Upgrade - How to do you dispose off old stuff

churfsan

Hi,

Many of us here may have upgraded our set up over the last few years. I thought that it would be interesting to share our experiences as to how we got rid of the older stuff in the process of the upgrade.

1. Did you go for an exchange deal when buying new equipment?
2. Did you sell it off separately - if so, how? classifieds? word-of-mouth?
3. How old was the equipment when you upgraded?
4. What is the % price you could recover when selling / exchanging old stuff?
5. What has been your experience is selling / exchanging through classifieds in these forums / others?

It would be interesting to hear from all members, as many of us would have faced / will face this dilemma sooner or later.

Looking forward to hear from you, friends

Churfsan

Hi,

Many of us here may have upgraded our set up over the last few years. I thought that it would be interesting to share our experiences as to how we got rid of the older stuff in the process of the upgrade.

5. What has been your experience is selling / exchanging through classifieds in these forums / others?

It would be interesting to hear from all members, as many of us would have faced / will face this dilemma sooner or later.

Churfsan

I have always believed give and it will be given to you so I always give them away for free. Usually someone deserving and particularly those who cannot afford them, but I know personally that they will take good care of them...

I have always believed give and it will be given to you so I always give them away for free. Usually someone deserving and particularly those who cannot afford them, but I know personally that they will take good care of them...

BOSS! We need to meet.:D
chandu.

Hi,

Churfsan

You can always check with the dealer , in most cases he/she will be in a position to offer you a trade-in option. This is quick , no hasssles but many times you get less for your used gear.

Next option is to sell your old gear and then upgrade. You can use this forum for your sale advt. Also tell your friends and AV dealers in your city about it. This path is rather time consuming and you need to be very patient as this may take several weeks / months to sell a gear.

Used gears fetch value depending on their condition, popularity of that brand/ model. Gear less than a year may get 70% of the MSRP and then after it looses 5-7% per completed year (assuming that the gear is in good condition, 8/10+ and no repair jobs carried out) , 3 years old gear trades at 50-60% of MSRP.

Though it is quite safe to buy pre-owned speakers and cables those are rather difficult to sell , Integrated Amps sell faster. CD players are the toughest to sell.

normally all the dealers now a days take back the old stuffs, i purchased a speaker from bangalore and the dealer was kind enough to take back my B&W 602 speakers for a fairly good price. According to me trading with the dealers is the best thing , it is difficult for us to sell a stuff . Selling a second hand stuff in India is a difficult task , i suppose.

regards

I have done a mix. Eitehr trade in or give it away for dirt cheap. Ultimately it is determined by finances and the flexilibyt. For instance I am reasonably well to do financially as well as I prefer to get a fair bit of things from the states directly (no offence to EU but there is amuch larger selection in US). I change some eqiupment every 2 yrs on the average and put the old ones up for sale for dirt cheap. For instance I sold my yamaha rx-v657 for 10K after only 2 yrs of purchasing it brand new.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back