USB Dac or Sound card for laptop

Rem

Guys,

Sr members need your help in this one.

I need a USB based external sound card. I have gone through various threads in this forum regarding the sound cards. Mostly they where about Xonar cards.

I would be using this card only for music play back(cplay,foobar) and wont be doing any kind of recording activity( since I saw many usb devices which cater more towards high quality recording needs). I would be using my headphones and in future would use this to connect to my amplifier.I have checked the

EMU 0404
EMU 0202

M-Audio MobilePre USB
M-Audio Transit

Which one would be the best choice as far as sq is concerned, is there any huge difference btwn the sq of 0404 & 0202 to justify the price difference.

Or do you guys have any other suggestions I would be getting this(whatever the choice is) from the US and the budget would be around $200 lesser the better.

Magma & thevo recently were looking for a SC what did you guys finalise that thread came to an abrupt end.

Cranky your inputs also requested.( have already bought a ltr bottle of waxsol as per your suggestion):D, on a more serious note I would really like your inputs on this.

Other sr members also pls chip in with your suggestions

rem,am proposing to tackle the same issue with an external usb dac(on its way).budget needs to be looked at first.am sure better informed members can give u more clarity on the subject.cheers

Out of the options that you are thinking of, the E-MU 0404 USB takes the cake. It uses the same DAC as the Squeezebox Transporter! Yes, the DAC alone is not the determining factor of course.

The 0404 USB also reportedly has an advanced clock structure leading to reduced jitter as compared to internal sound cards.

The sound quality that this DAC produces is often said to be laidback, yet warm. There is a long thread on this DAC at Computeraudiophile.

EMU or Keces or Blue Circle Thingee or Bel Canto DACs are good options. I was not too impressed with CA DAC Magic but others might have different take on it.

tc 7510 doesnt have usb i think
youll have to go for the TC 7520 which is about 160 pounds

if you can get a keces or emu used it should be better
there are lots of used Emu 404's on sale if you search and are willing to take the chance from the US

Sorry for the late reply I was not able to check hfv since yesterday afternoon :sad:

Thanks Rallynut,Thevo,Cranky, Mars, Magma, Spiro for all the replies that you have send. I would be reading as much abt the products you hva mentioned.

Beresford 7510 I dont thk has USB support. Moreover I dont like that guys attitude so do not in anyway contribute to his profits. :p , this guy even tried to have multiple ID's in other forums and tried to push his product :clapping:

Among the rest I need to read abt the Keces which Cranky has mentioned and also the ones Mars & Magma has mentioned.

I would also like your opinions on the Musical Fidelity V-Dac which is also available for arnd $180,

Musical Fidelity

In the mean while lemme read up on all the products that you guys have mentioned.

Hi folks, I am torn between a new cdp and SC/DAC for connecting my amp thro' my laptop and i'm confused about the best way to go for my stereo setup. I have a creative xfi USB for now. Is this EMU 0404 available in India and the cost? and will it be vastly superior to creative xfi.Sorry for posting so many questions.

Sorry for one more question? what is the difference betwen usb sound card and usb dac?

Last edited:
if youre gonna use the laptop
usb soundcard is the correct path to take
the emu 404 or a keces should be ideal

the emu 404 usb not availble in india yet.
ive just hread of some PCI cards not the usb dac

May be you can try these...

Fubar IV Plus (192 kHz Upsampling DAC / Headphone Amp)

iBasso D10 Cobra - High performance Stereo DAC and Headphone Amp

If these fits your needs and falls into your budget then they make a fine choice. They are fairly small, portable and makes music listening on transit or during work a bliss!

Last edited:
@rem,im getting the KECES DA151 Mk2.in fact there was a discussion previously and seein cranky's opinion on the keces spoke volumes.after researching the choice was between the musical fidelity v-dac/keces/pico.altogether very encouraging speak about the keces,price,build qlty and signature wise,and i feel it will gel well in my setup.cost me 280$ incl shipping.plus the seller,david wei,is a great guy to deal with.was shipped by EMS but has run into some idiotic postal appraisal/customs problem.being sorted out as of now and expect to see it soon.cheers

@rem,im getting the KECES DA151 Mk2.in fact there was a discussion previously and seein cranky's opinion on the keces spoke volumes.after researching the choice was between the musical fidelity v-dac/keces/pico.altogether very encouraging speak about the keces,price,build qlty and signature wise,and i feel it will gel well in my setup.cost me 280$ incl shipping.plus the seller,david wei,is a great guy to deal with.was shipped by EMS but has run into some idiotic postal appraisal/customs problem.being sorted out as of now and expect to see it soon.cheers

Congratulations rallynut. Do post your impressions when you get it.

@all,just got a call from home saying that the KECES DA151 mk2 has finally reached home :yahoo:!!a month and 10 days of waiting too might i add,all because it was stuck in the postal appraisal dept/customs for 95% of that time :mad:.nows the sucky bit,i currently work in the maldives and i need to get back home to just be able to touch it :rolleyes:!!they say patience is a virtue,but dont really see myself as being the virtuous sort right now!ha ha!!will keep fellow members posted asap.cheers

@all,just got a call from home saying that the KECES DA151 mk2 has finally reached home :yahoo:!!a month and 10 days of waiting too might i add,all because it was stuck in the postal appraisal dept/customs for 95% of that time :mad:.nows the sucky bit,i currently work in the maldives and i need to get back home to just be able to touch it :rolleyes:!!they say patience is a virtue,but dont really see myself as being the virtuous sort right now!ha ha!!will keep fellow members posted asap.cheers

Congrats, bro! :clapping: Oh so you are back in the maldives?
Next time, you get something, deliver to my address:p, I will give you first impressions even when you are abroad. You wont have to do run in/burn in!:lol:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back