upgraditis. Amp/ Speakers. What to make of my options

Hi

I was not expecting to want to do something to the rig after these major upgrades and SQ gain.

But there is one. One that should add some more sonic nirvana.

I need to try asynchronous decrapified usb. Schiit has a solution, in usb.

Or I could get eitr.

Reviews on the net say good things for all DACs Bifrost gungnir or yggy. It is not too pricey $100 without installation.

I am not sure if this board will work with my Bifrost (I don't have the usb inputs installed). I am sure I don't want to mess with the innards.

@drkrack interested ? Would you know of someone/ someplace this could be installed if sourced ?

Ciao
GR

I am not sure if this board will work with my Bifrost (I don't have the usb inputs installed)

So that part is sorted.

I wrote to Schiit and Tom E replied in about 4 minutes saying

"Yes, you can still order the Gen 5 USB upgrade module and have it installed. Or you can skip sending in your Bifrost and opt for a Schiit EITR which has USB Gen 5 input and will send a coax signal to your Bifrost.'

So now to figure out how to get it installed in Hyd. The steps described on sbaf seem simple enough but I don't trust myself to get it right

ciao
gr

So that part is sorted.

I wrote to Schiit and Tom E replied in about 4 minutes saying

"Yes, you can still order the Gen 5 USB upgrade module and have it installed. Or you can skip sending in your Bifrost and opt for a Schiit EITR which has USB Gen 5 input and will send a coax signal to your Bifrost.'

So now to figure out how to get it installed in Hyd. The steps described on sbaf seem simple enough but I don't trust myself to get it right

ciao

gr

If the installation of USB 5 is that simple, I'd rather go with getting the USB 5 card, instead of adding one more device in the chain like Eitr. I'd consider getting it done by myself with some electronic guy's help, but a multibit upgrade needs my DAC to be shipped to US anyway. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to get Rooned at my place with your Zotac PC and Saga. Also Comparison of All 3 Schiit DACs can be done now. For iTunes I'm connecting the DAC directly to poweramp without the active tube preamp in between, which is much detailed and more accurate.

@Sound_cycle We have a DIY person in Hyderabad designing and assembling amplifier on own, living very near to your house. He has partially fixed my Onkyo Integra 8470, and clearified that the Inphase Transformer NCH4181 is working properly. Totally exposing the inability of experienced service guys of Hyderabad.
So the USB 5 card installation can be done by him without issues I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the installation of USB 5 is that simple, I'd rather go with getting the USB 5 card, instead of adding one more device in the chain like Eitr.

I agree. I'd want to get the internal card rather than an external dabba. The eitr is more for non Schiit devices really

I'd consider getting it done by myself with some electronic guy's help, but a multibit upgrade needs my DAC to be shipped to US anyway.

Yes ofc. Something needs to be flashed etc and so it is factory only IIRC. Also an expensive u/g @ $500

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to get Rooned at my place with your Zotac PC and Saga. Also Comparison of All 3 Schiit DACs can be done now. For iTunes I'm connecting the DAC directly to poweramp without the active tube preamp in between, which is much detailed and more accurate.

Most welcome, would be my pleasure :) This weekend looks possible I will confirm on Fri/ Sat

We have a DIY person in Hyderabad designing and assembling amplifier on own, living very near to your house

That's great. Should get in touch and find out if he can help out with the installation. Would be great if he will because I don't have the customs paid details (Bifrost was ordered through ishopinternational) and the pain of shipping to Valencia and then having to pay customs second time is more than I can endure.

thanks much :)

ciao
gr

So ahead of the new year I have resolved this I will not spend on audio hardware and listen to the music instead.

But that is for Jan 1. Ordered the shit eater. It is in backorder though for the next week or so.

I did not have the patience to wait for traveling to the us next year, and did not want to open the dabba. Not that it would be anything more complicated than fitting a zbox together.

Ciao
Gr

So ahead of the new year I have resolved this I will not spend on audio hardware and listen to the music instead.

But that is for Jan 1. Ordered the shit eater. It is in backorder though for the next week or so.

I did not have the patience to wait for traveling to the us next year, and did not want to open the dabba. Not that it would be anything more complicated than fitting a zbox together.

Ciao
Gr
"shit eater"?
Assume that was not deliberate. Maybe you would like to correct it?

"shit eater"?

Schiit Eitr !
@Sound_Cycle Congratulations for taking the plunge, It will be a pleasurable experience I guess, Mostly we haven't gone wrong with buying Schiit Products even without audition, it won't be much different I think.
(Afterall for Most in Hyderabad 'Eitr' means Soothing liquid perfume !):yahoo:

"shit eater"?

That's auto correct on the phone. But I cannot edit my post now. However it might not matter really (to JS and his company I mean). Let me amplify that statement.

Exhibit A Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention...

Exhibit B Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Today, Schiit Audio announced the immediate availability of its new Wyrd USB Isolator, or, more colloquially, the Wyrd USB Decrapifier

Exhibit C Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.
How do you pronounce Eitr?
Like eater. Yep. There you go. Or there we go.

Deliberate or not - to go from a decrapifier to an eitr - you will have to ask Jason Stoddard.:eek:

There products go much beyond what that smelly distasteful juvenile toilet humor goes. I am very happy to look past the ridiculous conversation I had to have with customer service at HPZ " Do you have the Schiit Eitr .. umm I the USB to SPDIF convertor " [true story] and order the said USB to SPDIF convertor from the said company.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Schiit Eitr !
@Sound_Cycle Congratulations for taking the plunge, It will be a pleasurable experience I guess, Mostly we haven't gone wrong with buying Schiit Products even without audition, it won't be much different I think.
(Afterall for Most in Hyderabad 'Eitr' means Soothing liquid perfume !):yahoo:

The reports are very good. I am running optical out of my music PC. I assume it would be from the board headers. People report juli@ beating ability so I hope there is a gain. I read on SBAF that it has sonore beating SQ.

Now I take all reviews with some salt, but since that was microrendu was getting in my thoughts I had to find out for myself. I expect to have it in hand in about three weeks (it is in back order). Have quite a bit of travelling this month so I won't keep hitting the track order button repeatedly.

I am hoping it works. And I publicly proclaim that this is the last h/w addition I am doing :D

It has some interesting tricks too apparently - you can use a phone as a high quality source.

ciao
gr

PS FTR I like the Hyderabadi pronunciation and meaning better than the JS joke

ciao
gr

Hi,

Added cables to hook up Eitr

Mogami gold W2964 SPDIF 75 ohm digital cable RCA to RCA
Reference Grade AuSF USB Cable

from hifimart.

The USB cable was out of stock, i had signed up for a restocking notification swooped the moment the mail arrived, I see the stock is now 0 again :)

I don't intend listening to cables (who knows, I have thrown many of the ideas I had three years ago out), but wanted to make sure I have decent ones

ciao
gr

Uhoh that was a glitch in the matrix or they don't want to sell me cables or something.

My order was cancelled, no stock

Will have to order elsewhere now

ciao
gr

Uhoh that was a glitch in the matrix or they don't want to sell me cables or something.

My order was cancelled, no stock

Will have to order elsewhere now

ciao
gr

Please try Bluejeanscables.com they have the best interconnects and Ten white Speaker wires. I could very easily make out the difference with interconnects.

Two Interconnects you will need. And 18 feet of Speaker Cables You will require with good quality Banana plug available from them. They ship with express and I got mine in less than 3 days from USA.
Company wise They're much like Schiit, No Nonsense only Performance!

Last edited:
Please try Bluejeanscables.com they have the best interconnects and Ten white Speaker wires. I could very easily make out the difference with interconnects.

Two Interconnects you will need. And 18 feet of Speaker Cables You will require with good quality Banana plug available from them. They ship with express and I got mine in less than 3 days from USA.
Company wise They're much like Schiit, No Nonsense only Performance!

Thanks @drkrack.

I missed seeing you post -work and travel :( but I did exactly that, USB and coax (with Canare termination, which apparently keeps it 75 ohm) from BJC via az.com (I have also ordered a PYST usb cable which should come with the Eitr) I want to get the speaker cables and will do that in some time. (and I did not think that I would ever give cables a thought).

A long time to wait for Eitr, it is not yet the 8th which is the earliest it should ship to Borderlinx. (Yes I am a chicken once again). I am hoping it will all be here 52 week when I hopefully get to use some of my accumulated CL before it evaporates !

Mostly out of town this month and for practical purposes till end of May 18. Not much music or anything :(

Came across this http://www.basshead.club/spdif-battle-mutec-singxer-lynx-rednet-et-al/ and thought I should spread some Eitr love

ciao
gr

Till MAy 18 , If not Year End ? That's too much time away from Music !
Consider buying Tube Headphone amp in Next Yr ;)
I ordered directly from Blurjeanscable.com, which accepts Paypal , fastest international delivery experience for me, ordered Friday evening received on Monday Evening! The Cables definitely are most VFM I have ordered.

Good Link , He prefers to keep the SYS as well .
Let us plan to meet weekend/Year end if Possible.

Let us plan to meet weekend/Year end if Possible.

I am travelling 10 - 14th and then 17th - 26th. Should be here for about a week after that. I will ping you. Hopefully lots of interesting things to listen to should be here.

ciao
gr

Oh the sadness.

Got my BJC 75 ohm coaxial cable delivered yesterday.

The Eitr has shipped last night to BL.

And I am out of town for the next ten days, and cannot release it for a week after it is with BL.

Ciao
GR

Hi

Back to the land of internet, and power cuts briefly. (Internet via jio was 16 km away for the past ten days in Chattisgarh, but there was power).

The Eitr had reached BL on 19th but showed up for release a week later. Hopefully early Jan delivery (the usual 41.5% on cost + shipping if you want to know). Will hopefully be home when i get back from a planned week end in blru).

My BJC cables are here and I think I goofed the USB one, it is a USB 3.

Cheers and HNY.

Ciao
GR

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back