URGENT Looking for a home theatre speakers - with 5.1 - speakers and amplifiers

Nanipop

Hi

I am new to this arena...I have just done up my place and my living room is around 180 sq ft - I am looking for a home theatre system with satellite speakers within 75k incl the amp

I have seen a few - which are :

Satellite Speakers
Cerwin Vega CVHD 5.1
Energy Take Classic
Mirage Nano Sat
BOSE LIfestyle V 20
Infintiy MOdulus II
JBL
Harmon Kardon
Mordaunt Short
JAMO A402 with A 500 surround

AMPLIFIERS (am looking for upconversion to HD for video and dual zone facility)
DENON 1909
ONKYO SR 706 (or is it 606) not sure

Having seen and heard so many, I am thoroughly confused and need to take a decision. I have liked the audio of the Cerwin Vega but it is too huge for my space (the sub woofer is 12 inches)

We will use it for normal TV viewing and largely Movies with 35% music listening .

Any recommendations will definitely help and what should I be looking for - can stretch my budget by 10-15% but not more.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I would suggest you for Onkyo 706(around 50-55k) and Energy Take Classic (Around 28K) Since you look for satellite sub combo.

I would also suggest you audition Jamo A102HCS5.

Thanks,
Prakash

Energy (D/O), Infinity (D/O), Morduant (O) or Jamo (O) in that order

D = Denon O = ...

Hi

I am new to this arena...I have just done up my place and my living room is around 180 sq ft - I am looking for a home theatre system with satellite speakers within 75k incl the amp

I have seen a few - which are :

Satellite Speakers
Cerwin Vega CVHD 5.1
Energy Take Classic
Mirage Nano Sat
BOSE LIfestyle V 20
Infintiy MOdulus II
JBL
Harmon Kardon
Mordaunt Short
JAMO A402 with A 500 surround

AMPLIFIERS (am looking for upconversion to HD for video and dual zone facility)
DENON 1909
ONKYO SR 706 (or is it 606) not sure

Having seen and heard so many, I am thoroughly confused and need to take a decision. I have liked the audio of the Cerwin Vega but it is too huge for my space (the sub woofer is 12 inches)

We will use it for normal TV viewing and largely Movies with 35% music listening .

Any recommendations will definitely help and what should I be looking for - can stretch my budget by 10-15% but not more.

Thanks in advance

what is the cost for those cervin vega? Seem to have great repuation on amazon. 12 inch sub is good for movies.

It is widely accepted that active loudspeakers sound better than passive ones. This is because the signal split is done at line level before power amplification so active crossovers can be made truly transparent with active electronics to correct time and phase alignment between drivers. It is also easy to design and provide active filters for adjustment of the low frequency slopes for various acoustical environments and spatial loads. Also special power amplifiers designs can be easily optimised for the particular drive units to a level that is almost impossible to achieve through any kind of single full band amplifier drive through a passive crossover in a passive system. Contrary to traditional Hi Fi opinion, it is easier to design and manufacture active systems with very high quality performance whilst trying to design and manufacture passive systems to achieve the same quality performance the passive way is extremely difficult and comes with significant compromises. Hence there are the massive savings to be made and it is no exaggeration to state that good active speakers will outperform, by an appreciable margin, passive systems costing many times their price. This is fact not hype.
You could check out Genelec active systems at
Genelec Oy - Products
You could get a demo of these at the Pandam showroom in Mahim Bombay
Genelec Oy - Distributors
I was at their showroom earlier this week to listen to their latest DSP active loudspeaker system and I can tell you it was an amazing sound experience

Last edited:
audition onkyo with energy take classic 5.1,mirage nanosat,even the q acoustics 1010i 5.1 package should be great.cheers

It is widely accepted that active loudspeakers sound better than passive ones.

Cannot see them fitting in the scenario of a HT system where the AVR will do the powering/amplification. Unless you're talking of connecting these speakers directly to the DVDP, but then achieving 5.1/7.1 will not be possible with them. You'll need to purchase 5/7 powered speakers and 1 powered sub. Connectivity will be another issue with digital/analog support for HD Audio or even DTS from the DVDP.

I do agree they're easier to use/manage and a great option say for someone who wants great speakers while listening to music on his PC or in a setting where they want more punch in SQ when watching TV, but using them in a 5.1/7.1 HT setup will be difficult and that's what the OP is looking for.

Well, the right thing to use with a high resolution active analog loudspeaker system is a high quality multichannel surround preamp decoder. There are plenty of choices, from the budget Denon DN-A-7100 to the more expensive Lexicon etc. etc. I could send you a long list of very high quality preamps if you need. These preamps accept digital and analog signals from all disc players and decode dolby & dts with professional quality decoders, do bass management and output delay for all the channels. Some of the better preamps also offer subwoofer phase adjustment and automatic calibration. All these preamps output analogue line level signals, balanced or single ended unbalanced.

If you are using a DSP active loudspeaker system, and you want the whole signal path kept digital, all you need is a Meridian G92 integrated dvd system which offers multichannel digital decoded outputs. The Meridian G92 & G96 have three digital outputs, one carrying Front L&R, another carrying Surround L&R and the third carrying Center & LFE. These three multichannel decoded digital outputs from the Meridian G92 or G96 can be wired directly to the digital inputs of the Genelec DSP active loudspeaker system allowing the cleanest pure digital signal path. It cannot get any better than this!

Last edited:
If you are using a DSP active loudspeaker system, and you want the whole signal path kept digital, all you need is a Meridian G92 integrated dvd system which offers multichannel digital decoded outputs. The Meridian G92 & G96 have three digital outputs, one carrying Front L&R, another carrying Surround L&R and the third carrying Center & LFE. These three multichannel decoded digital outputs from the Meridian G92 or G96 can be wired directly to the digital inputs of the Genelec DSP active loudspeaker system allowing the cleanest pure digital signal path. It cannot get any better than this!

HiFi, you are talking about systems that cost lakhs of rupees. This is out of reach of most of the people on this forum.

At those prices, passive speakers from companies such as B&W paired with top end processors/amplifiers will give the powered speakers a solid run for their money.

Cheers

Ha ha, yeah, those DSP active loudspeaker systems can be expensive. But analog active loudspeaker systems dont all cost in lakhs. I agree, powered speakers may not be that exciting. But we are not talking about powered speakers. Active speakers are not powered speakers. Powered speakers have a single full band power amplifier driving a single, two-way or three-way speaker system through a passive crossover. Active speakers have separate specially optimised amplifiers for each speaker driver. These are bi-amped or tri-amped systems with precision active crossovers. Its difficult to understand how a full band amplifier driving multiple speaker drivers through a passive crossover can be better.

Last edited:
Its difficult to understand how a full band amplifier driving multiple speaker drivers through a passive crossover can be better.

And that is exactly the reason why companies such as Feastrex and Fostex are propagating single driver systems. They work very well for music, but may not be suitable for movies.

In any case, all such systems are expensive. I know of a single driver costing 40,000 dollars. Add cabinet, testing and other issues, and you are talking about 50 lakhs for a pair of speakers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well, what you are refering to is certainly very expensive fare
I just ran a search on Google
Denon DN-A-7100 preamp processor decoder retail price USD 1099/- only
Genelec 6010, 8020, 8030 retail unit price EUR 208/-, 319/-, 484/- respectively
Genelec DSP 8240, 8250 retail unit price EUR 1116/- 1623/- respectively

Last edited:
Well, what you are refering to is certainly very expensive fare
I just ran a search on Google
Denon DN-A-7100 preamp processor decoder retail price USD 1099/- only
Genelec 6010, 8020, 8030 retail unit price EUR 208/-, 319/-, 484/- respectively
Genelec DSP 8240, 8250 retail unit price EUR 1116/- 1623/- respectively

HiFi, please start a separate thread if you want to discuss these issues. This thread was started by the OP to solve his issue.

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back