Upgrade DAC - Swara to Thyaga (Acoustic Portrait)

aurobindosaha

Hi
I am considering to upgrade my Acoustic Portrait Swara DAC + Streamer to Thyaga. The Thyaga DAC is bit pricey for my budget, and I am deliberating is I should.
I have all AP seperates in my audio chain Thyaga MS 610 Speakers, Swara integrated amp, and Swara DAC + Streamer with cables supplied by AP. I have been quite satisfied so far. I visited Shiva recently and heard Thyaga DAC, and it's far superior listening experience compared to what I have now. The vocals are more forward and central, the highs and lows are more seperates and sound stage is so spacious even in his 15 by 15 room. He has acoustically designed the listening studio, may be the goodness has to do with that room design. In my home, I have 20 by 14 room, with right side having more open space, which does not make my room design a good one for audio listening. Anyway, I am stuck with the room design that I have.

To experienced AP listeners, may I request your suggestion about - is it worth upgrading to Thyaga DAC keeping rest of the equipments unchanged? It's about 6x the price of Swara DaC+Streamer.

Secondly, I would need a streamer or media server because Swara DAC + Streamer has no digital out. I am planning to use my 15 year old PC, but I do not have room to add a monitor there. Swara DAC + Streamer has been so compact set up that I liked. More than local files, I need streaming services such as Spotify Hifi or Amazon HD because I explore many tracks through music services subscriptions and hardly buy them to keep permanently. How can I achieve that in small space, can I control the media center in the PC with phone?

I am attaching the picture of my room to give you an idea of my room set up. Suggestion for improvement is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Aurobindo

IMG_20211201_104424-compressed.jpg

To experienced AP listeners, may I request your suggestion about - is it worth upgrading to Thyaga DAC keeping rest of the equipments unchanged? It's about 6x the price of Swara DaC+Streamer.

I have heard the Thiyaga DAC and I do believe its right up there with the really good ones and you may not need to upgrade post that. The source is absolutely crucial and you need to put the best there and in my opinion will never regret it.

From what I have heard Acoustic Portrait sounds the best as a system ie with all AP components. the new price on Sale definitely makes it worth it.

Add:
On streaming, it should be possible from a phone , which I would assume will be far better than a 15 year old PC , using any OTG cable, only problem would be convenience !

Last edited:
One possible solution:
The DNM AS2 streamer does it’s job (streaming) efficiently and costs 8200/-.
You can use the Thiaga DAC using the DNMs optical out.
1639817620256.jpeg

One possible solution:
The DNM AS2 streamer does it’s job (streaming) efficiently and costs 8200/-.
You can use the Thiaga DAC using the DNMs optical out.
View attachment 65342
Thanks for your suggestion. USB Out would have been ideal since Thyaga DAC as upsampler for USB input.

Would you recommend Amazon Eco Link? With its Digital Out USB, probably I can avoid it's DAC and fees digital streaming output to Thyaga DAC USB input.

Echo Link - Stream hi-fi music to your stereo system https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FRCF88R/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E5T8PR12S3D3JX4CQ7FP

I have heard the Thiyaga DAC and I do believe its right up there with the really good ones and you may not need to upgrade post that. The source is absolutely crucial and you need to put the best there and in my opinion will never regret it.

From what I have heard Acoustic Portrait sounds the best as a system ie with all AP components. the new price on Sale definitely makes it worth it.

Add:
On streaming, it should be possible from a phone , which I would assume will be far better than a 15 year old PC , using any OTG cable, only problem would be convenience !
That is a good idea to attach an old Android device and play directly. I am thinking is using Nexus 7 tab for that.
Problem is Android does lot of change to music quality before it outputs the audio in its Digital out USB. Apps like USB Pro can help bypass that, but it does not support streaming.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestion. USB Out would have been ideal since Thyaga DAC as upsampler for USB input.

Would you recommend Amazon Eco Link? With its Digital Out USB, probably I can avoid it's DAC and fees digital streaming output to Thyaga DAC USB input.

Echo Link - Stream hi-fi music to your stereo system https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FRCF88R/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E5T8PR12S3D3JX4CQ7FP
I have not heard this myself, but reviews are underwhelming. I personally would not buy this.
Eg: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/amazon-echo-link-amp

Have you if considered a USB transport/bridge would fit your requirements?
Allo USBridge, for example.

Cheers,
Raghu

Secondly, I would need a streamer or media server because Swara DAC + Streamer has no digital out. I am planning to use my 15 year old PC, but I do not have room to add a monitor there. Swara DAC + Streamer has been so compact set up that I liked. More than local files, I need streaming services such as Spotify Hifi or Amazon HD because I explore many tracks through music services subscriptions and hardly buy them to keep permanently. How can I achieve that in small space, can I control the media center in the PC with phone?
You can use the allo usbridge signature. It is meant to connect good dacs to its clean USB out. In this case you can connnect your Thyaga dac to it and get all kind of streamer functionality, tidal, airplay, etc, but not amazon hd music. For amazon HD music alone you have the amazon echo link which you can connect to any free inputs on the amp. The Echo Link's onboard DAC is a 24bit/192kHz item that, by Amazon's own admission, is considerably better than the DACs found in its Echo speakers. It can do hi-res audio.

There is another option to listen to amazon music using the 3.5 mm out of amazon echo flex and connect to a free input on the amp. But I doubt that it will be of exceptional quality.

This thread might be helpful
Thread 'USB Music Streamer'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/usb-music-streamer.82092/
Thank you. This is helpful

You can use the allo usbridge signature. It is meant to connect good dacs to its clean USB out. In this case you can connnect your Thyaga dac to it and get all kind of streamer functionality, tidal, airplay, etc, but not amazon hd music. For amazon HD music alone you have the amazon echo link which you can connect to any free inputs on the amp. The Echo Link's onboard DAC is a 24bit/192kHz item that, by Amazon's own admission, is considerably better than the DACs found in its Echo speakers. It can do hi-res audio.

There is another option to listen to amazon music using the 3.5 mm out of amazon echo flex and connect to a free input on the amp. But I doubt that it will be of exceptional quality.
Allo usbridge looks interesting. Amazon Link is probably rules out for low audio quality. Thanks for suggestion

Cheers,
Raghu
Just now looked into it. Looks interesting. Thanks.

Cheers,
Raghu
What else can be considered for streamer transport that has USB output? I do not need in built DAC there, if I go for Thyaga DAC

Hi
I am considering to upgrade my Acoustic Portrait Swara DAC + Streamer to Thyaga. The Thyaga DAC is bit pricey for my budget, and I am deliberating is I should.
I have all AP seperates in my audio chain Thyaga MS 610 Speakers, Swara integrated amp, and Swara DAC + Streamer with cables supplied by AP. I have been quite satisfied so far. I visited Shiva recently and heard Thyaga DAC, and it's far superior listening experience compared to what I have now. The vocals are more forward and central, the highs and lows are more seperates and sound stage is so spacious even in his 15 by 15 room. He has acoustically designed the listening studio, may be the goodness has to do with that room design. In my home, I have 20 by 14 room, with right side having more open space, which does not make my room design a good one for audio listening. Anyway, I am stuck with the room design that I have.

I am attaching the picture of my room to give you an idea of my room set up. Suggestion for improvement is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Aurobindo

View attachment 65320

Off topic
Earlier, you had the setup on the longer wall. What made you change?

I have the earlier Thiyaga transport and DAC. I find them really good.

Thank you. This is helpful

Allo usbridge looks interesting. Amazon Link is probably rules out for low audio quality. Thanks for suggestion

Just now looked into it. Looks interesting. Thanks.

What else can be considered for streamer transport that has USB output? I do not need in built DAC there, if I go for Thyaga DAC
The allo usbridge is a unique device. It doesn't have a inbuilt dac and is built on the RPI compute module. So it gets the same kernel as Raspberry PI. For the best result, the usbridge signature should be powered by a linear power supply. One can use the Shanti PS from allo to do that.

The other option is to connect something like USB regen from uptone audio to your PC to get a clean USB output and connect your DAC to it. I have both USB regen and the allo usbridge signature. The usbridge is a far better value proposition than usb regen. With good quality PS, it costs almost the same as USB regen.

Off topic
Earlier, you had the setup on the longer wall. What made you change?

I have the earlier Thiyaga transport and DAC. I find them really good.
I moved to Bangalore to Kolkata few years back. Living room in Kolkata is more elongated, but I liked the more relaxed listening experience of Bangalore set up. Probably the side board on left and open space in right is creating unbalanced reflection in Kolkata room set up.

Yes Thayaga DAC is fabulous. I am trying to select a good streaming transport to input to that DAC

For USB based source, Allo USBridge or USBridge signature are really good. With clean power, don't think there is much room for improvement though there are so many options available even at much higher price points.

Another option could be a PC or Mac mini which is optimised for music. There is a Mac mini in sale section with fan mod if you are looking in that direction.

Bluesound Node seem to have a good feedback from many in terms of quality and ease of use but I have never used or auditioned the same. But the digital output is again SPDIF and not USB.

For USB based source, Allo USBridge or USBridge signature are really good. With clean power, don't think there is much room for improvement though there are so many options available even at much higher price points.

Another option could be a PC or Mac mini which is optimised for music. There is a Mac mini in sale section with fan mod if you are looking in that direction.

Bluesound Node seem to have a good feedback from many in terms of quality and ease of use but I have never used or auditioned the same. But the digital output is again SPDIF and not USB.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely keep Allo USBridge Signature and Shanti linear power source as my wishlist item. Before that let me check with Siva if he can build a similar one for me by taking away the DAC from Swara Streamer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely keep Allo USBridge Signature and Shanti linear power source as my wishlist item. Before that let me check with Siva if he can build a similar one for me by taking away the DAC from Swara Streamer.
Do post on the thread in case of any update. In my opinion, Shiva built a dac module on the pi. Removing the dac section would only leave pi. While you can use just a raspberry pi for streaming and get USB output from it, dedicated streamers are better in performance.

Just came across this. AP does have a streamer named m2rpi using the raspberry pi and it is not expensive.

@aurobindosaha , I am using a Chromebook as a streamer with Apple Music.
It is fairly light weight OS with the advantage of a touch screen and great battery life. You can side load all Android apps as well.
When streaming apple music output is fixed at 48 , which is alright if you stream CD quality and mostly listen to Indian music.
At 18-20K it is pretty good chioce IMO.
MI Box 4 is may be an alternative as well, with HDMI output connected to your TV and optical out to the DAC.
Supports bluetooth and chromecast for casual listening.

Just came across this. AP does have a streamer named m2rpi using the raspberry pi and it is not expensive.

The OP wants USB output. The Swara is a nice DAC and streamer but it has only analog output.

This is what the OP already has

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back