Urgent! Looking for Wireless Headphone solution for mom who is Hearing Impaired

andycommon

I have been looking without much luck (mostly due to my ignorance with the av tech stuff) for a Wireless Headphone for my Mom who is hearing impaired. She uses an in-the-ear hearing aid.

The key requirements from the headsets are -
  • To be able to listen to the TV audio on the Headset and also at the same time other family members can listen to the TV audio via its speakers.
  • Should be comfortable, light-weight, rechargeable.

I know Sennheiser makes Assitive Listening devices but the showrooms here (Bangalore) do not stock them and the staff has no clue about it. What i read on the Net on them sounds good but not sure if it will serve my above requirement.

I am traveling to Hong Kong next week and hence planning on buying it from there.

Any help on this would be greatly greatly appreciated.

I am looking for Wireless Headphones designed specifically for those who are Hearing Impaired.

I think the ones you mentioned are standard sets. Again, my key requirement is that while the headset is hooked to the television set, other family members should also be able to listen to the audio. While i have been told that this is not logical, i am hoping there is a workaround and specific headsets made to resolve this issue.

While i have been told that this is not logical
That depends on whether plugging in a headphone mutes the speakers or not. This is a matter for the TV, rather than the headphone, and could not be resolved by the headphone. If you are looking for the headphone to resolve this issue, yuo are looking in the wrong place: it is a matter of a switch inside the headphone plug.

Alternatively, if your TV headphone socket does mute the speakers (try it, with any headphone!) then you can try looking for audio line out (two phono sockets; one red, the other white, likely to be a yellow one for video which you can ignore) to a small headphone amp (you can search for that on this site).

Apart from this switching issue, what you expecting the headphones to achieve? Simply feeding a higher volume into your mum's ears that would be uncomfortable for the rest of the family? Or are you expecting any processing of the sound according to the profile of her hearing?

I am looking for Wireless Headphones designed specifically for those who are Hearing Impaired.

My father-in-law who also has the same requirement. He uses a regular unbranded Wireless Headphones comfortably. They work absolutely fine!

I think the ones you mentioned are standard sets. Again, my key requirement is that while the headset is hooked to the television set, other family members should also be able to listen to the audio. While i have been told that this is not logical, i am hoping there is a workaround and specific headsets made to resolve this issue.

The standard sets have this feature. You need to use audio out (RCA) of your TV instead of headphones out for this to work. You'll find RCA sockets at the back of your TV that say something like monitor out. Connecting headphones to audio out socket will allow you to control volume for the headphones and TV's native speakers independently.

There is a risk associated with unbranded wireless headphones. I wasted some money on an unbranded one that had an unstable tuning. Another I purchased at the same price (Rs. 750/-) worked fine. Branded tend to cost higher - Rs. 3000/- or so for Sony.

How about this: Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS 140 Wireless HiFi Headphone with Dynamic Compression System: Electronics

From the product description :
The adjustable high output level can compensate for minor hearing loss

From a user review :
P.S. TO ANYONE WITH HEARING LOSS
If you have reduced hearing, particularly in one ear, you should probably choose the RS-140 model. The addition of the closed back (for isolation), L-R balance control, and compression switch (to equalize the overall volume) could be helpful.

Another:
Sennheiser is an old and trusted name when it comes to headphones. I purchased the wireless RS140 because I have a hearing loss and do not want to wear my hearing aids all day long. I primarily wanted them so I wouldn't have to turn up the tv to understand what was being said. After I hooked them up, I turned them on and only had to adjust the volume. I found I could walk around my apartment go into other rooms and not miss a word. The sound is perfect.

Answer already given by others. Plugin a spare headphone to the headphone output of your tv and check whether sound comes through the tv speakers as well. Some times you will need to look for the tv sound settings.

Last edited:
I am using Philips SHC1300 since last year purached for 1.4k from ezone. They are lightweight, soft perfect for your need. Connected with AAA rechargable cells works for many hours without issues. It is connected to my LG 29 CRT headphone out which works parellel to main speakers and has seperate volumn control in TV menu. So one headphone + main speakars can put on simultanously. Check this first with your TV first or else you can go through the audio out way.

Sennheiser_MX_W1_wireless_headphones.jpg

Sennheiser MX W1

sleek-audio-sa6-w1-loose-300x283.jpg

Sleek Audio

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back