Unknown Port on Yamaha Rx-V663 AV Receiver. What does it do?

rajnav23

Hello folks, I am new here. I own a Yamaha Rx-v663 Avr and since it lacks a USB port and neither does it have any Lan ports or wifi, I have been living with the belief that this Avr can never be upgraded. I really wish I could upgrade the chips in some way so it starts to support HDMI 1.4 and maybe I get to use the HDMI ports as ARC ports at least. Really I am in love with the tonality and sound signature I get from this Avr. Maybe my ears are just used to it too much. So dont want to sell it just for the HDMI port upgrade.

But I recently noticed there is one mysterious port on the rear panel right next to the hdmi out port, without any labels to indicate what it is. Neither could I find any info about it anywhere on the Internet or in the user manual. Please see the snap attached and can someone let me know if you know what this port is for? I am just getting excited by the thought that what if I could upgrade the avr through that port in some way... :D

Thanks much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220218_175546.jpg
    IMG_20220218_175546.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 33
Looks like a card reader like some I saw on cameras. The older models could read, minuscule now but Big Capacity then "256Mb" etc.

Hello folks, I am new here. I own a Yamaha Rx-v663 Avr and since it lacks a USB port and neither does it have any Lan ports or wifi, I have been living with the belief that this Avr can never be upgraded. I really wish I could upgrade the chips in some way so it starts to support HDMI 1.4 and maybe I get to use the HDMI ports as ARC ports at least. Really I am in love with the tonality and sound signature I get from this Avr. Maybe my ears are just used to it too much. So dont want to sell it just for the HDMI port upgrade.

But I recently noticed there is one mysterious port on the rear panel right next to the hdmi out port, without any labels to indicate what it is. Neither could I find any info about it anywhere on the Internet or in the user manual. Please see the snap attached and can someone let me know if you know what this port is for? I am just getting excited by the thought that what if I could upgrade the avr through that port in some way... :D

Thanks much in advance.

Here is the manual

IMHO I think its a service port for technicians to flash the Mother board when required since this model does not have a dedicated USB slot.

Well, you can safely ignore that port. It is not for end user usage. That is a service port, to be used by service engineers.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back