UPS switching during not fast enough - AV equipment restarts

Vijey_rockz

Hello everyone,

My AV receiver restarts every time there is a power cut. The home inverter i have is a sukam model, it doesn't switch fast enough and the receiver is very sensitive, there is frequent power cut in my locality.

Kindly suggest something like a small ups which is really fast in switching. this small ups will be powered by my home ups I don't need long back up, as my home ups kicks in few seconds, I don't want my equipments to restart.

Regards
Vijey S

Hello everyone,

My AV receiver restarts every time there is a power cut. The home inverter i have is a sukam model, it doesn't switch fast enough and the receiver is very sensitive, there is frequent power cut in my locality.

Kindly suggest something like a small ups which is really fast in switching. this small ups will be powered by my home ups I don't need long back up, as my home ups kicks in few seconds, I don't want my equipments to restart.

Regards
Vijey S
Try asking the dealers for suggestions and if possible to demo first before purchase.

It looks.. your UPS unable to handle the power from amp during switchover.. remove the system from ups and connect very less power equipment.. like cd player or dac.. try to recycle the power input... If you see no problem.. then you need higher current handling ups... If still problem.. contact the ups dealer..

Which model invertrr you have? Try chaning the mode to UPS mode then it will switch faster, there will be a switch at the back

Hello everyone,

Regards
Vijey S
Most of the home inverters have a switch over time of around 20ms which is way larger than the hold off time of the Modern AV equipments (usually 10ms). This is the reason your AVR restarts every time there is a power cut. You can get a APC UPS and hook all your AV equipments to it. The APC UPS usually has a pretty low switch over time of around 5ms.

Use an online UPS
Yes but that's going to be a expensive update for me, I am looking only for my AV components, kindly let me know if anything like is there, does everyone here use only online ups for this problem? My receiver is Denon 550bt, my ups is sukam 1100 sw

Yes but that's going to be a expensive update for me, I am looking only for my AV components, kindly let me know if anything like is there, does everyone here use only online ups for this problem? My receiver is Denon 550bt, my ups is sukam 1100 sw
I used this one in the past with my Denon (although a different model) AVR without any issues.

Which model invertrr you have? Try chaning the mode to UPS mode then it will switch faster, there will be a switch at the back
Awesome, I changed the setting from WUPS to UPS, I tried manually by shutting down the mains with AV receiver turned ON, the ups kicked in on time and there was no restarting problem, tried it two times and the problem did not occur.

Hopefully this has fixed the problem. Will let you know if the problem recurs.

Thanks again !! saved few thousands...

I used this one in the past with my Denon (although a different model) AVR without any issues.

Thank you, as Prashob suggested the setting on the back of the UPS unit WUPS-> UPS setting has fixed the issue for now, will keep an eye on the problem and decide later.

Good, only problem with UPS mode ON is inverter will switch to battery power even for slight dip in voltage, this can get irritating if there is constant voltage fluctuations in your area. If so you can switch back to normal mode after watching movie/music

Good, only problem with UPS mode ON is inverter will switch to battery power even for slight dip in voltage, this can get irritating if there is constant voltage fluctuations in your area. If so you can switch back to normal mode after watching movie/music
I have a 3kva vertex servo stabilizer which provides input to the UPS, so hopefully I don't get the problem :), fingers crossed.

I have a 3kva vertex servo stabilizer which provides input to the UPS, so hopefully I don't get the problem :), fingers crossed.
Hi Vijey,

I am currently facing a similar issue.. My Denon 250BT getting restarted during fluctuations. To avoid this issue, I've purchased a Servo stab (1KVA) and I shd say the issues now has been reduced but still it is getting restarted at least once per one hour.
The area I live is a suburb and has low voltage issue that very frequently.

How was your scenario look today post getting a servo? would you explain, pls..?!

Hi Vijey,

I am currently facing a similar issue.. My Denon 250BT getting restarted during fluctuations. To avoid this issue, I've purchased a Servo stab (1KVA) and I shd say the issues now has been reduced but still it is getting restarted at least once per one hour.
The area I live is a suburb and has low voltage issue that very frequently.

How was your scenario look today post getting a servo? would you explain, pls..?!
How was this resolved?

How was this resolved?
TL;DR:
Havent gotten resolved yet.. but has improved to a great extent, after updating my servo stab's internals.

The story:
I've bought a 2kva Servo stab from a local provider named 'Aarecc UPS & Power', an unknown local manufacturing company mainly deals with the precision industries in and around the city of Trichy, central Tamilnadu.
After contacting them over phone, one Mr. Ramesh visited my home, very patiently listened to my problems reg securing my HT system and the demonic power fluctuation issues in my suburb area, checked home wiring and at last suggested me a 2kva servo stab.
Next day, I have given a small amount as advance gpaid to his account. He told me it will take a couple of business days as he have to build one, keeping in my problem statements in mind. So, he built a custom Servo stab for 2kva, with a working Input voltage range from 140v to 270v to withstand extreme fluctuations in my single phase home - for Rs.11.3k (gst inclusive).
As promised he came to my home with a 2kva servo stab and plugged onto the wall socket. It ran well for a week or so but started to give problems when the input voltage dips down to 170v, which is not ideal. I've called him and explained the scenario...
One good thing is he was in constant touch with me and even happily agreed to replace my 1st servo with a newer one, with updated digital circuitry, due the issues I was facing...

He then provided the stab with updated digital internals and asked me to test it for a couple of days and he was open for the feedback.
While testing I've found it was withstanding, if mains input dips down well below 145v (not frequent, but happens atleast once in a day).
Functionally, the operation is much better now, say - AVR restarts once in every 3-4 hrs or so when compared to restarting in 4-5 per hour earlier, which was still great!

That aside, the issue havent completely resolved yet. I have applied for a 3-phase connection owing to the overall load factor in my home and also raised a request to install a step up transformer in our area (which is situated in a tail-end section from the main area).
It would take a few months but within that time I would get the 3-phase connection at least in near future where i can connect HT system to the phase having better voltage output, hopefully.

But for now, I have connected not just the AVR but other devices to the stab to make use of the unused load as its a 2kva one (suggested by Ramesh himself)...

So, connection chain in my custom made stab goes like this:
Mains > 2kva Servo stab > Luminous Inverter UPS (powers up only during blackouts) > AVR + 55" QLED TV + 7 led lights + 4 ceiling fans.

Point to note: Even after connecting these many electrical/electronic items to the servo, it works great guns. I've tested with adding all load one by one and still there were no hiccups at all. Now the heavy flickering issue with the home tubelights and the sudden slow/fast movement issues with the fans all are gone!

PS: If you're going for a servo stab i would recommend to get the input voltage range tweaked for the best (as wide as possible) so that it could be better utilized. Also one can add load not just the AVR alone, adding to the longevity of the other devices like fans and lights.
1KVA = 800W or 0.8KW | this calculation could be useful to add in more load to the servo stab, depending upon its kva.

Lastly, the workmanship and the super friendly attitude shown by Mr. Ramesh are commendable!

Aarecc Power: https://aareccups.com/index.php
Ramesh: 9865011733
Whatsapp: 9894633338

Last edited:
Havent gotten resolved yet..
But has improved for better. I've bought a 2kva Servo stab from a local provider named 'Aarecc UPS & Power'.
One Mr Ramesh visited me and checked my home wiring and has created a custom built Servo stab for 2kva with an working Input voltage range between 140v-270v, for rs. 11.3k (gst inclusive).
One good thing is he is in constant touch with me and even happily agreed to replace my 1st servo with a newer one, with updated digital circuitry, since I was facing some issues with the first one (the first stab doesnt output the voltage to 230v, if the mains input dips below 150v.)

I made a call and told the issue and he came to my home again and taken it to his place and came back in a day's time with and updated internals and handed it to me for testing. He asked me to test it for a couple of days and he was open for the feedback.
While testing I've found it withstands if my mains input dips down below 145v (not frequent, but happens atleast once in a day).
Functionally, the operation is much better now, say - AVR restarts once in every 3-4 hrs or so when compared to restarting in 4-5 per hour earlier, which was still great!
That aside, the issue havent completely resolved yet. I have applied for a 3-phase connection owing to the overall load factor in my home and also raised a request to install a step up transformer in our area (which is situated in a tail-end section from the main area).
It would take a few months but within that time I would get the 3-phase connection at least in near future where i can connect HT system to the phase having better voltage output, hopefully.

But for now, I have connected not just the AVR but few other devices to the Servo as its a 2kva one (suggested by Ramesh himself)...

So, connections in my custom made servo stab goes like this..
Mains > 2kva Servo stab > Luminous Inverter UPS (powers up only during blackouts) > AVR + 55" QLED TV + 7 led lights + 4 ceiling fans.

Point to note: Even after connecting these many electrical/electronic items to the servo, it works great guns. I've tested with adding all load one by one and still there were no hiccups at all. Now the heavy flickering issue with the home tubelights and the sudden slow/fast movement issues with the fans all are gone!

PS: If you're going for a servo stab i would recommend to get the input voltage range tweaked for the best (as wide as possible) so that it could be better utilized. Also one can add load not just the AVR alone, adding to the longevity of the other devices like fans and lights.
1KVA = 800W or 0.8KW | this calculation could be useful to add in more load to the servo stab, depending upon its kva.

Lastly, the workmanship and the super friendly attitude shown by Mr. Ramesh are commendable!

Aarecc Power: https://aareccups.com/index.php
Ramesh: 9865011733
Whatsapp: 9894633338
Thanks for the detailed response. So urs is a single phase supply at home. Is it a flat or an independent house?
Also, what is the UPS ur using? Pls share the link. I suppose its online UPS? If so, where did you keep it?

Do you have this stab only for AV near TV area in a 16A socket or otherwise?
What about the protection for other devices? Pls suggest.

Also is that company available at hyderabad?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back