.
You can also go for the 2060 without the "UBT" - if you don't want the USB/Bluetooth functionality. It will be slightly lower cost-wise.

Instead of Norge why don't you try this pioneer amp now at an attractive offer price from Hifimart.

And for speakers these Mission lx2s are a steal . Lx1s are even cheaper ,almost same as bs22 . Slightly increase your budget and go for th lx2s and you won't regret.

And for speakers these Mission lx2s are a steal . Lx1s are even cheaper ,almost same as bs22 . Slightly increase your budget and go for th lx2s and you won't regret.
Thats truly a steal deal! i feel like rushing out and getting these just because the price is fantastic!

Instead of Norge why don't you try this pioneer amp now at an attractive offer price from Hifimart.
Another good option would be the Yamaha RS-202. its got 100Wx2, @ 8ohms instead of the pioneers 30W x 2@ 8ohms, it has bluetooth integrated and is available on amazon for 19K.

Your options and analysis:
1. FX Audio D502 with the BS22LR - ChiFi amp with plethora of connectivity options. Has low neutral to mid bright characteristics which are amped or toned down depending upon speakers' own signature. Has decent amount of power to run Pioneers but low end would be lacking due to power delivery characteristics of the amplifier and also due to frequency response of the speakers themselves. Range of input options and option of adding a subwoofer later makes the amplifier a good choice but low sensitivity of speakers themselves make them hard to drive. If you consider Mission LX-2 also, they have marginally better sensitivity and frequency response is better than BS22 but still won't suggest this pairing.

My Verdict- Skip it if you have the budget

2. Norge amplifier(2060/2060UBT/Concerto Gold 1000/2000)- Norge is the NAD of India. Whichever of the 4 you opt for, they'll sound warm and energetic with ample dynamic headroom. Probable issue that you would run into with them is of amp heating during long listening sessions and the speaker pop when powered. Giving ample room for air to move around the amp will take care of the first issue, keeping volume pot to zero when switching the amp on will fix the latter. Norge amps can drive both BS22 and LX-2 with ease. Caveat of going with Norge is future expansion/subwoofer integration issue and a minor one would be lack of refinement in the long run.

My Verdict- If casual listening is the aim and plan to upgrade after 2-3 years then go with Norge but pair them with LX-2 for better experience.

3. Pioneer Amp and BS22- Here budget would be an issue for you. Add to that while amp does have good dynamic headroom, you will have to crank it up to get the speakers really going if you pair it with BS22. Pro of going with this combo is no equipment matching issue here and probability of getting a good deal for combo from the dealer. It has Line Out so adding a subwoofer in the setup won't be an issue. It has "Loudness" button so with that active, you won't loose dynamic range of the sound on low volume so great for late night easy listening sessions.

My Verdict- Amp is good if you go for better speakers

My opinion- As you haven't mentioned anywhere what your exact budget is, it all is hypothetical. If tight on budget, get LX-2 and pair them with a cheaper Norge. If have some leeway then get Pioneer amp and LX-2. In any setup, more so in initial ones, better spend more on speakers than on amplifier. LX-2 are better than BS22. Moreover LX-2 have a neutral signature at normal levels but when driven hard, they deliver punchy bass. BS22 are bright, better suited for near field desktop setups. Push them too hard, they loose control bass goes all over the place.
A nugget for your decision making:
Pair warm amps with bright speakers and vice versa.
Pair low power amps with high sensitivity. There's no inverse for it.

1. FX Audio D502 with the BS22LR - ChiFi amp with plethora of connectivity options. Has low neutral to mid bright characteristics which are amped or toned down depending upon speakers' own signature. Has decent amount of power to run Pioneers but low end would be lacking due to power delivery characteristics of the amplifier and also due to frequency response of the speakers themselves. Range of input options and option of adding a subwoofer later makes the amplifier a good choice but low sensitivity of speakers themselves make them hard to drive. If you consider Mission LX-2 also, they have marginally better sensitivity and frequency response is better than BS22 but still won't suggest this pairing.

2. Norge amplifier(2060/2060UBT/Concerto Gold 1000/2000)- Norge is the NAD of India. Whichever of the 4 you opt for, they'll sound warm and energetic with ample dynamic headroom. Probable issue that you would run into with them is of amp heating during long listening sessions and the speaker pop when powered. Giving ample room for air to move around the amp will take care of the first issue, keeping volume pot to zero when switching the amp on will fix the latter. Norge amps can drive both BS22 and LX-2 with ease. Caveat of going with Norge is future expansion/subwoofer integration issue and a minor one would be lack of refinement in the long run.

My Verdict- If casual listening is the aim and plan to upgrade after 2-3 years then go with Norge but pair them with LX-2 for better experience.

3. Pioneer Amp and BS22- Here budget would be an issue for you. Add to that while amp does have good dynamic headroom, you will have to crank it up to get the speakers really going if you pair it with BS22. Pro of going with this combo is no equipment matching issue here and probability of getting a good deal for combo from the dealer. It has Line Out so adding a subwoofer in the setup won't be an issue. It has "Loudness" button so with that active, you won't loose dynamic range of the sound on low volume so great for late night easy listening sessions.

My opinion- As you haven't mentioned anywhere what your exact budget is, it all is hypothetical. If tight on budget, get LX-2 and pair them with a cheaper Norge. If have some leeway then get Pioneer amp and LX-2. In any setup, more so in initial ones, better spend more on speakers than on amplifier. LX-2 are better than BS22. Moreover LX-2 have a neutral signature at normal levels but when driven hard, they deliver punchy bass. BS22 are bright, better suited for near field desktop setups. Push them too hard, they loose control bass goes all over the place.
Wow this is helpful.

Not the OP but in same boat.
I wanted to connect the FX D502 to a TV and then use, which is why I did not look at the Norge ones as they lack Optical connection.
Budget is around 15-20k for everything. Want to slowly transition to a 5.1 HT around 50-60k.

Wow this is helpful.

Not the OP but in same boat.
I wanted to connect the FX D502 to a TV and then use, which is why I did not look at the Norge ones as they lack Optical connection.
Budget is around 15-20k for everything. Want to slowly transition to a 5.1 HT around 50-60k.
Then maximum part of your budget should go towards speakers which will be your primary L-R channels in currently intended setup and would do well in your future 5.1 too. In future, expanding to multi-channel setup won't make them redundant. They could still be your main L-R speakers. Worst case scenario would be relegating them to Rear duties in 5.1. Even then they'll add up to overall value and SQ of your setup.
With that in mind, look for pre-owned speakers as in budget of 20K, your choices for a new pair would be limited.
My suggestion to you would be that if you are going for D502, then pair it with a speaker that has sensitivity of more than 86dB. This combo would get sufficiently loud for TV/Home usage.
A more budget friendly pairing with the amp would be Dayton Audio speakers from Diyaudiocart, namely B652-AIR or MK402X. Both can theoretically get to almost 99dB with D502. Many people have used and repurposed Dayton Audio stuff for and from their initial setup. They work well with ChiFi products, perform well and are sturdy. Depending upon which one you choose, you can keep the entire setup of D502 and Daytons within 18-20K

That last line looks like a leaf out of a secretly guarded book of audiophile testaments. Will keep that in mind! Thanks.
Every time I hear the term neutral in my head I assume good only for acoustic and classical genres.

Considering my tastes predominantly lean towards 80s/90s pop and the occasional Rahman, do the missions deliver? The price and reviews looks truly tempting!

@thechordmaster as this is going to be your first build and, since you have been lurking around on the forum, lurk a bit more and go through this thread before getting into any OLX deal; https://www.hifivision.com/threads/olx-for-pre-owned-gear.79697/#post-877529
Do read @SEANDSILVA 's posts. His words there have their worth in gold and must've been spoken in a drunken stupor. ;)
Don't go for AVRs for a stereo setup. An AVR for 5K, you can bet your left nut there's some kind of phuckery afoot. Even if it turns out to be a functioning unit, then also we are talking about a product whose potential and performance is wasted as its not being used as intended by the manufacturer i.e. driving 2 channels instead of 5.
Wharfedale Speakers look good in the pictures but unless the seller can provide you a full function check through video or over video call or you can personally inspect them, don't be tempted by them. There are loads of ways a speaker can turn out to be kaput whilst looking clean and pristine.
Moreover, most of Wharfedale speakers have either a laid back or warm signature. Pairing them with an amplifier such as Norge or NAD would be a basshead's dream but a nightmare for almost everyone else. So when working with a small budget, your options are limited thus you have to prioritize your spending.
I also listen to music from 80s and A R Rahman and whilst I haven't auditioned Mission speakers personally, the respect they command makes them a safe bet for anyone getting their feet wet in audiophile game.
Norge amp and LX2, Pioneer amp and LX2, both are good starting points in a budget of 25-30K. To cut costs, you can take ChiFi route and look at D502 and Dayton Audio stuff.
Other route, totally unexplored in this thread, is going for pair of active bookshelf speakers, where in 15-20K range, there are some really good options.
At the end of the day, it's about you. What you want to listen and how and for that how much can you spend?
P.S- Look at this

Haha... I did read Silva’s thread and have scored a great number of gadgets and devices on Olx.

Thats a great point about powered speakers you mentioned... The 1700BT looks tempting for a starter such as yours truly. Any experience with this with the aforementioned music genres?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back