Upgrade suggestions

Well that explains it. The TV is degrading the sound, possibly downmixing to 2.0 and then the AVR needs more gain on it to produce audible sound. Are you getting dolby digital+ displayed on AVR while playing netflix? How is the TV audio connected to AVR?
I think you mentioned about bluetooth sounding better, probably because it is natively 2.0, so gain required is less on part of AVR.

Also i initially purchased amazon kindle stick and connected it directly to my Avr.. but then also i used to feel audio performance issues. I called up amazon and they told to connect it to tv directy for the kind of audio problem i ws facing( i found this to be baseless) but then i upgraded my tv returned my amazon stick and till date have the same issue( bluetooth sounding much better compared to netflix youtube amazon prime).

Sir
I have set the center to small crossover at 80. Done mcacc too multiple times. But i always felt the volume lacking. The only reason i used to manually crank up the channel levels.

Ok great.. Even-though you would have set the speaker settings correctly, sometimes unaware of engaging movie preset modes like Pure direct/ straight functions would over ride the crossover settings and treat all speakers are large..

So try changing movie preset in AVR while playing movies and observe for differences if any..

Ok great.. Even-though you would have set the speaker settings correctly, sometimes unaware of engaging movie preset modes like Pure direct/ straight functions would over ride the crossover settings and treat all speakers are large..

So try changing movie preset in AVR while playing movies and observe for differences if any..

Sir i tried every setting i could find but dialogue didnt improve..i aways feel if someone knowledgable could come to my place and check my system. Dealers have very little knowledge here in delhi. Do we have such professionals?

Hi

Check these things first...

Go to your TV settings and check what is the Audio OUT settings kept....HDMI.....Bitstream, Downmix etc?

Next....please go to your AVR and check MANUALLY what is the Source Level kept at? Since most channels , You Tube etc are very LOW...please manually crank it up to +6 or whatever is the setting available on Pioneer AVR....

Also.....for your center speaker....keep cross over at 100hz and change it to large.....

Slowly then try to increase the volume and ..share the outcome with us...I think this will resolve it....

Hi

Check these things first...

Go to your TV settings and check what is the Audio OUT settings kept....HDMI.....Bitstream, Downmix etc?

Next....please go to your AVR and check MANUALLY what is the Source Level kept at? Since most channels , You Tube etc are very LOW...please manually crank it up to +6 or whatever is the setting available on Pioneer AVR....

Also.....for your center speaker....keep cross over at 100hz and change it to large.....

Slowly then try to increase the volume and ..share the outcome with us...I think this will resolve it....

ok sir
Currently in office. Will do as asked. The audio out setting in my TV is RECEIVER(HDMI). The source level you mentioned is currently at +6db. The input volume absorber i had mentioned earlier is actually under the source option only. Ill change the center level to Large and crossover at 100. will update you by 10pm.

ok sir
Currently in office. Will do as asked. The audio out setting in my TV is RECEIVER(HDMI). The source level you mentioned is currently at +6db. The input volume absorber i had mentioned earlier is actually under the source option only. Ill change the center level to Large and crossover at 100. will update you by 10pm.
I suppose it must have been a typo and he must have meant to keep the centre at small.
I would highly recommend you to download a high quality dts video /movie and try playing with a laptop.

I suppose it must have been a typo and he must have meant to keep the centre at small.
I would highly recommend you to download a high quality dts video /movie and try playing with a laptop.

Also if you can help me find a source for the downoad. Or torrent is the way to go?

Wow thats really high and does not sound right. Are these numbers set by the Auto Setup? Center at +11 is a Red Flag right away.

Well you are right. By budget, I mean, get the best one you can in your budget. A great place to check is OLX, Hifiads, and the For Sale section in this forum. Great deals come up once in a while. I am also looking to upgrade my Sub.

MaSh

I read over at audiohoics that keeping the fronts at -5db and centre at +5db will make the dialogue more pronounced? Would +5 be manageable... and also it says increasing the channel level has the same impact as that of increasing the volume. Increasing the channel level on its own wont impact the speakers.. is that so?

Ok so i have drastically reduced my db levels now. My fronts being at +2b and centre at +4db. Is this fine? So now ill be playing movies at around -15db with 0 db being the max volume. If you play your marantz at that level, this means my pioneer isnt performing any inferior.. theres some problem with my ears i guess :p

Ha ha all rooms are different, every ear is different. What seems Okay to me, may not be Okay to you. This is why we are all here discussing, switching components, etc to end up in a room with a setup that our individual ears like. Its a vicious circle, trust me.

I read over at audiohoics that keeping the fronts at -5db and centre at +5db will make the dialogue more pronounced? Would +5 be manageable... and also it says increasing the channel level has the same impact as that of increasing the volume. Increasing the channel level on its own wont impact the speakers.. is that so?

The level is dependent on your room. The dB they have mentioned is just a level difference they are refering to. When I had a Center, I used to increase it by around 2 dB over what the Auto Setup set it to.

The thread seems to have made progressed and you have got some excellent suggestions from members. I am sure once you have implemented them, the sound would be better.

MaSh

Nopes....no typo....I suggested to keep it large and slowly increase the volume during playback and see if it makes a difference....

So
Finally i tweaked every setting i could find and unfortunately could not reach to a very concrete conclusion.
1)First i was asked to check tv settings...so hdmi audio format is bitstream (only other option available being PCM) then came audio format which was selected by default at dts neo 2:5 changed it to dolby digital( though not much to differentiate between the two)...
2) then came the centre level settings. Changed it to large with crossover being 100hz.
3) reduced the channel level to 0 for fronts and +3db for center.
Now comes the setting whivh actually mde the difference and i request you experts to put some light on this.
4) under the source tab there was an option input volume absorber as i had mentioned earlier ranging between -12db to +12db. I took the level all the way upto +12db.
Now when i play movies around -15db level, the dialogue is loud.
Also when selected netflix it showed DTS on my avr screen.

Now one thing to which we dont hve a solution yet is why my bluetooth performance is louder compared to netflix, amazon or youtube. I guess my tv is somehwhere to be blamed.. what should i do? How should i figure this out?

Plz note- i will quote what i read about input volume absorber on pioneer's site.
"Adjust the volume difference between the devices connected to the unit".

Do give your valuable suggestions :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back