US Models (110V) in India (230V) - Has anyone tried?

anm

Hi,
Has anyone tried a US make 110V model of receiver or amplifier in India?
What kind/ brand of step down transformer works well?
Will the 50Htz power supply in India make any difference as the US power supply is 60Htz.
Finally, has anyone tried purchasing/ shipping such heavy equipment from the US ?
What kind of shipping have you paid?
I am particularly interested in Harman Kardon.

Hello,

1) You need a step down Transformer from 220/230 - 120. If its a US / Canada make, it will be rated 120V. Look for dual rated AVR's / Amp's that work both at 220 / 110-120 if possible. This will avoid the need for a step down. Best solution.

2) Most of the run of the mill Transformers sold in India will be 110V here. Their rating may not be suitable to use with your AVR / Amp. You need to watch for your output wattage on the stepdown. More often than not, they might not be enough to meet the requirement of your AVR/Amp.

3) Read posts from Venkat CR from past, in this forum. He wrote an excellent article about power ratings... Will clear most of your doubts.

4) You could bring in US$ 500 woth of stuff free of Tax, if you stayed for X days out of India. Not sure if this is a week or more. Any thing over US $ 500 is taxable. If you are lucky, you could get away with out paying any tax at all. I got away.;)

Cheers
Krish

Thanks for your response. How heavy was the product and how did you get around with the shipping cost?
Can you pls send the link for the article? Will try searching as well.

regards

Hello,

1) You need a step down Transformer from 220/230 - 120. If its a US / Canada make, it will be rated 120V. Look for dual rated AVR's / Amp's that work both at 220 / 110-120 if possible. This will avoid the need for a step down. Best solution.

2) Most of the run of the mill Transformers sold in India will be 110V here. Their rating may not be suitable to use with your AVR / Amp. You need to watch for your output wattage on the stepdown. More often than not, they might not be enough to meet the requirement of your AVR/Amp.

3) Read posts from Venkat CR from past, in this forum. He wrote an excellent article about power ratings... Will clear most of your doubts.

4) You could bring in US$ 500 woth of stuff free of Tax, if you stayed for X days out of India. Not sure if this is a week or more. Any thing over US $ 500 is taxable. If you are lucky, you could get away with out paying any tax at all. I got away.;)

Cheers
Krish

Hi,

I forgot to mention. I brought it along with me during my travel. It weighed about 13KG's.

In my opinion, the pain of ordering it via Mail is far more than paying the difference and buying in India. Considering it goes thru shipping and Customs in your absence. If you like to try the mail shipping route, my recommendation is try Fedex. In my past dealing to get stuff from US / Canada, had far less headaches because of them.

Another option if you could consider...try going to Dubai / Singapore and getting it yourself, if you are able to.

Cheers
Krish

Hello,

Cheers
Krish

@ Krish,
In case the value exceeds $500, then is the duty payable only on the difference amount or the full amount?

Hi anm, i am using my 110 volt vintage 2 channel amps using stepdown converter (1kva) without any problem, which was procured locally at Bengaluru. My friend is also using a 110 volt yamaha HTR 5.1 setup through a stepdown coverter (5kva) for almost 8 years.

I bought my 15kg pioneer amp through eBay, shipping may be little bit expensive (USPS). Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anil

Hi,
Has anyone tried a US make 110V model of receiver or amplifier in India?
What kind/ brand of step down transformer works well?
Will the 50Htz power supply in India make any difference as the US power supply is 60Htz.
Finally, has anyone tried purchasing/ shipping such heavy equipment from the US ?
What kind of shipping have you paid?
I am particularly interested in Harman Kardon.

how expensive would the shipping be? Can you share some numbers?
What is a converter? is it different than a step down transformer?

regards

Hi anm, for 15 kg's shipping through USPS with insurance costed me $175. Fed Ex & UPS charges $ 350 for 15kg parcel, very expensive.
Shops here in Bengaluru calls it a converter, it's nothing but a transformer :D

Regards,
Anil

how expensive would the shipping be? Can you share some numbers?
What is a converter? is it different than a step down transformer?

regards

I bought a 110v Denon 2803 receiver from U.S. on ebay. I had it shipped to India by regular post (Surface) which cost me US$60 and took close to 2 months, then I had to go down to the Foreign Post Office and have it cleared( I didn't get charged any customs)

The receiver itself works perfectly with a hefty step down transormer.

Having done that 3 years ago, I wouldn't try to do that again as it's not worth the headache.

I did buy a squeezebox on ebay recently, had to pay Rs. 800 in customs and US$ 35 for USPS Economy, which took close to 2 weeks to reach home.

USPS dropped economy surface international mail since 14 may 2007, I got my Yamaha CA 810 amp (14 kg) through economy mail for $70 in Aug 2007,took 3 months & came DOA (does not work)

India

USPS - Send International Packages

I bought a 110v Denon 2803 receiver from U.S. on ebay. I had it shipped to India by regular post (Surface) which cost me US$60 and took close to 2 months, then I had to go down to the Foreign Post Office and have it cleared( I didn't get charged any customs)

The receiver itself works perfectly with a hefty step down transormer.

Having done that 3 years ago, I wouldn't try to do that again as it's not worth the headache.

I did buy a squeezebox on ebay recently, had to pay Rs. 800 in customs and US$ 35 for USPS Economy, which took close to 2 weeks to reach home.

I must say I admire the guts you guys had/have of shipping expensive electronics by post and UPS. I would never take the risk. I have always carried my electronics with me on the flight. Even then, when these things are checked -in I have nightmares throught then flight as to its condition when I finally arrive in India.

Airlines and courier companies do not understand the word 'Fragile' at all.

After my experience with Onkyo AVR, I have decided to buy all the my expensive equipment in India. The additional cost is well worth the peace of mind. The only items I will buy from abroad are those that cost less than 500$ and something I will not hesitate to throw away after two years.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back