upgraditis. Amp/ Speakers. What to make of my options

Hi

Finally.

The damn thing seems to be moving from Columbus, OH after being there for a week. BL shifted, weekend happened and they were swamped by backlog. Perfectly valid and legit reasons but I still fretted and fumed, all very grown up and mature of course.

Question to those who had got stuff via borderlinx/ DHL. Do you get some acknowledgement or something once your kyc documents are uploaded. There was a success message which said something about DHL representative getting in touch by phone or email in 4 hours. However nothing of the sort happened. Asking to make sure no delays.

Ciao
GR

Last edited:
Hi

Finally.

The damn thing seems to be moving from Columbus, OH after being there for a week. BL shifted, weekend happened and they were swamped by backlog. Perfectly valid and legit reasons but I still fretted and fumed, all very grown up and mature of course.

Question to those who had got stuff via borderlinx/ DHL. Do you get some acknowledgement or something once your kyc documents are uploaded. There was a success message which said something about DHL representative getting in touch by phone or email in 4 hours. However nothing of the sort happened. Asking to make sure no delays.

Ciao
GR

Chat with them, they are quite responsive.

It all arrived together. Mogami I/c from Hfm and the power amp.

Just hooked it all up. After an impatient afternoon at the office.

HOLY <EXPLETIVE>

Have not repositioned speakers, Dirac is off, cannot do any measuring right now.

It is nothing like I had ever imagined I would hear in my setup. It is above and beyond that !

So far everything has been without the valve buffer stage.

Will try and get everything properly set up over the weekend.

A full house right now and too many people, the entire next week is a workshop at Pondicherry.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Sound_cycle congrats on the Schiit pre & power purchase.
I have heard nothing but great reviews about the sound. Do post a review of your impressions.
Separately, could you also post about your experience in shipping from US, the costs, time & customs clearing.

Sound_cycle congrats on the Schiit pre & power purchase.
I have heard nothing but great reviews about the sound. Do post a review of your impressions.
Separately, could you also post about your experience in shipping from US, the costs, time & customs clearing.

I spent some time listening to the rig. I had to move stuff recently and some
one's overzealous application of cleaning products and elbow grease has removed my carefully placed tape and marker dots marking speaker positions. Even with approximately positioning and no correction, out of the box, it sounds superb. Buyers bias, well yes of course, but much better than my previous rig. And too many things have changed, so trying to make sense of it all, atm am overwhelmed.

Shipping from the US was a breeze because I used the easy (and expensive) options. Order to singing at home was 3 weeks and 1 day (including the weekends). Customs was 41.5%. Shipping costs were less than what it cost me to send my bifrost to the US ! (and the difference in size and volume weight are considerable).

Hope to be able to set up things on Sunday

ciao
gr

Yesterday, I was incredibly rude. Hailed an ola and pushed everyone out for dinner. As Jamie would have undoubtedly said "The things I do for sound"

My clever plans hit a snag immediately. A) where is my trusted accomplice B) where are the balance controls. Answers were in physics tuition and a toilet paper core.

(We are talking about Schiit and need some toilet humor). But that was not a joke, I simply shoved a live banana pin into the core to make sure it won't short my amp. FTR F2k does not have a balance control).

I tried my usual process. And screwed up trying to improvise because I had to be at the speaker and my listening spot. At the same time.

I also <expletives, many> the Dirac measurements. In which time the dinner party returned with plastic packets and a sleepy child.

To be resumed after dinner break.

Ciao
GR

The sleepy child and others thulped assorted tandoori cooked goodies and watched "Young Sheldon" (Chuck Lorre and voiced by Sheldon, but it would not engage me even if I were not in a shoving people frame of mind ;P )

Physics tuition class was also over and so the son was telling people how the dog can have a credit card remote breakfast and not suffer aluminium poisoning and also telling the 8 year old very solemnly that he should hide because it is a 100w amp and paint will peel from the walls. I was bored enough to explain that but doubling the amplifier power gives you an increase of 3dB SPL, so we are going to be 4.5 dB louder... The son wanted to know "Can you calculate that, so I shut up"

Eventually every one wandered off to sleeping quarters and I had my space to my self.

For a crude setup and a botched measurement it is still quite good

1. The bass, much nicer. (Or is that the correction off factor. No it is real)
2. The sound stage, wider. Deeper. For instance, Paradise City has the drums properly behind the singer instead of being a Rose/Adler haleem.
3. Bodhisatva which was sound porridge is now nicely resolved.
4. Cecile, Knopfler and Jones. Wow. Vocals are now much more detailed and also kinda forward
5. Waterloo sunset does not project a voice to the listening plane and to the right. But then i know that the placement/ correction sucks
6. I cannot make out any difference between passive and valve buffer modes.
7. I note a 70hz suck out on the right channel, after correction ! . It is there in my older project files so it is not a bodged measurement but something I have not caught previously and have to figure out.

With all these limitations, it is still a huge improvement over my previous integrated. To use a worn analogy a bit like moving from a M800 to a proper modern sedan, or in a more ghisapita one Night and Day.

Oh, and I am OCD enough to be bothered that bifrost and Saga have differently colored dabbas and are not aesthetically matched

ciao
gr

Last edited:
qURxWmqySycLC2912

ZQ8dHHld5x1B0rjk2

yF1EIW1gvLtkFW5a2

Hope the pics are visible if not

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qURxWmqySycLC2912 The current set up
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQ8dHHld5x1B0rjk2 Ms Salvant and chotta of Famous Grouse not shown in pic
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yF1EIW1gvLtkFW5a2 That's the best the son and I could manage to reduce wire clutter

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Hi,

A lazy long weekend that started off rainy and without power and no listening for all of yesterday. Things behaved today and drkrack came over for a listen.

The sound has settled in now. I managed a remeasure and a reposition. But am stuck at this weird point. Dirac - is actually shrinking my sound stage ! Without Dirac I have a bloated bass. So while I try and figure it out I miss out some of the magic that Vidar can do.

Doc played his music and immediately noted the improvements to the bass and the soundstage. Arijit and Sonu Nigam sounded much better, much more body to the voice, more textured.

We put in the Chinese pre amp into the chain in place of Freya. That pre- which led me to this upgrade/ addition now sounded inadequate. All the things from the previous paragraph were gone. Oh, doc could not make out any difference between the passive and valve buffer modes on Saga.

We had one power failure, there was a restive dog to entertain and my wife who wanted to go out for lunch so we reluctantly packed up for the day.

Doc we'll try out the Saga/ Gungnir in your place in a couple of weekends or so. I am very curious to hear that combination.

Overall a nice entertaining combination Saga/ Vidar. If only I manage to overcome some limitations of my room/ placement.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Dirac - is actually shrinking my sound stage ! Without Dirac I have a bloated bass

Sometimes writing down the problem helps.

Why was I letting Dirac control the whole frequency range when my problem was lower down ?

Fired up the live calibration tool and redid my filters to a far more conservative range - only in the 50 - 750 hz region.

Whaddya know, the newly added but lost sound stage width is back. and not the boomy bass.

Slaps head, and admits I was stoopeed. :eek:
YjzIuFzqW1F4rcJf1

img link https://photos.app.goo.gl/YjzIuFzqW1F4rcJf1

ciao
gr

Sometimes writing down the problem helps.

Why was I letting Dirac control the whole frequency range when my problem was lower down ?

Fired up the live calibration tool and redid my filters to a far more conservative range - only in the 50 - 750 hz region.

Whaddya know, the newly added but lost sound stage width is back. and not the boomy bass.

Slaps head, and admits I was stoopeed. :eek:
YjzIuFzqW1F4rcJf1

img link https://photos.app.goo.gl/YjzIuFzqW1F4rcJf1

ciao
gr
Yes the Dirac was probably overdoing it, now it'd be much more enjoyable to listen to.

Sorry for the delayed update :
I visited @Sound_cycle home on a lazy Sunday morning. We started with my wav files and Apple music played via Intel Nuc. Few observations
1. The room is wide open on the sides, I had a belief that, no matter whatever changes we did, the bass is going to be the Achilles heel. It is going to be pretty difficult to get an accurate bass response & get minute differentiation of bass nuances , owing to the listening geometry.

The previous system WITH Marantz PM 6004 was pretty inaccurate in many ways as expected. When I heard the new system with Saga and Vidar that complaint was addressed effectively.

Wow, the accuracy of bass response was very evident from the first song , from the complex drum sequences to a thumping discotheque songs the bass was mind blowingly impressive. The reverberation was very well controlled and making a distinction between two slightly dissimilar beats was pretty easy. It is pretty enjoyable and I'd recommend this for any bass heads, as there's no need for Subwoofer & the Floor standers were more than enough.

2. Saga really overshines my Chinese Tube buffer by quite a margin, let me remind adding a Chinese tube buffer improved the SQ very significantly over the Marantz Stereo amp. The layers of music are very well delineated giving you an immersive experience similar to having Surrounds.
Each and every instrumentation in the music is very clearly elucidated in a definite perceivable improvement over the Chinese tube buffer. In simple terms The resolution is much better with Saga over the Chinese tubes . More near to the live concert experience.

3. The vocals, especially slightly husky male voices are very accurate in presentation. The Saga does a pretty good job as a preamp where it is pretty neutral without any undue colouration, which it can be blamed for. This is a signature DNA of most Schiit DACs in general.

4. The highs are adequate, slightly rolled off but in a pleasing manner. The sound is not fatiguing so listening for longer hours should not be problematic.
Some amount of digital glare does creep in, which may be perceived as harsh occasionally.

5. Most important impression in the listening is that lovely subtle suspense that Saga brings to the table especially to the songs you've listened N number of times before. You're waiting how this interlude is going to sound or how this vocals going to sound. Very enjoyable.

6. Vidar matches very well, runs reasonably hot and we need to be careful during Hyderabad summers. It has the adequate power to drive most of the speaker systems. There's no doubt that it deserves all the praise it gets in the reviews.

7. This combination really rocks, I honestly couldn't make out the difference between active tube buffer switching which probably needs more careful listening sessions. Honestly, It does not matter as long as you are loving it. I'm looking forward to a listening session at my house when time permits, so it'll be more objective experience. I'm looking forward to buying Freya, so I guess it would be a good demo for me before buying.

I can see its a remarkable upgrade for @Sound_cycle from his previous system ; more importantly its achieved keeping the most important factor in sound reproduction constant, that is the Dali Zensor 5 Floorstanders.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Saga really overshines my Chinese Tube buffer by quite a margin, let me remind adding a Chinese tube buffer improved the SQ very significantly over the Marantz Stereo amp

This was so surprising considering that I liked what I heard a couple of months back ! The transparent-ness of Saga was starkly evident.

I have since got in some more hours of listening and am very glad (and relieved too) that spending so much on something un-auditioned worked out happily. And that is 4 out 4 with Schiit-off-the-net !

I am still rather amused that I paid for something that does nothing :p But then that was the requirement with Saga.

Some thoughts on the Saga vs SYS.
From the Sys FAQ Can I use it with a power amp?
Absolutely, you can use SYS to connect two sources to any power amp with RCA inputs, and control the volume.

but
1. No remote
2. Probably not as transparent
3. microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion vs Pots
4. SYS recommended on the FAQ for only short cable runs

ciao
gr

This was so surprising considering that I liked what I heard a couple of months back ! The transparent-ness of Saga was starkly evident.

I have since got in some more hours of listening and am very glad (and relieved too) that spending so much on something un-auditioned worked out happily. And that is 4 out 4 with Schiit-off-the-net !

I am still rather amused that I paid for something that does nothing :p But then that was the requirement with Saga.

Some thoughts on the Saga vs SYS.
From the Sys FAQ Can I use it with a power amp?
Absolutely, you can use SYS to connect two sources to any power amp with RCA inputs, and control the volume.

but
1. No remote
2. Probably not as transparent
3. microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion vs Pots
4. SYS recommended on the FAQ for only short cable runs

ciao
gr

1. Yes matters during CD player playback, iTunes and Rpi 3 kodi have volume controls..
2. Has less circuitry, no extra Power supply interference
3. Pots has been more common, one more micro processor...
4. Less than 3M for output cable ( from headfi) which will be less than 0.5m in my case, newer CDP and DACs have sufficient voltage for input cable lengths

Now since we didn't make out the difference with Tube stage in Saga, It all boils down to Which one does the 'NOTHING' better?
Hopefully @srisaikat can chip in with inputs.

SYS at 6k , Saga at 30k or Freya at 55k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sound goal I hear in my head was set by a Grundig LP playing system my neighbors had. Very long ago. The sounds of cymbals going TSssssssss, the kick from the drum pedal going straight to pit of stomach, and Karen Carpenter singing Superstar is seared into my brain from when I was 12 or 13

A that'll do pig moment.

I'm listening to Karen Carpenter on Tidal. I kind of really like what I hear.

And Vidar makes it easy to listen to Welcome to the Jungle at volume should I wish.

Next up is to give in to the wife's demands to repaint the interiors (and redo my DIY BBA postioning ;)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
A that'll do pig moment.

I'm listening to Karen Carpenter on Tidal. I kind of really like what I hear.

And Vidar makes it easy to listen to Welcome to the Jungle at volume should I wish.

Next up is to give in to the wife's demands to repaint the interiors (and redo my DIY BBA postioning ;)

ciao
gr
Getting my Vidar on Friday...
We can plan on a comparison of DACs at my place this weekend if possible.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Oh what joy! I seem to have run into a few fellow vidar owners!

I love the Vidar Saga combo with my B&Ws.

As for the question on the sys above, in my opinion the sys veils the sound discernably

Oh what joy! I seem to have run into a few fellow vidar owners!

I love the Vidar Saga combo with my B&Ws.

As for the question on the sys above, in my opinion the sys veils the sound discernably

I think I've read Jason say that the Saga is the most transparent of their offerings. It is nonetheless interesting to have a direct point on sys vs Saga.

So the known Vidar count is at 3 :) Jolly good, wot !

ciao
gr

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back