Urgent : Help on wiring the speaker

ramvenk

Hi All,

I have a yamaha rxv-479. Currently I have an old Aiwa speaker (bookshelf type) .. Need your help in connecting them to AVR.

Each speaker has 2 sets of wires. The specs says one as 6Ohm and other one as 16 Ohms.

My AVR says min 6 Ohms per speaker.

How should I wire the speaker to terminal ?
Should I wire both in the same front speaker terminal (i read that if they are in same terminal, they would be in parallel connection, resulting at 4.5ohms & AVR min is 6 ohms) ?
Or Should I use one more terminal in my AVR for the 16 ohm wire ?

Please guide me... :sad:

Hi

Suggest you try using the other terminal of the AVR and run the AVR on low volume in all channel stereo mode....

There would be a trick to perhaps connect the speakers in series....check over the internet to understand better and see whats the resulting ohms...

can you post an image?
this might be a bi amped set up with active crossovers, in which case you might blow your tweeters if you connect them direct

Back of speakers
attachment.php

Front of speaker
attachment.php

Thanks for your quick responses. Kindly guide me...

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_213626~3.jpg
    IMG_20160107_213626~3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20160107_213654~2.jpg
    IMG_20160107_213654~2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 88
From the pics it looks like 2 sets of speakers in one assembly.
Fronts and surround simulators/stimulators.
Do you have the unit model number to which these speakers belongs to?
Or any documentation that came with the original unit?

Cheers,
Raghu

connect each set seperately, and run the avr at low volume to identify which wire drives which set. Since you have an AVR, connect the fronts to the speakers in front, and the rears to the ones on the side. You may need to set the speakers accordingly

Hi Raghu,

The speakers belong to Aiwa NSX-s52. and the speaker model is ANS-70.

Below is the spec I have pulled out from the manual.

Cabinet: 4 way Bass reflex with surround

Woofer: 160mm cone type
Tweeter : 50mm cone type
super tweeter : 20mm ceramic type
cardioid speaker: 80mm cone type
Surrond speaker : 80mm cone type

Impedence:
Front speaker : 6 Ohm
Surround speaker : 16Ohm

Output sound pressure level: 87 dB/W/m

try to figure out the RMS capacity - of the speakers or the system. I doubt it can take all the full output of the reciever, so you may need to run it at lower volumes

Hi Greenhorn,

I couldnt get the RMS values, whatever i could get was its 1500W PMPO.. Would that help in this .. Im unsure..

These kind of systems would be in the range of 20-30W RMS (max) as far as speakers are concerned. The Amp claims 60Wpc.

Please dont increase volume suddenly. Speakers may blow.

Cheers,
Raghu

With these kind of side-effects, better I would abandon this for my AVR.. :sad:
I would go for better speaker to go with Yamaha rxv479...

Which would be a better sound with Yamaha ? Tannoy HTS101 or Polk TL1600

And have anyone heard of Taga 406v? Generally how are Taga compared to tannoy or polk ..

Please suggest...

Hi Ramvenk,

There are a lot of brands of speakers available...all depends on what type you want...bookshelf or satellite or floor standing ones....key is to audition as many speakers as you can and shortlist what appeals to you in appearance, budget and performance...all the best

Thank you..
If I'm planning to buy bookshelfs as LCR set up with sub... can you please suggest best options..? 50:50 music:movies.. Budget of 25K ....
Please pour in your suggestions..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back