Urgent help with htpc!!

Eddierockks

hi everyone..

i currently have a samsung x series home theatre(800 watts).. dont remembr the name,samsung 32" lcd with 1080i, ps3, a cpu (lyk a HTPC) and tata sky. I have connected my ps3 via hdmi to Lcd and optical cable to the HT. Tata sky uses the normal output thru tv,audio n video. The CPU is also connected to lcd via hdmi. Now the problem is that i have two hdmi cables and everytime i play ps3 and then i want to play a dvd on my HT, I have to take out the hdmi and put it into the HT. I am pretty tired of this. Currently i am in shanghai and i am looking for a solution to this problem so that i dont have to change the wire again and again. I also want to change my CPU's audio to my HT. I am not very great wth cables and their names. So please excuse me if i am wrong somewhere. I want to connect my cpu and tata sky to my HT via optical cables. I am therefore lookin in for somethin that can help me avoiding the pain of shifting wires again and again. PLEASE SUGGEST ME THE NAME OF SOMTHING LIKE A OPTICAL CABLE MULTIPLIER SO THAT IF I PRESS 1, IT SHOULD PLAY THE AUDIO OF NO1, ETC. Or do i have to buy and amplifier lyk an AV receiver, insert all the optical cables in it and then connect it to the HT (eg- one optical cable output from the amp to the optical input of the HT???? :sad: I will prefer a cheaper solution for it. I am gonna buy an xbox( that too with hdmi output) and then a wii in a month or two. So there will be a lot of shifting wires all the time :mad: . Otherwise, shud i buy a asus xonar audio card (i have heard that it has got optical output). Id be leaving china tommorow night. So a fast reply would be highly recommended.

So the main issues: - tata sky's audio ; ps3 audio ; cpu's audio and xbox's audio TO THE HT!

Help me out guys.. I reli need your help as I am confused to the core ! :sad: Thanks in advance.

hi everyone..

i currently have a samsung x series home theatre(800 watts).. dont remembr the name,samsung 32" lcd with 1080i, ps3, a cpu (lyk a HTPC) and tata sky. I have connected my ps3 via hdmi to Lcd and optical cable to the HT. Tata sky uses the normal output thru tv,audio n video. The CPU is also connected to lcd via hdmi. Now the problem is that i have two hdmi cables and everytime i play ps3 and then i want to play a dvd on my HT, I have to take out the hdmi and put it into the HT. I am pretty tired of this. Currently i am in shanghai and i am looking for a solution to this problem so that i dont have to change the wire again and again. I also want to change my CPU's audio to my HT. I am not very great wth cables and their names. So please excuse me if i am wrong somewhere. I want to connect my cpu and tata sky to my HT via optical cables. I am therefore lookin in for somethin that can help me avoiding the pain of shifting wires again and again. PLEASE SUGGEST ME THE NAME OF SOMTHING LIKE A OPTICAL CABLE MULTIPLIER SO THAT IF I PRESS 1, IT SHOULD PLAY THE AUDIO OF NO1, ETC. Or do i have to buy and amplifier lyk an AV receiver, insert all the optical cables in it and then connect it to the HT (eg- one optical cable output from the amp to the optical input of the HT???? :sad: I will prefer a cheaper solution for it. I am gonna buy an xbox( that too with hdmi output) and then a wii in a month or two. So there will be a lot of shifting wires all the time :mad: . Otherwise, shud i buy a asus xonar audio card (i have heard that it has got optical output). Id be leaving china tommorow night. So a fast reply would be highly recommended.

So the main issues: - tata sky's audio ; ps3 audio ; cpu's audio and xbox's audio TO THE HT!

Help me out guys.. I reli need your help as I am confused to the core ! :sad: Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you are not utilizing your AVR properly.

Connect PC, PS3, HTPC to AVR for audio (optical or coax cables)
AVR ---------- TV via HDMI

so your connections may look like

(PS3, HTPC, Tata Sky) --- optical/coax --- AVR

(PS3, HTPC, Tata Sky) --- HDMI or Component --- AVR ---------- HDMI or component ----------- TV for video

Buy a logitech harmony remote and setup so that one button will switch one set at a time and switch off others.

Last edited:
I guess your HT includes the DVD player with HDMI output (upscaling)

I guess you will need Optical connection for following:
1. HTPC with soundcards like Asus Xonar DX or D2X
2. PS3
3. XBox

For Tata Sky you can connect to RCA (L+R) stereo input if available on your HT. Otherwise direct to TV.

How many Co-axial/ Optical inputs are there in your HT?

There are Optical to co-axial converters available with MX in India. Approx Rs. 800. You can easily get Chinese stuff over there.

How many HDMI inputs are there in your TV?
For HDMI cable solution you need a switch as shown here:

Network media player - Shenzhen Elektron Technology Company Limited
They are in Shenzhen. Sale person is Ms. Cathy Wang. You can give my reference if you like.

You can connect DVD/ XboX/ PS3 HDMI cables to this switch and output thru one HDMI cable to TV.

You can also consider products like these http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4port_toslink.htm

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back