UPS For AVR, Sub and TV

sl4y3r

Hi All,

I need to buy my in-laws a UPS as they are in an area (in Goa) that has a bit unstable and unreliable power supply.

Equipment is as below;
1) AVR -Yahama RXV 740 - 320 W
2) Sub - Bose AM 10 SIII - 270W
3) TV - TCL P615 - 105 W

This is totaling to 695W

I was surprised the TV was 105W and i was (before learning its wattage ) planning on the below UPS 660 which is now proving to be underpowered

The above is 6.5K, moving to a 1500VA UPS is 2x the price at 12.5K

What would the recommendations be?

1) Pay the 12.5K (happy to take cheaper alternatives as 1500 is an overkill i feel, please suggest something in between, reliable brand)
2) Remove sub from the chain and just run the TV and AVR as the sub is less likely to be impacted by power sudden fluctuations/cuts (or is this an incorrect assumption?)

Thanks in advance!

The above model seems suitable for PC, modem, CCTV etc.
It is most probably a modified square wave implementation.
Modified square wave is OK for components that have an SMPS.
Would not recommend this for components that use transformers inside.

If aesthetics are not an issue, get a 1.1KVA inverter + 12V battery.
I use an Exide inverter and Exide battery in my UPS.
The inverter is closer to sine wave than square wave.

Cheers,
Raghu

The above model seems suitable for PC, modem, CCTV etc.
It is most probably a modified square wave implementation.
Modified square wave is OK for components that have an SMPS.
Would not recommend this for components that use transformers inside.

If aesthetics are not an issue, get a 1.1KVA inverter + 12V battery.
I use an Exide inverter and Exide battery in my UPS.
The inverter is closer to sine wave than square wave.

Cheers,
Raghu
Oh thanks for this info. I would like something plug and play as i am not in the same city and my FIL is not too tech savy, are you able to provide some links to any P&P options? Thanks again!

Don't know about plug and play or all-in-one systems. Other FMs may chime in.

I would suggest that your FiL explore local area UPS installers. Get their number and talk to them yourself.
One advantage is that they provide prompt service if any issue crops up.
The combo I use actually powers a few lights, TV and a fan or two for a couple of hours.
It allows for graceful shutdown of any sensitive electronics like AVR, Sub (plate amp), etc when power goes.
The cost is about 7K for inverter and 7K for battery, is my guess.

Cheers,
Raghu

Considering the equipment is not high-end, I would like to keep costs low and the install simple.

It may not be the best option, but would a APC UPS be a BAD idea?. @raghupb mentioned its not ideal for items with a transformer, but will it be better that i don't put instead of put a APC UPS?

Hi All,

I need to buy my in-laws a UPS as they are in an area (in Goa) that has a bit unstable and unreliable power supply.

Equipment is as below;
3) TV - TCL P615 - 105 W

This is totaling to 695W

I was surprised the TV was 105W and i was (before learning its wattage ) planning on the below UPS 660 which is now proving to be underpowered

1) Pay the 12.5K (happy to take cheaper alternatives as 1500 is an overkill i feel, please suggest something in between, reliable brand)
2) Remove sub from the chain and just run the TV and AVR as the sub is less likely to be impacted by power sudden fluctuations/cuts (or is this an incorrect assumption?)

Thanks in advance!
1500VA is not over kill. It is just about fulfills your power requirement.
All components in your chain may not hit their peak power demand at the same time, but still it is safer to over rate the UPS.

You may be aware that V x A x Power factor = Wattage. Most commercial UPS would have a power factor of 0.8. So 1500 VA rated ups will only theoretically deliver a power of 1200W. There will be further inefficiencies in the power system and the actual wattage delivered would be in the region of 900 - 940W.

If your budget is limited, then look at microtek - we are using it for about a year now for a gaming rig with a power supply rating of 850w. You will see that this ups delivers about 960W.

Considering the equipment is not high-end, I would like to keep costs low and the install simple.

It may not be the best option, but would a APC UPS be a BAD idea?. @raghupb mentioned its not ideal for items with a transformer, but will it be better that i don't put instead of put a APC UPS?
please check on the switch time before you decide there will be issues when time is high and will not serve purpose

Hi All,

Equipment is as below;
3) TV - TCL P615 - 105 W

This is totaling to 695W

Thanks in advance!
This one should suffice your requirement; it also has an AVR built-in and a pretty good switchover time of around 6 ms.

please check on the switch time before you decide there will be issues when time is high and will not serve purpose
Oo thanks, What's an ideal switch time?
This one should suffice your requirement; it also has an AVR built-in and a pretty good switchover time of around 6 ms.
This one says 700va or 390w, but my total is 695w. That's underpowered, isn't it?

Oo thanks, What's an ideal switch time?

This one says 700va or 390w, but my total is 695w. That's underpowered, isn't it?
ideally 6ms should be fine please refer this thread below since one the FM faced an issue with projector and switching to online ups resolved

If power supply is unstable (means fluctuating) then an online UPS is the only solution. It would provide purest power. An offline UPS would cut in only during power failure and take care of only unreliable part of the power supply.
If you need to provide power supply for short time (2-3 min) when generator takes over after a power failure then an online system based on small 12v batteries would do the job. If there is no generator then you would need an online UPS with bigger (100-150 Amps) 12v batteries. Bigger batteries are required to provide power for longer duration. Since you would know the duration of power failures in the area, install something that can provide power for few minutes longer than power failure duration. This is because over time the backup time degrades.

Multiply total wattage by 1.5 to arrive at the UPS capacity. In your case 1.2 KVA looks sufficient. The battery bank/size would depend on the duration. Most of the 1.5 KVA ones need two 12v batteries in series.

All this from my leg work towards finding a solution for my home theatre. If there is any error in what I have said then please bring it out. Let us also know what you installed finally.

If power supply is unstable (means fluctuating) then an online UPS is the only solution. It would provide purest power. An offline UPS would cut in only during power failure and take care of only unreliable part of the power supply.
If you need to provide power supply for short time (2-3 min) when generator takes over after a power failure then an online system based on small 12v batteries would do the job. If there is no generator then you would need an online UPS with bigger (100-150 Amps) 12v batteries. Bigger batteries are required to provide power for longer duration. Since you would know the duration of power failures in the area, install something that can provide power for few minutes longer than power failure duration. This is because over time the backup time degrades.

Multiply total wattage by 1.5 to arrive at the UPS capacity. In your case 1.2 KVA looks sufficient. The battery bank/size would depend on the duration. Most of the 1.5 KVA ones need two 12v batteries in series.

All this from my leg work towards finding a solution for my home theatre. If there is any error in what I have said then please bring it out. Let us also know what you installed finally.
Thanks for your replies, all. The requirement is not to use the items while the power goes off, but more to have a 3-4 min window to shut down the system to avoid any damage. Will an offline UPS not serve this purpose and protect from voltage spikes / irregularities?

Thanks for your replies, all. The requirement is not to use the items while the power goes off, but more to have a 3-4 min window to shut down the system to avoid any damage. Will an offline UPS not serve this purpose and protect from voltage spikes / irregularities?
Offline UPS will provide backup when power is out. The budget inverter (standalone) or inverter+battery models have little or no regulation/stabilization features.
When mains power is present, the output is simply pass through. Maybe with some voltage trimming. No boost capability for low voltage.
When mains power is out, the output is relatively stable, subject to battery charge and capacity.

Remember, these products are aimed at powering lights, fans, and small electronics like TV, laptop etc.
They will work well enough for your use case. Use a generic spike buster from Belkin/MX/GoldMedal brand.

Cheers,
Raghu

Will an offline UPS not serve this purpose and protect from voltage spikes / irregularities?
No.
@raghupb has explained it nicely. Few offline UPS have a feature to cut off power when voltage exceeds a preset voltage. That’s it.
Non of them provide a regulated power supply when main power is available.

As I see, you need to install an online UPS. Since you need power for a short duration you can get a 1.5 KVA online UPS with 50 Amp batteries. 120/150 Amp ones would do the job if longer backup duration is required.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back