USB Connection options for DAC

vinodkumarpr

Planning for iFi Audio Zen DAC (https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/beginner-audiophile-amps-dacs/products/ifi-audio-zen-dac)

Can you please help with some options for connecting to a MacBook/iPhone? (MacBook - Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, iPhone - Lightening)
Put in another way, what are best ways to get digital output from MacBook and iPhone in general?

Some options after searching.

Option #1
Cable: USB-C to USB-A (Female):-

USB-A to USB-B:-

Or
Which is rather very expensive considering the DAC price.

Option #2

USB-C to USB-B (3.0):-

For iphone you may try apple’s lightning to usb adapter but that is also expensive.

Does it makes any sense to convert USB to optical and then input to DAC?
I never said that. Please read my post.
I said not to use USB at all.
Use optical(or coaxial ) out wherever possible (MacBook has optical out ).

Also , as another FM pointed out regarding limitation of optical to 24/96, can you really hear any difference between 24-96 and 24-192 ?

I never said that. Please read my post.
I said not to use USB at all.
Use optical(or coaxial ) out wherever possible (MacBook has optical out ).

Also , as another FM pointed out regarding limitation of optical to 24/96, can you really hear any difference between 24-96 and 24-192 ?
you misunderstood my post, my bad.
What i wanted to ask was, "is it better to convert USB to optical and then connect to DAC, instead of directly connecting USB.
I haven't got my DAC in hand yet, and i have a aptxHD BT receiver which can out optical currently connected to amp inbuilt DAC.
I am currently exploring ways to give input to DAC, then i came across this post. Hence my doubt

What i wanted to ask was, "is it better to convert USB to optical and then connect to DAC, instead of directly connecting USB.
I haven't got my DAC in hand yet, and i have a aptxHD BT receiver which can out optical currently connected to amp inbuilt DAC.
I am currently exploring ways to give input to DAC, then i came across this post. Hence my doubt
You’ve got opportunity to test this yourself now :)
Play your flacs from laptop using USB connection through your new DAC.

Play the same songs through your BT receiver which should be connected via optical out to that same DAC using any streaming service ( preferably Spotify or Apple Music or Tidal ) and see if you can feel the difference in quality. This should sound much better.

Yes it is surprising because in first case you are playing Flacs and second case you are streaming lossy files. But because of poor USB implementation in entry level DACs second options yields better sound.

You will get many threads on this USB issue if you search.

The best though a slightly more expensive option is to use a DDC like a Gustard U16 to convert USB to Coaxial/Optical/AES to go into the DAC. Big difference in SQ over direct USB.

Because usb implementation is very poor in most entry level to mid priced (60-70k) DACs.
You’ll get better SQ through Coaxial or Optical.
Problem with S/PDIF is that it makes the source the "master," forcing the DAC to chase its timing. This means that if the source S/PDIF signal is not very clean, it can impact target DAC performance. Fortunately over the years S/PDIF interface has been perfected a lot and even in low cost implementation it can be excellent.
Still, there is no reason to have this antiquated architecture. Using asynchronous mode USB, the DAC can set the cadence using a high-performance clock and force the source, in this case a computer or streamer, to follow it.

Use USB IF you face humm/noise use toslink.

Toslink has an unparalleled advantage over USB. It cuts off any noise/hum that may be a big problem in some PCs. I faced that after upgrading my GPU (Nvidia GTX1650 Super). Moving to toslink fixed it 100%. Although I am now on 24/92000 and the "master" now is my sound card.
No noticeable diff in overall SQ :)

I suspect that the Mac will not output Digital Data to the DAC unless you use an Apple Lightning To USB Camera Adapter Cable (Rs 2,900). :eek:

Apple embeds a chip in this adapter and the iPhone will output data ONLY when it 'handshakes' with the chip.

(For Rs 2,900 you can get a Cheap Mobile Phone !).

Its due to such restrictive practices by Apple that I abandoned the platform years ago....

I suspect that the Mac will not output Digital Data to the DAC unless you use an Apple Lightning To USB Camera Adapter Cable (Rs 2,900). :eek:

Apple embeds a chip in this adapter and the iPhone will output data ONLY when it 'handshakes' with the chip.

(For Rs 2,900 you can get a Cheap Mobile Phone !).

Its due to such restrictive practices by Apple that I abandoned the platform years ago....
I learnt from others and never spent anything on them except a few shuffles.

Hello,
If your DAC supports ethernet interface, that is definitely worth trying out. Assuming that your MAC is also a music server, all you need to do is connect your MAC to your router using a good ethernet cable and then connect your DAC to the same router using another good ethernet cable. There are ample music renderer software available on IOS/Andriod platform to provide you with music manager/streaming functionality. I use Audirvana software to render music to my Bricasti DAC from a MAC Mini which is my music server.
If ethernet is not an option then I would use the USB option on MAC using a USB-C to USB-A converter. In that option you have to use a software called bit-perfect which will circumvent the default music processing of the apple operating system. This is a very important step which will allow you to get an untampered digital output from MAC to your DAC resulting the best
audio performance. The bit-perfect software is a very cheap software widely available on the net.
I wouldn't use the Toslink/Coaxial output from MAC.
Thsnks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back