upgraditis. Amp/ Speakers. What to make of my options

Kudos to the good doctor [emoji122] [emoji122]

@Sound_cycle did not mention that he sorted things out for me when I was pretty confused about Acoustic treatment for my room, I'm just returning the favor.

@Sound_cycle the brand loyalty confuses the decision making. Your over reliance on Marantz amp performance made you decide in favor of changing your Floor standers. Though Schiit is a different proposition we need to be careful anyway. Though the encouragement by @raghupb makes me pick up Freya along with your Saga [emoji6][emoji6]

@Sound_cycle the brand loyalty confuses the decision making.

I try not to get all fanboi.

With Dirac or Schiit I did not succeed. But that of course hardly qualifies as a confession :)

With Marantz it was not brand loyalty but what was a deeper conviction, since comprehensively dispelled though.

PS: Freya/ Vidar need not be unheard buy. Unless you decide to get one right away :)

Ciao
Gr

Last edited:
Sound_cycle did not mention that he sorted things out for me when I was pretty confused about Acoustic treatment for my room, I'm just returning the favor.

That's the spirit of this forum, something I have seen in plenty especially when I went around looking for a setup and met with some wonderful folk. It's just awesome.
Kudos to you too, Gr [emoji106] [emoji122]

@GR, I see that you're well and truly bitten by the upgrade bug in the gluteus maximus:). Happens to all of us, and it's a good sign to want better.

Happy hunting :thumbsup:

PS: I'd take the advice about the Marantz seriously!

@GR, I see that you're well and truly bitten by the upgrade bug in the gluteus maximus

and in the wallet :)

jokes apart what this trial showed me was the speakers are keepers. and that does not bite that bad.

The to-be-acquired pre-power will hopefully stop any upgraditis.

After I have changed the tube on Saga, that is

several posters on other forums say "chuck the stock tube (the Saga OEM wala) in the trash, get some NOS 6SN7"

My research starts from figuring what NOS is.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
jokes apart what this trial showed me was the speakers are keepers. and that does not bite that bad.

Btw i had a similar experience. I have a pair of Tabaq TL DIY speakers made by FM Magma. I got them at an unbelievable price. I have paired it with a used NAD amp. This was decent combo doing duty as secondary set-up. All i did was change the interconnect and there was such a huge jump in the performance.

I feel that any decent speaker which is built properly has immense potential to scale up as you go along strengthening the chain.

Btw NOS in relation to tubes means New old stock.

Hi,

The saga is with me now.

For the moment I can only look at it. My interest amp does not have a pre amp input. It does have a phono though, would that work ?

The Vidar can be ordered and shipped to MBM. The customs clearance hassle will be mine. Drkrack pointed out that this is the cheaper option too.

Ordering from the India dealer (hpz) has warranty and the 15 day return advantages.

I am not known for my waiting skills. Since hpz does not have the Vidar on their catalogue yet should I just order it from Schiit. Ftr ishopinternational said it is too heavy for them (30lb according to the Schiit webpage but 21 according to SBAF). So it is a) direct b) borderlinx or equivalent c) wait for hpz d) nota.

Kya Karen ?

Ciao
GR

A. Direct is best option where you could use your skills to get it cleared via customs, the other FMs could chip in with their experience with contacts of Customs clearance agents...
B. You can check with www.ishopinternational.com where the customs clearance is their headache which is why it'll be costlier as well. Get the quote from their website and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundcycle,

please consider a nice tube power amp..

i think as one ages... we tend to go towards smoother sound and the review on PFM of the Vidar is not very great shakes.. ( IMO atleast )

but ofcourse these are only my inputs and they may not be aligned to what you are thinking right now

regards

soundcycle,

please consider a nice tube power amp..

i think as one ages... we tend to go towards smoother sound and the review on PFM of the Vidar is not very great shakes.. ( IMO atleast )

but ofcourse these are only my inputs and they may not be aligned to what you are thinking right now

regards
Should one have integrated tube amp, or we can connect DAC with poweramp directly? Or preamp (again a tube one) is required in between?. I am also inclined for tube amp in near future. Currently i have tube buffer in the chain.

Sent from Note5

I hear you.

I weight (most) reviews only so much. Especially since it multi factor dependent in the audio case.

SBAF and CA have decent to good reviews of the Vidar. Confirmation bias on my part ? Entirely possible.

I will fight tooth and nail if someone were to call me a Schiit fanboi. I am not one.

However I am certainly behaving like one. I maintain that I am only trusting my experience with two blind buys working out rather well:eek:.

(The Saga is rated as a decent non coloring pre amp. While I have one I have not heard it yet. I am hoping it will work out and make the above sentence 3 out of 3 :rolleyes:)

As to sound goals, my lurching journey in audio is all on hfv. I did not think at the start in Jan '14 that I would be even vaguely interested in separates. And now I am committed to that path.

Who knows where I go next, SET ? However, I have told myself that while this present expense is entirely justified (not that wife agrees) there will no further spending in electronics/ speakers for the next three years. :indifferent14:

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back