UPS Suggestion for AV components

vj_box

Hello all, I am looking to hook up a power backup for the HT components consisting of the following. Can you recommend the recommended UPS (with its power rating) for the below items to be hooked up ?

1. AVR - Denon 2400H
2. Projector - Optoma UHD300X
3. PS4
4. Xbox One S
5. Studio Monitors X 2 - Presonus Eris E5
6. Computer - 550W power supply - i7, 1080GTX, 22" Monitor X 1

Thanks!

Can you recommend the recommended UPS (with its power rating) for the below items to be hooked up ?

I don't know of / use the online UPS that is being suggested by members here.. But i use APC inverter 850VA backed by 100ah tubular battery.. All my A/V components are connected to inverter, and am able to do a graceful shutdown of devices..

I don't know of / use the online UPS that is being suggested by members here.. But i use APC inverter 850VA backed by 100ah tubular battery.. All my A/V components are connected to inverter, and am able to do a graceful shutdown of devices..

Thanks for the inputs Elango. I am curious how you are running alll components I just a 850VA inverter ? The optoma technician who came recommended I go for a 1KV UPS just for the Projector alone since it would draw more power during start. The Projector is rated about 305W I guess. And the Denon should be about 100W I believe. The rest put together should be another 700W or so. Am I missing something here?

Hi vj
I have a Panny full HD pj, onkyo avr, 2 bluray players, Xbox 360, Tata sky and Panny 50" (I think!) tv connected to a 1kva online sine wave ups. The thing is, you'll never be running all that stuff at the same time!
The building generator takes about a minute to kick in, and the only indication that there's a power cut is when the ac switches off.

Denon should be about 100W I believe
@vj_box from where you derived as 100W !!
for any equipment - here we are discussing about AV equipment and you should not consider speaker output watts as total power consumption.

Total Power consumption will be different from speaker output watts.
gallery04_avr-x2400h_e2.jpg

check the attached image - Denon X2400H model backside to decide the power rating - it is 500W !!!1536081702013.png

Last edited:
i would not suggest to use it in border level of UPS power rating.Calculate the power rating yourself AVR,SUB ,HTPC and what not TV/ PJ
it will create issues either UPS or to your Equipments.
Normally we have to prefer 5 - 10 % of additional ( surplus) power as buffer.

Online UPS which always takes power from Battery is recommended, but they are costlier than typical home inverter/UPS.
Battery life of online UPS is typically lower since the charge/discharge cycles are more.

If all devices are getting powered on at the same time, power drawn will be higher in the starting. If we switch on devices one by one, then total peak load will be less compared to switching on all at once

I am curious how you are running alll components I just a 850VA inverter ?

I don't use any equipment during powercut other than a projector.. I just use inverter to do a graceful shutdown with in few seconds of powercut..

i would not suggest to use it in border level of UPS power rating.Calculate the power rating yourself AVR,SUB ,HTPC and what not TV/ PJ
it will create issues either UPS or to your Equipments.
Normally we have to prefer 5 - 10 % of additional ( surplus) power as buffer.

Thanks @reachkalyan.kr .. I don't use any of the equipment's other than the projector for sometime during power shutdown..

As soon as there is powercut, my inverter gives a long beep & 100% utilised (or) more actually when all of the devices are being used.. With in few seconds of powercut, i will switch of AVR, subwoofers and projector.. All i do is do a graceful shutdown of devices..

Since am not aware of these backup power calculations, how much more than 850VA is required.. say approx?.. I will look in to this and make an upgrade sometime.. The existing one has been serving me for a good 6 ~ 7 yrs time..

Last edited:
Sorry to bump in. I have the similar requirement but my projector power line is separate and most of the time I use a 55" TV. I believe for all other equipment 1KVA will be sufficient.

Can users please suggest any UPS model/ brands with warranty which can be bought for this purpose. Backup is required just for 1 -2 minutes till the time generator line kicks in. Online link will be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Vinay

I don't use any equipment during powercut other than a projector.. I just use inverter to do a graceful shutdown with in few seconds of powercut..

Thanks @reachkalyan.kr .. I don't use any of the equipment's other than the projector for sometime during power shutdown..

As soon as there is powercut, my inverter gives a long beep & 100% utilised (or) more actually when all of the devices are being used.. With in few seconds of powercut, i will switch of AVR, subwoofers and projector.. All i do is do a graceful shutdown of devices..

Since am not aware of these backup power calculations, how much more than 850VA is required.. say approx?.. I will look in to this and make an upgrade sometime.. The existing one has been serving me for a good 6 ~ 7 yrs time..
I do have same model APC 850VA for complete wiring except high loads(fridge,heater,av gears )only htpc is connected.
Iam using it as ups mode
850VA can deliver somewhere near to 500watts(depends on load pf)
You calculate your load accordingly.

@vj_box from where you derived as 100W !!
for any equipment - here we are discussing about AV equipment and you should not consider speaker output watts as total power consumption.

Total Power consumption will be different from speaker output watts.
View attachment 29997

check the attached image - Denon X2400H model backside to decide the power rating - it is 500W !!!View attachment 29998
Yeah right - I mixed up. 500W it is! What do you think the UPS need should be for all these?

My battery doesn't charge if i set it on UPS mode.. Any thoughts why?..
That's strange.how old is your battery.
Hope you are topping up with distilled water whenever is required.Assuming your battery is not sealed battery!!
Backside of ups there is a small switch where you have to select the battery rating according to your battery capacity.most of the places that electrician or the service guys will not be selecting the switch in proper position and it might reduce battery life.
There are small fuses as well.
Pls take additional precaution since it is hot(DC) wire.
Don't touch bare wire it is fatal.
Assuming that you are non technical person iam giving this advice :)

Then i might need 1KVA or slightly more i guess..

Approximate calculation link below.
VA To Watts approximate calculation

Thanks for this useful info, though it is detracting with OP request..

That's strange.how old is your battery.

Approx 6 ~ 7 yrs old..

Hope you are topping up with distilled water whenever is required.Assuming your battery is not sealed battery!!

It is Exide 100 Ah tubular battery, which is filled with distilled water once every 3 ~ 4 months..

Backside of ups there is a small switch where you have to select the battery rating according to your battery capacity.most of the places that electrician or the service guys will not be selecting the switch in proper position and it might reduce battery life.
There are small fuses as well.
Pls take additional precaution since it is hot(DC) wire.
Don't touch bare wire it is fatal.
Assuming that you are non technical person iam giving this advice :)

Wasn't aware of these details..Will check them.. Yup.. will be careful not to touch the wires..

Checking in again if any member can guide for the right UPS load here. I have a 3.5KV UPS that is currently powering a few computers, I am thinking of using that to power all the components in the AV room (since I am planning to get a 10KV version for the main space) - I hope 3.5KV will have enough head room?

Hello all, I am looking to hook up a power backup for the HT components consisting of the following. Can you recommend the recommended UPS (with its power rating) for the below items to be hooked up ?

1. AVR - Denon 2400H
2. Projector - Optoma UHD300X
3. PS4
4. Xbox One S
5. Studio Monitors X 2 - Presonus Eris E5
6. Computer - 550W power supply - i7, 1080GTX, 22" Monitor X 1

Thanks!
The typical calculation should be 500+300+150+150+550 = 1650. So you should need a 2kva UPS. I use a APC pure sine wave which gives around 30 mins of backup to make sure that my switchover from mains to generator (provided by the community) is smooth.

Performance wise its best to go with a pure sine UPS for audio equipments. Items like computers, dont need it that, so you can keep them outside.
From a budget perspective you can also look at CVT or a servo stabilizer, although their use is more towards huge fluctuations in power.

Do note these are noisy devices so have to be kept outside the media room.

I am in the same puddle as the op. Hope op doesn't mind me posting here. I too need ups. So wanted to ask the members here that would an online ups make sense that an offline one. I think it will help isolate the AVR from the mains line and give pure sinewave due to conversion from DC to AC. please correct me if i am wrong.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back