Upgradeable 2.1s

pguy

Hi,

I am looking to build a HT setup over time. Usage would be 30/70 - Music/Television or Movies.

Budget is 50K for the 2.1 setup. I wanted the setup to scale so that I can add the rear speakers at some other point. Or might even add the sub woofer at a different time.

My home is wired for a 5.1, but the rear speaker wired areas don't have their own power. Do each of the speakers need their own power source or does the AV receiver take care of pumping it?

Also recommend a good flexible player for music/movies

Thanks!

My home is wired for a 5.1, but the rear speaker wired areas don't have their own power. Do each of the speakers need their own power source or does the AV receiver take care of pumping it?

Your AVR will power all the speakers, only SWF needs power.

Based on your budget, consider Pioneer DV 610 which is available under 7k in the grey market. I am assuming you have a HD-ready/Full-HD LCD/Plasma while making this suggestion.

It is not clear whether you already have a receiver or not. If you have one, what make/model is it? Based on this, you will get to know lot of options...

Last edited:
I do have a plasma, but no receiver. That too needs to be bought - would love to hear suggestions. Budget for the 2.1 + AVR + DVD player ~ 40 - 50K

Hi,

I am looking to build a HT setup over time. Usage would be 30/70 - Music/Television or Movies.

Budget is 50K for the 2.1 setup. I wanted the setup to scale so that I can add the rear speakers at some other point. Or might even add the sub woofer at a different time.

Thanks!

2.1 speakers means it includes Subwoofer ( .1 stands for no of subwoofers) I think you are saying 2 channel one

Since you have not yet purchased any parts of the audio system, you could consider the Genelec 5040+6010 / 6020 active loudspeaker system if u are willing to increase the budget a slight bit more. You could connect Sony BDP-S550 or Panasonic DMP-BD80K Blu-Ray disc players directly to the Genelec active loudspeaker system, even without the need of a preamp for a start, as the 5040 subwoofer acts like a single source preamp for the system and also has a system volume control. Both these Blu-Ray player models have multichannel decoded audio outputs. This will make an awesome high end stereo system for a start and you can add the center and rear speakers even years later as Genelec models dont go obsolete for decades.

You could start with one 5040 subwoofer and two 6020 main speakers. For the surround upgrade you could add three 6010 speakers later for the center and rear. In Mumbai, you can get a demo of this system at Genelec Oy - Distributors

Last edited:
Does your budget include the player or not? Also, your plan to start with 2.1 and then add other speakers is the preferred approach.

Generally I tell the folks to start with 2.0 system, move to 2.1, 3.1 and then 5.1. With this you are moving from a music oriented to HT oriented preference.

If you look aroudn in the forum, you will see that the center has to match the L/R esp. with drivers. The surrounds and sub can be any brand until such time it can match the speakers to the freq range.

Hi,

Thanks!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back