Upgrading current 5.1 HT Setup to an Atmos (5.1.2) setup. Requesting Suggestions

sandeep.bommakanti

Hi Everyone,

I have been a passive reader of all the various posts and reading through them has given me more knowledge than any other source. Thank you to each and everyone on this forum.

I have a 7 year old Yamaha yht 299 (bought in 2013) HTIB and it has been working fine. Recently bought a TV (Sony 65X8000H) and want to upgrade HT as well.
My Budget is around 1 to 1.3 Lakhs and willing go a little extra if I get a good bang for buck. Below are the room specifications,

Home_HT.PNG

I do not have the exact length and breadth at this moment, but it is a living room cum Dining Room. There is a curtain separating the living and dining areas.
Surronds would be present near the Curtain area. Planning on Buying in ceiling Atmos speakers, embed them in a wooden shell with the help of local carpenter and hook them up on the ceiling.

Following are some of the options that I am considering,

Option 1:
Denon AVR 1600H
55000​
Taga Harmony 606 SE 5.0 Package
38000​
Polk RC60i Ceiling Speaker (for Atmos)
20000​
Yamaha NS-SW300 10 Inch Sub
32000​
145000​

Option 2:
Denon AVR 1400H
38000​
38000​
20000​
32000​
128000​

Option 3:
Denon AVR 1600H
55000​
Polk Tseries 5.1 Package including 10 inch Sub (PSW 111)
60000​
20000​
135000​

Option 4:
Denon AVR 1400H
38000​
60000​
20000​
118000​

If you can suggest any alternatives around this budget, that would be great. Also, I did not get a chance to demo PolK T Series (T50 + T30 + T15 + PSW111) Speaker package. I have managed to hear Taga Harmony and liked it.

Also, this is an apartment with not very friendly neighbours. So, any suggestions with regards to sound proofing (Since it is a living room, options could be limited here) are welcome.

Few Pointers and Questions that I have at this time,
1. Surround speakers would most probably be fixed to the side walls. I am Planning on buying good wall brackets so that I can adjust their position. I have seen a few in Amazon from 2k to 6k. Are they worth it or is it ok if the surrounds are on side walls?
2. Usage will be 50% Movies, 30% Music, 20% Regular TV
3. I am also getting Nvidia Shield TV Pro in a couple of months time which would then become my primary media player
4. What are the major differences between Denon 1400H and Denon 1600H? There is a massive price gap and if there is not much of a difference I might go for 1400H and save some money
5. Taga Harmony or Polk? If there is any other option that would fit within this range, I would gladly take it.
6. Are there any alternatives to in ceiling Atmos speakers?

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi Everyone,

I have been a passive reader of all the various posts and reading through them has given me more knowledge than any other source. Thank you to each and everyone on this forum.

I have a 7 year old Yamaha yht 299 (bought in 2013) HTIB and it has been working fine. Recently bought a TV (Sony 65X8000H) and want to upgrade HT as well.
My Budget is around 1 to 1.3 Lakhs and willing go a little extra if I get a good bang for buck. Below are the room specifications,

View attachment 51920

I do not have the exact length and breadth at this moment, but it is a living room cum Dining Room. There is a curtain separating the living and dining areas.
Surronds would be present near the Curtain area. Planning on Buying in ceiling Atmos speakers, embed them in a wooden shell with the help of local carpenter and hook them up on the ceiling.

Following are some of the options that I am considering,

Option 1:
Denon AVR 1600H
55000​
38000​
20000​
32000​
145000​

Option 2:
Denon AVR 1400H
38000​
38000​
20000​
32000​
128000​

Option 3:
Denon AVR 1600H
55000​
60000​
20000​
135000​

Option 4:
Denon AVR 1400H
38000​
60000​
20000​
118000​

If you can suggest any alternatives around this budget, that would be great. Also, I did not get a chance to demo PolK T Series (T50 + T30 + T15 + PSW111) Speaker package. I have managed to hear Taga Harmony and liked it.

Also, this is an apartment with not very friendly neighbours. So, any suggestions with regards to sound proofing (Since it is a living room, options could be limited here) are welcome.

Few Pointers and Questions that I have at this time,
1. Surround speakers would most probably be fixed to the side walls. I am Planning on buying good wall brackets so that I can adjust their position. I have seen a few in Amazon from 2k to 6k. Are they worth it or is it ok if the surrounds are on side walls?
2. Usage will be 50% Movies, 30% Music, 20% Regular TV
3. I am also getting Nvidia Shield TV Pro in a couple of months time which would then become my primary media player
4. What are the major differences between Denon 1400H and Denon 1600H? There is a massive price gap and if there is not much of a difference I might go for 1400H and save some money
5. Taga Harmony or Polk? If there is any other option that would fit within this range, I would gladly take it.
6. Are there any alternatives to in ceiling Atmos speakers?

Thanks,
Sandeep.
Hi Sandeep,

You can get the Denon 2400h in the same/less price. Check price with local dealers.
One more option you can consider is to buy a good pair of Front + Centre (QA3020/Polk S20 + QA3090/Polk S30) and use existing yamaha speakers for surround duty.

Go for denon 2600h
For now just buy front LCR only
Later you can add on surround and Atmos speakers.
Don't try to buy all at same time with limited budget
After sometime you will start feeling the itch to upgrade.

You can consider the below
AVR - X1600/X2500H - 45/50k whichever is available in the market at the moment. These models are not easy to come by presently, see what best you can get or look for used deals
Fronts - Concept 3020i/3030i/Concept 20 - 25k/37k
Center - 3090i (14-15k)/ Concept Centre (26k)
Surrounds - Yamaha surrounds should do now, can add 3010i if you feel something is lacking in future.
Subwoofer - Yamaha NS300 30k/ QAcoustics QB12 (37-40K)

In the suggested config the item are listed from left to right in my order of preference. You can choose as per your budget, this would feel like a real ugprade over your current Htib.

Hi Sandeep,

You can get the Denon 2400h in the same/less price. Check price with local dealers.
One more option you can consider is to buy a good pair of Front + Centre (QA3020/Polk S20 + QA3090/Polk S30) and use existing yamaha speakers for surround duty.
Thank you DesertEagle. I will definitely look for Denon 2400h / 2500h. They are available in avshack website. Is it reliable?
Also, I am looking for Floor Standers instead of Bookshelves for Fronts. Will I get a better performance from QA3020 than Polk T Series or Taga Harmony?

Get a used Xbox One S instead of nVidia Shield if your major content consumption is via OTT and do it with the setup itself to enjoy the setup you put up.
Hi Ankit,

Primary source of content consumption will be OTT.
  • What about USB Playback on Xbox One S? I have a lot of ripped files in my Hard drive. Can Xbox One S play them seamlessly.
  • Can I install VPN on it? I do have a Vudu account where I have redeemed a lot of my old Blurays and dvd's into Digital copies. Can I install vudu on Xbox One S? (Even if I can sideload it, it would fit my purpose)
Thanks,
Sandeep.

Thank you DesertEagle. I will definitely look for Denon 2400h / 2500h. They are available in avshack website. Is it reliable?
Also, I am looking for Floor Standers instead of Bookshelves for Fronts. Will I get a better performance from QA3020 than Polk T Series or Taga Harmony?
Check and bargain hard with offline dealers first.
What is the dimension of the space?

If your diagram scaled down properly, the HT space would be around 10x12 ft. For that space FS might be a overkill and u might not be able to enjoy the speaker dynamic range fully. Also, with the existing Yamaha HT, how did u feel the sound envelope?

Hi Ankit,

Primary source of content consumption will be OTT.
  • What about USB Playback on Xbox One S? I have a lot of ripped files in my Hard drive. Can Xbox One S play them seamlessly.
  • Can I install VPN on it? I do have a Vudu account where I have redeemed a lot of my old Blurays and dvd's into Digital copies. Can I install vudu on Xbox One S? (Even if I can sideload it, it would fit my purpose)
Thanks,
Sandeep.
Sandeep, Xbox One S doesn't play mkv for me at least. Yes VPN could be installed. I don't use Vudu but some forums have the discussions about it working fine with Xbox

If your diagram scaled down properly, the HT space would be around 10x12 ft. For that space FS might be a overkill and u might not be able to enjoy the speaker dynamic range fully. Also, with the existing Yamaha HT, how did u feel the sound envelope?
Hi Selvaa,

Room size would be roughly about 15ft X 20ft. My current speakers are very small sats which were part of HTIB package. They are working fine but I don't get enough details.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi Everyone, What about the performance of Denon S950H. I am not able to find X2500H / X2400H. Quick look at the specs, tells me that there is not much of a difference between them.

Hi Selvaa,

Room size would be roughly about 15ft X 20ft. My current speakers are very small sats which were part of HTIB package. They are working fine but I don't get enough details.

Thanks,
Sandeep.
That's really nice room spec Sandeep. This room size capable of utilize the good FS like QA 3050i or Polk Signature S55 or any similar floor stander. If your seating located 12 - 14 ft, plan good center with dual 5 inch woofer. Ur existing HT speakers can serve the surround and TM Atmos speakers.

You can also check JAMO S 809 for towers as they are said to be similar to QA 3050i when paired with subs and cost less.

Hi Everyone, What about the performance of Denon S950H. I am not able to find X2500H / X2400H. Quick look at the specs, tells me that there is not much of a difference between them.
It's recommended to go with x series. S series lack with Audyssey version and attached cord etc.
When I planned to buy I tried 2600h but ended with 1600h due to no stock.

All th best

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back