US Plasma question, re PAL-NTSC

GeorgeO

A nephew relocating from the US wants rto know if a PAL-NTSC converter unit is required for a large LCD unit that he plans to bring to India. or will it work straight out of the box.If a converter is needed, where can one get it cheaper/easier-there or here, and what might it cost?

Thanks in advance

check the tv spec, if it supports 1080i 50hz, then it will work here
i also heard one of the hd dth has a 1080i60 option, not sure which one or if that option still there,

converters hard to get here, better try in usa itself. i read here that,some converters affect image quality

that (input power)is not an issue(stepdown tfr will do ), i was talking about video standard and converters

Last edited:
A friend of mine brought along his 40" LCD when he relocated. He cannot use the TV here for watching TV. He can only use it to watch his BDs on PS3 and use it as a monitor for laptop.

So yes. A converter is required. The converter will definitely affect video quality. On the whole it is not worth bring in a US TV in India. The affiliated costs (step-down transformer, video converter, etc.) plus the loss of video quality, makes the whole affair totally tasteless.

George, if your cousin uses an AVR in-between, there would be no issues as it can take in PAL/NTSC and output either PAL or NTSC.

Cheers

George, if your cousin uses an AVR in-between, there would be no issues as it can take in PAL/NTSC and output either PAL or NTSC.

Cheers

Venkat - do all (or majority) of AVR's has this feature? Any particular models you recommend?
Also - how do I find out, what is it called in spec sheet?

Thanks.

Thanks Venkat. This is going to be used for Dish tv viewing as well as using a media player. So for TV viewing are you suggesting that one connect the set top box to the AVR and then from there to the TV?

Thanks

Thanks Venkat. This is going to be used for Dish tv viewing as well as using a media player. So for TV viewing are you suggesting that one connect the set top box to the AVR and then from there to the TV?
Thanks

Yes. That way the AVR will convert the incoming PAL signal to NTSC that the TV will understand.

Cheers

Venkat - do all (or majority) of AVR's has this feature? Any particular models you recommend?

I am not sure. In the Denon (1911), Yamaha (667) and Onkyo (608) it is available in the mid range AVRs upwards.

Also - how do I find out, what is it called in spec sheet?

This is called video conversion and may not be mentioned in the spec sheet. Read the manual.

Cheers

namaskara george,

the best solution is to buy an atlona hd 520 or 560 converter, which will cost around 150 $.

cheers,

Hey guys..my question is a lil off track.. i bought my sony lcd tv frm thiland. but after reaching here i found that the model is not available in india. thought the tv is working fine till now but if ever in future should i need any assistance or repair will the sony be able to provide that. the tv does not have international warranty..

Thanks Yejumanre

namaskara george,

the best solution is to buy an atlona hd 520 or 560 converter, which will cost around 150 $.

cheers,

Namaskara George Uncle, inadvertently I missed typing Uncle. I am sorry Uncle. Pardon me.

with kind regards,

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back