Urgently need suggestions for 4L HT. Thanks :*

turntablist

Dear community,

After years of patience, research and savings, I am building my dream 5.2.1 HT setup.
Please have a look at the components and provide your highly valuable suggestions comments.
Much thanks and appreciation for all the help :)

Room: 14*18 feet with double height (hut shaped) ceiling with some cutouts (8 corners). Glass in many places. Acoustically challenging.

What I listen to: Mostly EDM, hindi/punjabi songs and movies

Sound Signature: I like tight, punchy and detailed bass, not over the top and definitely not boomy. A slightly
warm signature is preferrred rather than reference or neutral

Components I have decided:

1. Front L/R : Crystal Acoustics T3
http://www.crystalaudio.com/usd/tx-t3-special-edition-thx-ultra2-certified-hi-fi-speakers.html

2. Subwoofer: B&W PV1D

3. Center: Either the Taga Harmony Platinum C-100 or the Wharfedale 240C

4. Surround L/R: Either the Taga Harmony Platinum S-100 or the Wharfedale DFS

5. Height Channels: Sony SS-CS5

6. Cables: C&E 12AWG

7. AVR: Yamaha RX-V685 or the Denon X2400H (Please advise the better one. Better for music. Movies are second priority)

https://www.amazon.in/12AWG-Enhance..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=YFA5M5H5EEV0ZRM1GRG1

Out of all these components, I have only <almost> bought the Crystal Acoustics T3. I need to make a purchase ASAP due to some constraints. So, please guide me. Thanks Again.

My queries are:

1. Which surround/ center speakers to buy? Which will timbre match with my front L/R speakers?
The Taga looks better specs wise but I want the better product.
The difference of 12K in the 2 choices is immaterial :-D

2. IS the height channel I have settled on fine? I wanted somewhat of different speakers as compared to my front L/R speakers; so that I can enjoy a different sound signature for stereo listening when the mood presents itself :)

3. The cables fine? Please advise better 12 AWG wires if not.
Also, need premium looking (preferably black) banana plugs

4.The most expensive component B&W PV1D is really expensive (170K FFS). How can i get it for a little bit cheaper (with warranty)

5. The Crystal Acoustics T3 will be bought from HTStore.in . I really liked those speakers after an audition. I am just skeptical as to why these did not sell yet. Did you get a chance to audition these? or are you aware of any problems with these speakers?

6. Advise on AVR please. Not more than 80K. Need money for the dream Sub.

Please advise. Much love for all the help :)

Last edited:
Hi,

You are doing a big mistake by buying speakers from different brands. You will never end up getting a coherent sound field where the movie surrounds you. Hence I strongly suggest that you stick with one brand for your F/C/SR.

If your budget it Rs. 4L that is a fantastic budget. Do not buy the PV1 sub and then mix it with Taga speakers. It is a waste of money. Go with one entire package say from Monitor Audio/ B&W/ Etc. and you will be happy. The PV1 sub is a very clean sub and you may not be able to match it with Taga and the speakers you mentioned.

1. Budget about Rs. 80k-1L for a good Yamaha/ Marantz amp
2. Budget about Rs. 80k-1L for a good monitor audio/ SVS/ REL sub
3. Buy all the speakers from ONE brand. The mid budget warriors are monitor audio, dynaudio, focal, revel, etc.

Set it up well. A good home theater needs a a good setup or it will sound like a gym with music just blaring from ever corner.

Thank you for your reply.

I chose the T3 for music (I really liked those for music) + movies. I can change the height channels to match my center/surround.
The contentions are

1. Want dipole/ bipole surrounds only. For me, only these 2 are in budget (because the sub will eat most of budget and i really want it)
2. I can only but the T3+ Amp now. Rest in 1 month and the sub in 3 months
3. The sub has a really good DSP/ EW so i think it can match with whatever
4. Amp (yamaha rx-v685) I can change later. but i dont want to buy speakers again and again

Dear community,

After years of patience, research and savings, I am building my dream 5.2.1 HT setup.
Please have a look at the components and provide your highly valuable suggestions comments.
Much thanks and appreciation for all the help :)

Room: 14*18 feet with double height (hut shaped) ceiling with some cutouts (8 corners). Glass in many places. Acoustically challenging.

What I listen to: Mostly EDM, hindi/punjabi songs and movies

Sound Signature: I like tight, punchy and detailed bass, not over the top and definitely not boomy. A slightly
warm signature is preferrred rather than reference or neutral

Components I have decided:

1. Front L/R : Crystal Acoustics T3
http://www.crystalaudio.com/usd/tx-t3-special-edition-thx-ultra2-certified-hi-fi-speakers.html

2. Subwoofer: B&W PV1D

3. Center: Either the Taga Harmony Platinum C-100 or the Wharfedale 240C

4. Surround L/R: Either the Taga Harmony Platinum S-100 or the Wharfedale DFS

5. Height Channels: Sony SS-CS5

6. Cables: C&E 12AWG

https://www.amazon.in/12AWG-Enhance..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=YFA5M5H5EEV0ZRM1GRG1

Out of all these components, I have only <almost> bought the Crystal Acoustics T3. I need to make a purchase ASAP due to some constraints. So, please guide me. Thanks Again.

My queries are:

1. Which surround/ center speakers to buy? Which will timbre match with my front L/R speakers?
The Taga looks better specs wise but I want the better product.
The difference of 12K in the 2 choices is immaterial :-D

2. IS the height channel I have settled on fine? I wanted somewhat of different speakers as compared to my front L/R speakers; so that I can enjoy a different sound signature for stereo listening when the mood presents itself :)

3. The cables fine? Please advise better 12 AWG wires if not.
Also, need premium looking preferably black) banana plugs

4.The most expensive component B&W PV1D is really expensive (170K FFS). How can i get it for a little bit cheaper (with warranty)

5. The Crystal Acoustics T3 will be bought from HTStore.in . I really liked those speakers after an audition. I am just skeptical as to why these did not sell yet. Did you get a chance to audition these? or are you aware of any problems with these speakers?

Please advise. Much love for all the help :)

Hi,

With that kind of budget, you should explore and audition different brands and systems based on appearance and performance.....never reveal the real budget you have in hand....you can inform the area size to the dealers....

Audition with your music or movie content....this will serve as a reference for you.

If you trust your ears and instincts, you can match different brands effectively well.....fine tuning it will take some time. Patience is required.

Example, I use Bose 301s III as fronts, Dali Pico as Center and Cambridge Audio S30s and BIC America PL200 sub all hooked to SR6009 Marantz...besides audyssey setup..had to manually tune freq for each of them including bass management....achieved the right blend.....

Dont rush, check all details....all the best...see some posts under What Should I buy or Home Theatre ...it will give some ideas...

Advise on AVR please. Not more than 80K.

A very good overall budget, but too less budget for AVR..

Subwoofer: B&W PV1D

I understand you are after dream sub for 170K.. I will admit that i have never experienced a expensive sub, but that is hell of a money for a sub IMO, however good it may be..

As bass is the most challenging part in any room, it may demand atleast 2 or more subs, placed in better locations in the room..

Is this a dedicated room?..Would be good if you could share some pics..

With your room size and budget, you can do a fantastic 7.2.4 set-up (or) 7.4.4 if need be for your budget..

The Crystal Acoustics T3 will be bought from HTStore.in

Have you bought this already?..

It is best to use atleast a center channel speaker as that of fronts..

For surrounds, surr back you can use other brands..

2. IS the height channel I have settled on fine?

Yes.. But if the height channels is same (brand) as front, even better..

Hi,

With that kind of budget, you should explore and audition different brands and systems based on appearance and performance.....never reveal the real budget you have in hand....you can inform the area size to the dealers....

Audition with your music or movie content....this will serve as a reference for you.

If you trust your ears and instincts, you can match different brands effectively well.....fine tuning it will take some time. Patience is required.

Example, I use Bose 301s III as fronts, Dali Pico as Center and Cambridge Audio S30s and BIC America PL200 sub all hooked to SR6009 Marantz...besides audyssey setup..had to manually tune freq for each of them including bass management....achieved the right blend.....

Dont rush, check all details....all the best...see some posts under What Should I buy or Home Theatre ...it will give some ideas...

Thanks for the support. The first reply from audiopro scared me because I have almost settled on the components. If the performance can be fine tuned for integration, I am up for it. BTW, all this has to be done through the AVR, right?

Replying to @elangoas, comments

A very good overall budget, but too less budget for AVR..

I understand you are after dream sub for 170K.. I will admit that i have never experienced a expensive sub, but that is hell of a money for a sub IMO, however good it may be..

As bass is the most challenging part in any room, it may demand atleast 2 or more subs, placed in better locations in the room..

I would rather buy my dream sub than but 2 idiotic looking boxes. even if it means a 20 % drop in performance
Jab dil gadhe pe aa gaya to Apsara kya karegi

Is this a dedicated room?..Would be good if you could share some pics..
Not a dedicated room. My bedroom. So, a 5.2.1 is enough

With your room size and budget, you can do a fantastic 7.2.4 set-up (or) 7.4.4 if need be for your budget..

Have you bought this already?..

Almost. Please share your contention ASAP as i have to make the payment by EOD

It is best to use atleast a center channel speaker as that of fronts..

I can, but the centre channel from crystala acoustics has only 2 drivers vs 5 of the other listed here.
If you think that the same brand center channel will be good, please let me know (with reasons) and i will go for it

For surrounds, surr back you can use other brands..

Yes.. But if the height channels is same (brand) as front, even better..
no can do. hope the sony works out. (gives me added benefit of changing the sound signature of my stereo setup whenever required.)

Thanks for the support. The first reply from audiopro scared me because I have almost settled on the components. If the performance can be fine tuned for integration, I am up for it. BTW, all this has to be done through the AVR, right?

Yes...get the AVR which can tweak all stuff effectively...

For speakers...irrespective of the brand...get the ones which can deliver maximum frequencies between 20hz and 20khz.....ensure the sensitivity is 88db or more....it will put less strain on the avr.....next is cone material and built quality...check all that too...make a difference...

If you read the setup i have...all have different kind of tweeters, woofer cones and cabinet design...placement also matters....tweaking can be done using the options in the AVR...so get a good AVR..... You can adjust type of speaker (Small / Large) Bass Management LFE+ Main or LFE only.....Low frequency can be set for each speaker.....frequency for cutoff to sub can also be set!

Bottomline.....trust your instincts and EARs....afterall everyone can advise....you are the ultimate owner and will be using your own system everyday!

I would rather buy my dream sub than but 2 idiotic looking boxes. even if it means a 20 % drop in performance

Hmm.. I don't know in what context you say "2 idiotic looking boxes".. There seem to be acoustical benefits of two or more subs in a room.. Plenty of topics suggesting the need to multiple subs in a room.. Do check them out..

If you firmly believe that a single expensive sub will cut it out for you, you should get it..

Jab dil gadhe pe aa gaya to Apsara kya karegi

Don't know hindi.. So didn't get it :p..

Not a dedicated room. My bedroom. So, a 5.2.1 is enough

Perfect.. Then atleast Denon x 3400, for it has Audyssey XT32 capabilities.. If not, Denon x 2400..

Almost. Please share your contention ASAP as i have to make the payment by EOD

I was just asking, & thought of suggesting identical speakers.. But i believe you have your heart set on the FS..

I can, but the centre channel from crystala acoustics has only 2 drivers vs 5 of the other listed here.

If you are referring to THX-CT-BLA, i think they would be a perfect match to your FS in consideration..

If you think that the same brand center channel will be good, please let me know (with reasons) and i will go for it

Speakers from the same brand & same series is preferred as the sound signature wouldn't change when a sound effects move from one side to the other..

I have identical speakers for my L - C - R and it just sound great..

no can do. hope the sony works out. (gives me added benefit of changing the sound signature of my stereo setup whenever required.)

Sony should work.. Just make sure the speakers have mount hole threads at the back, so that you can mount from ceiling..

Since musical HT is your interest, I would suggest that you go visit DNI (Bellandur) branch as well. I recently saw a banner on discounts outside their building and they have a wider range of products to try out. At your budget, you can negotiate bigger discount.
I don't intend to confuse you but a few points to consider:
  1. Do you really need a FS when you are going for a big SW? This will help you save on 25-30K which can be added to AVR.
  2. When you are going for B&W subwoofer, why not consider B&W setup for the rest as well? Please reach out to @rbalagopalan - our B&W expert
  3. Sticking to a single brand brings in an harmony which cannot be achieved that easily in case of mix n match. L-C-R from same brand is a must because you can afford to do so.
  4. You definitely need to up your budget on AVR. Generally medium level AVRs have better components. Many say Marantz is musical. If you check with the dealers, you are likely to get a steal of a deal on SR7011 which is out of market or SR6012. Denon X3400/ X4300 should also come within 1-1.1L (assuming you are able to allocate more to AVR after reducing budget from FS)
  5. Since you like warm sound, did you try auditioning wharfedales. If you like sound signature, please reach out hifimart as they have priced WD aggressively and are great VFM. If you also approach them for AVR, I am sure you can get a good deal.
  6. Many swear by 2 SW setup as it is faster and integrates better (easier to setup). If real estate allows, why not 2 SW of brand other than B&W? This might help you scrape some budget for acoustic treatment as well.
  7. Amazon link scared me. Do you intend to get from Amazon? pls don't as warranty is void if bought from unauthorized seller.
Finally, if you are unsure about the mix of components, find an excuse to back out. Please do not rush with the project without a clear and satisfied shopping plan as the budget is huge.

To add to what others have recommended, I would say PLEASE DO NOT HURRY!!!! It is the worst thing one does when getting into audio.
I agree with others that mixing front channels will not provide you with seamless sound integration. If 4 Lacs is your budget, look at top of the line Yamaha or Marantz AVR's.
WHat sounds good at a dealer need not be the case when you set it up at home. Also look at what amplification the dealers do with any given set of speakers because you get some other amp it might not deliver the same performance.
Finally...DO NOT HURRY!!!! Audition, audition audition.

Well said Tuff.....what sounds great at a Dealers place will not necessary sound the same at one's own home due to a variety of factors like furniture, room dynamics etc

Yes, do not hurry. Else there is a good chance of landing up with something you don't like.
Audition a few setups. At your budget you should ask for home demo.

I stick by what I said about having matched front centers and ideally even surrounds. You cannot match different brands well especially if the speakers have decent resolution. There are too many factors that no avr can compensate for like tonality which is a function of cone material, crossover, cabinet design, speed of the driver, dispersion of the speaker, etc. If you have experienced proper sound field from a properly setup home theater you will understand the importance of this. The sound has to move seamlessly. Not from one speaker to another. You shouldn't be able to tell which spesker is making the sound. The reason I stressed on this is because your budget is 4L not 1L and for that you should get something you deserve. I would still avoid the pv1 sub. You can get a decent rel or equivalent sub in 1L with a bigger driver. The sub will sound less stressed. Go and demo atleast 5 or 6 different setups to understand what you really like and experience is the best teacher.

@turntablist

Take some time out and decide for yourself......you should audition and make up your mind to what pleases you in terms of performance, appearance and budget...most of us have changed systems and learnt through trial and error....not many of us are professionally qualified for HT systems but we trust our instincts and experience.

@Ravindra Desai is a well known member on our forum who through his valuable insights and sharing has revealed how an ideal HT system should be...please read his posts and reach out to him for guidance....

See what pleases you and take the plunge...the only thing is....given the large budget you have, spend it wisely......

The most expensive component B&W PV1D is really expensive (170K FFS). How can i get it for a little bit cheaper (with warranty)
Have you heard B&W PV1D? I have and wasn't impressed at all.
Its pretty overpriced, other than eye catching design its really not worth in my opinion, kindly reconsider your sub choice ; you can get better Subs from Rel / SVS Pb Ultra in that price range.
Please audition all options; better, with this budget, insist for Home Audition and you'd get more clear idea.

@turntablist
I agreee to @audiopro views.You should not go for mix and match setups. 4lac is a major investment.
Have you auditioned NAD/PSB combo or Anthem/Paradigm?They offer models within 4l range and are very good.

It also gives you the best of HT and music ,for the price..
Do negotiate hard with the Dealers ,for discount..

PLEA
Have you heard B&W PV1D? I have and wasn't impressed at all.
Its pretty overpriced, other than eye catching design its really not worth in my opinion, kindly reconsider your sub choice ; you can get better Subs from Rel / SVS Pb Ultra in that price range.
Please audition all options; better, with this budget, insist for Home Audition and you'd get more clear idea.
Thank you for this. I probably will reconsider this. go for SVS SB-2000. but my heart really wants to go for a reallt different subwoofer. Something like the Paradigm millenia one sub or the seismic 110. BTW, where did you get a chance to audition the PV1D and what were the shortcomings?

Thank you all. This discussion has given me much and much needed clarity on my setup. Might have to rethink the center channel and the sub. But my heart is set on the T3 + already bought it :)

Now, the main contention is the AVR. As music is my priority, should i go for a 9 channel amp to bi amp my front L/R?

How is the Marantz 6012? Looks really good but I am concerned about the price (please advise the best price) and longevity issues (gets pretty hot)plus no chromecast and some people say that yamaha amp is for music lovers. Please advise because a total AVR n00b here

Last edited:
Great pointers from our FMs and I will add my 2 cents as well.

I see you mentioned you are going to set this up in your bedroom. When you are ready to put in 4L work of equipment in there, you defenitly need to spend a decent chunk on room acoustics so the system sounds well. I am not sure how big is the room and its dimension - but dont overlook this aspect. A grand system can sound very dull in a poorly treated room and I have experienced this first hand personally.

Again since its a Bedroom HT, you can very well opt for Stand mounters with a good matching Sub in the leagues of SVS. In fact the SVS prime bookshelves and SVS sub would do really well. For AVR, I suggest you go upto the 3 series of Denon to get more bang for the buck. I have the 2400H and its a great AVR but you can always go up a notch given your budget.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back