Upgrade to 5.1.2 Atmos set up

Vikramdeals

Hi All,

I need your help to upgrade from my 2.0 set up to 5.1.2 Atmos set up.

My current set up includes :

• Marantz SR 5014
  • Tannoy Mercury V4i Floor Standers
I have a budget of INR 40 – 50K for this upgrade and I am evaluating following solution option:

• Buy a sub of good quality and leave the rest of the set up (centre, surround and Atmos (2)) for later as budget is limited and can be a constraint Or
  • If possible, in the budget mentioned above, if I can get entire 3.1.2 set up
I have a L shape living room for this setup. I am enclosing some pictures with the current set up for reference as it may influence the solution option to consider.

Please can you help and recommend:

• Which of the solution options stated above will be good to go and why?
  • Additionally if you can recommend speaker systems and sub within the budget stated above?
  • Would satellite speakers or Wireless speakers be good for the living room set up to avoid too much wiring and if possible within the budget above?
  • Also, I read somewhere, that it is advisable to have a 5.2.2 set up vs 5.1.2. Any thoughts on that with the above budget constraint
I will be grateful for your suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks.

Note: Below three images are of same room however, since, all the dimensions were not visible in single image, I ended up taking three screenshots if it helps any way.

Layout 1.PNGLayout 2.PNGLayout 3.PNG

Hi All,

I need your help to upgrade from my 2.0 set up to 5.1.2 Atmos set up.

My current set up includes :

• Marantz SR 5014
  • Tannoy Mercury V4i Floor Standers
I have a budget of INR 40 – 50K for this upgrade and I am evaluating following solution option:

• Buy a sub of good quality and leave the rest of the set up (centre, surround and Atmos (2)) for later as budget is limited and can be a constraint Or
  • If possible, in the budget mentioned above, if I can get entire 3.1.2 set up
I have a L shape living room for this setup. I am enclosing some pictures with the current set up for reference as it may influence the solution option to consider.

Please can you help and recommend:

• Which of the solution options stated above will be good to go and why?
  • Additionally if you can recommend speaker systems and sub within the budget stated above?
  • Would satellite speakers or Wireless speakers be good for the living room set up to avoid too much wiring and if possible within the budget above?
  • Also, I read somewhere, that it is advisable to have a 5.2.2 set up vs 5.1.2. Any thoughts on that with the above budget constraint
I will be grateful for your suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks.

Note: Below three images are of same room however, since, all the dimensions were not visible in single image, I ended up taking three screenshots if it helps any way.

View attachment 49139View attachment 49140View attachment 49141
With a budget of 50 k the best upgrade for you will be to add a subwoofer IMO. 2.0 is a incomplete set up for movies and 3.1.2 is even more waste cause not all contents are atmos. A good 2.1 set up will be good for both movies and music. Later you can add surrounds, centre channel and complete a good 5.1 set up. Later you can expand to 5.1.2 since the atmos speakers won’t cost much and are available from 6.5K. Many will suggest 3.0 since centre channel is important for movies but it’s totally a wrong approach. A 2.1 is the right approach and the best way to start your HT build up.

With a budget of 50 k the best upgrade for you will be to add a subwoofer IMO. 2.0 is a incomplete set up for movies and 3.1.2 is even more waste cause not all contents are atmos. A good 2.1 set up will be good for both movies and music. Later you can add surrounds, centre channel and complete a good 5.1 set up. Later you can expand to 5.1.2 since the atmos speakers won’t cost much and are available from 6.5K. Many will suggest 3.0 since centre channel is important for movies but it’s totally a wrong approach. A 2.1 is the right approach and the best way to start your HT build up.

Thanks a lot mate. When you say “3.1.2 is even more waste cause not all contents are atmos” is it because atmos would not sound great with 2 speakers? Actually, when I said 3..1.2 in my post above I meant addition to my current 2.0.

Thanks

Thanks a lot mate. When you say “3.1.2 is even more waste cause not all contents are atmos” is it because atmos would not sound great with 2 speakers? Actually, when I said 3..1.2 in my post above I meant addition to my current 2.0.

Thanks
5.1.2 will sound good and that’s the best you can do with the your avr. I mean atmos set up 3.1.2 with no surrounds is waste cause not all contents are atmos where as 5.1 is quite common.

Thanks

As per my understanding, theoretically Surrounds help you create a horizontal dimension for moving objects and Atmos helps create the Vertical dimension.

Most of the movies make use of Surrounds effectively and very few movies are present which are encoded to Dolby Atmos. So you would always be better of by investing in surround speakers first.

Many will suggest 3.0 since centre channel is important for movies but it’s totally a wrong approach. A 2.1 is the right approach and the best way to start your HT build up

So I went through 3.0 setup and used it for almost an year before moving to 3.1

I am just speaking with my personal experience, even now, if I was running 2.0 setup, I would have preferred 3.0 than 2.1, may be due to kind of content I watch or the kind of towers I have (Polk S55). Vocals were a big concern for me and solving for that was more pressing matter than getting more bass (as the towers are very good with good bass).

Coming to the request in this thread. For 50k it will be a very tight setup to go from 2.0 to 5.1.2. Depends on your individual taste. You can try getting a sub from ELAC or Yamaha costing 20k/30k, Yamaha 3.0 setup NS-P51 will cost around 10k where 2 surrouds and one center channel will be available. Then you'd be left with 2 atmos, there are quite a few options on that within budget.

So I went through 3.0 setup and used it for almost an year before moving to 3.1

I am just speaking with my personal experience, even now, if I was running 2.0 setup, I would have preferred 3.0 than 2.1, may be due to kind of content I watch or the kind of towers I have (Polk S55). Vocals were a big concern for me and solving for that was more pressing matter than getting more bass (as the towers are very good with good bass).
May be you liked them since you started with a 3.0. Now that you have a subwoofer hope you got used to the bass from the sub. Try 3.0 and 2.1 now and see the difference. Using LR without a centre won’t affect the vocals but just the imaging.

Delhi is not such a bad place for used hifi gear, I would suggest you look at speakers and subwoofers in OLX and then take a call. You might get a good set of 1C+2S+sub in your budget.

Thanks
Ok. Thanks. Any suggestions on the Sub? I was recommended Wharfedale D10. Will it be good with current set up/brand I have.

Coming to the request in this thread. For 50k it will be a very tight setup to go from 2.0 to 5.1.2. Depends on your individual taste. You can try getting a sub from ELAC or Yamaha costing 20k/30k, Yamaha 3.0 setup NS-P51 will cost around 10k where 2 surrouds and one center channel will be available. Then you'd be left with 2 atmos, there are quite a few options on that within budget.

Thanks a lot. Any specific model of Sub to recommend from ELAC? In Ooberpad YouTube video, they recommended ELAC Cinema Pro 5.1 however, I am bit skeptical of Sub as it is 8" and my room dimensions appear to be wider. Any thoughts? I am craving to have entire set up atleast this time however, I am happy to wait in case it is imperative to have a good HT set up.

Delhi is not such a bad place for used hifi gear, I would suggest you look at speakers and subwoofers in OLX and then take a call. You might get a good set of 1C+2S+sub in your budget.

Thanks a lot. However, for the last couple of years or so I haven't come across many OLX options in Delhi. Secondly, I am always nervous to approach someone on OLX as most of the adverts are not from reputed areas. This is my personal view and I can be completely wrong.
Additionally, COVID-19 may pose a challenge to audition these equipment.

Please can you guide me what I need to look for in a used Sub on OLX, what details I should check? I had shortlisted couple last year but, I held myself back due to above reasons. Thanks.

Thanks a lot. However, for the last couple of years or so I haven't come across many OLX options in Delhi. Secondly, I am always nervous to approach someone on OLX as most of the adverts are not from reputed areas. This is my personal view and I can be completely wrong.
Additionally, COVID-19 may pose a challenge to audition these equipment.

Please can you guide me what I need to look for in a used Sub on OLX, what details I should check? I had shortlisted couple last year but, I held myself back due to above reasons. Thanks.

Do not risk going for audition to any place during Covid. Not worth it.

110v/220v, warranty coverage, bill/invoice, how many owners, reason for sale, all accessories, general feedback etc

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back