USB cable solved

bornfi

Those who have seen my thread on Ethernet isolation removing copper from the chain by replacing it by fiber optic, since the time I got benefited by this, have been eying on hybrid USB cables where data lines use fiber optics instead of copper wire. I tried the one today and yes, my apprehensions were true. The performance is at next level now. System is sounding more clean and focussed. Below is what I got.

This is another example where I can openly offer to get shot at chest in case you try this kind of cable and do not hear difference :).

Those who use USB on DAC, please do not ignore because when you try you might even feel that you changed your DAC. Yes, impact is that great. This is the first product where I am posting within 30 mins after trying the product :).

Last edited:
I have been eyeing this cable after Keith told me about such cables.. The only issue was the 10 feet length. However your experience after using it means I must have one now. They don't seem to ship to India so will try and get it through UK..
But thanks a ton for sharing this as the whole ethernet thing was way above my level.
Does this cable give the same sonic benefit as your whole Dante ethernet setup?

I have been eyeing this cable after Keith told me about such cables.. The only issue was the 10 feet length. However your experience after using it means I must have one now. They don't seem to ship to India so will try and get it through UK..
But thanks a ton for sharing this as the whole ethernet thing was way above my level.
Does this cable give the same sonic benefit as your whole Dante ethernet setup?
Yes, it is as if that soundstage is more liberated from speakers. Things sound more organized.

Does it better the detail extraction? That's my parameter for any increase in SQ increase...
Yes, but I would say that details are already extracted and there but since they are not focussed, we find it hard to perceive. This cable would help focussing various artifacts in the soundstage.

Last edited:
Interesting. These cables have converters built-in to convert electrical pulses at input and light sources at the output side. Without a dedicated clock, I wonder how jitter is managed. These cables are basically made to transmit digital data over long distances with minimal loss and nil interference.
In theory and technical stand point, these cables are a wrong choise for audio transmission.

n theory and technical stand point, these cables are a wrong choise for audio transmission.
I am not sure I followed your concern but all I can repeat is that it will be a mistake for those who use usb on their DAC, do not explore this category of cables.

If both my pc and dac supports toslink/optical, how is this different?
DACs sound different depending on the the input you use so, up to you, if your Dac has usb in and you like to try, can try this else can ignore.

To add to what bornfi mentioned, I have found the bass very heavy while using optical out from streamer to DAC, but very nice via USB. Tried, blue rigger, Amazon basics, Monoprice, QED optical cables, same results. Bass to heavy.

Yet to do a proper comparision with coax out from streamer. Personally to my ears, I am very happy with USB......as of now atleast. Using the stock USB cable which came with the DAC.

It could be due to the way my setup is or the gear involved.

I am not sure I followed your concern but all I can repeat is that it will be a mistake for those who use usb on their DAC, do not explore this category of cables.
I was not discouraging anyone from trying as it is not an expensive route.
But fiber optic cables are not simple and straight forward.
At the source, the electrical signal is converted to optical signal and carried across the fiber optic USB cable and at the other end it is converted back from optical to electrical signal before leaving the cable.
This means there is jitter, time shift and buffer which needs to be tackled for a smooth transition within the cable.

Those who have seen my thread on Ethernet isolation removing copper from the chain by replacing it by fiber optic, since the time I got benefited by this, have been eying on hybrid USB cables where data lines use fiber optics instead of copper wire. I tried the one today and yes, my apprehensions were true. The performance is at next level now. System is sounding more clean and focussed. Below is what I got.

This is another example where I can openly offer to get shot at chest in case you try this kind of cable and do not hear difference :).

Those who use USB on DAC, please do not ignore because when you try you might even feel that you changed your DAC. Yes, impact is that great. This is the first product where I am posting within 30 mins after trying the product :).
Hey, good to see you find improvements with this cable. Just a few questions:
- Would you say this performs better than a good USB cable from makers such as Curious Cable, Phasure, DH Labs, etc. deploying copper inside?
- Wasnt this intended for folks who needed to make digital signal travel via usb over long distances and hence the optic fibre comes to aid? If my required cable length is sub 1meter, does it help going to such cables?

I am exploring different USB cables (USB A-B) for my DAC and intrigued to hear what you have to say about my queries.

Cheers
Kartick

- Would you say this performs better than a good USB cable from makers such as Curious Cable, Phasure, DH Labs, etc. deploying copper inside?
- Wasnt this intended for folks who needed to make digital signal travel via usb over long distances and hence the optic fibre comes to aid? If my required cable length is sub 1meter, does it help going to such cables?

I am exploring different USB cables (USB A-B) for my DAC and intrigued to hear what you have to say about my queries.

Cheers
Kartick
I haven't tried ultra expensive USB cables; the best I tried was TotalDAC's USB cable and yes, it is better.

What piqued my interest on this was that signal through fiber are not prone contamination caused by EMI (and probably RFI) and since I had success with replacing my copper Ethernet cables by fiber, I tried this too. And as anticipated, it did change experience for better. I think fiber is the key. I myself am using a 10 ft cable so, yes, go ahead and do not get bothered about length as long as cable is an active fiber cable.

Last edited:

Cheers
Kartick
Hi, pls do share which usb cable you get. In the same boat now. The one mentioned in the OP is not available here.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back