Upscaler for HD TV

The DVDO edge retails for a MSRP of 699 USD and at amazon for 589 USD. You can try 20North or Borderlinks and get to India at close to 40-50k Rs.

Actually even though there'll hd transmission soon, we need a dedicated upscaler for viewing older dvds till blue ray becomes very popular and my library grows....

My idea is like: let the lcd do its work of displaying whatever it is capable of and I'll enable it to display the best..

So, planning to buy a DVDO EDGE, the best of its kind in the market now.

Though there is nothing wrong in getting an external video processor, for 50-100K of additional costs, you can get an AVR that will do the same job and provide full 7.1 amplification to boot. Unless you have some specific advantages that you see, I do not see much value is getting a DVDO type video processor.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Venkat,

I see your point. The problem is I'll not be able to have a demo of dvdo and 1910/2310 to compare and decide whether dvdo is worth 40-50K.

Another issue is that, some reviews say that the upscaler in TV is as good as the one in 1910/2310. So unable to decide. :(:(

Rama

I see your point. The problem is I'll not be able to have a demo of dvdo and 1910/2310 to compare and decide whether dvdo is worth 40-50K.

Another issue is that, some reviews say that the upscaler in TV is as good as the one in 1910/2310. So unable to decide. :(:(

You have to go by specification and reviews on the Net. Any AVR that has a Anchor Bay or HQV/Reon processor will be far above other processors in the market. As far as I know, no TV uses either of these. The best I have heard of is the use of Fardoudja on a TV. Else most of them use proprietary scaling engines.

Cheers

Ohh...thats a good news for me....So, it is always better to go with a video processor ..thanks.....

I'm looking for a good hd tv which does minimum wrt to additional processing....I'll post my observations as soon as I get them....

The DVDO edge retails for a MSRP of 699 USD and at amazon for 589 USD. You can try 20North or Borderlinks and get to India at close to 40-50k Rs.
Hi sud98,

I've read many issues with 20north delivery. I'm new to borderlinx. Do you / anyone has experience with borderlinx for a high value item like DVDO or a samsung 55 inch led?

Thanks,
Rama

Santosh(santhol2) is waiting for his purchase to come through Borderlinks. Read the thread new facility from citibank in the general chit-chat to check for ppl who have done so. Emotiva does direct shipping but has a long waiting period.

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with DVDO edge? And what is its price in India. Soundsmiths are the official distributors for this product in India.

DVDO Edge follows a video first approach as against the audio first of AVRs. It transcodes/de-interlaces/upscales all (yes even analog) video to HDMI using the video chip that is found in the famed Oppo BDP-83 blue-ray player. Infact they are the creators of that chip. Further, DVDO edge can strip the audio (both analog and/or digital) to a separate HDMI/toslink output. This would allow me to use my old but pretty good AVR for the sound decoding.

More details at DVDO Edge site.

So any inputs on this products from real users are welcome.

- Prasad.

I am expecting delivery of mine in 10-15 days! Will give a shout about performance on all sources when I get it.

I have been using DVDO edge for around 2 month now. Purchased from 20north. Costed @ 38k. I have connected Sun HD set top box, Oppo 983H, HTPC, Pioneer DV610 and Pioneer BD-51fd to it via HDMI. The video is fed to LG42LH90 and audio to Marantz SR7002. I am very much satisfied with the results. The Oppo and Pioneer are great upscaler but DVDO is better. I have set Sun HD output to 1080i and let DVDO upscales it to 1080p and the result is outstanding. The BD rips played from HTPC looks fantastic. I made a comparision with Predator Blu Ray and Predator BD rip and was hardly any difference as far as pixelation is concerned. But I am having a little problem with Edge's remote. The edge is not responding to remote. I have updated the firmware to the latest and have Contacted Edge support team. I have asked for help on this problem on AVS forum and waiting for some inputs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051246&page=204
The Edge support team says there may be hardware issue. The edge is probably in default mode for all setting and working fine.

Here is my findings on DVDO EDGE after a week of testing on Tata Sky HD, Tvix-Hd7000, Sony Bdp s 350 , Sony-DVPNS78 , Xbox 360, HDI-Dune- Bd-prime 3.0

Sony DVD= Quality is superb, better than oppo bdp-83 esp 24hz recapturing on movies

Tata Sky HD= Video is superb, Audio Hdmi glitch no surround audio so I run coaxial to dvdo for dd 5.1 and pairing it with the hdmi video.

Sony BDP s350= Blu ray on 24hz is same as usual, dvd upscaled looks better after Prep in edge.

HDI-DUNE BD-Prime 3.0 = failed, snow and noise in picture while running through edge, no probs running straight to receiver.

Xbox 360 = Failed, tremendous lag and frames drop even in game mode, unplayable. Video quality was beautiful though, pity

Tvix- HD 7000= Everything Full HD to sd looks spectacular.

The upscaling is much better implemented than my oppo-bp 83
the input settings memory is a cool feature .

i got the dvdo edge for 429$ from amazon/beachcamera,plus 24$ for overnight shipment
i will be able to test it once i get back home

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back