USB HDD, is it a good deal?

Arent both the same link actually? Can you confirm whether you've not made a mistake in posting the links?

Why not segate? It has 5 years warentee and sleeker thaT WD
I bought @ 5350 around 5-6 wks backfrm lamington road mumbai - earlier week price aws around 5250.

dimensions are
Height (max) 175 mm (6,89 inches)
Width (max) 33.7 mm (1.33 inches)
Length (max) 172 mm (6.77 inches)
Weight (typical) 1000 grams (2.2 pounds)

the hdd u r looking at needs external power supply.... wd is already out with a new 1tb hdd with usb power

Why not segate? It has 5 years warentee and sleeker thaT WD
I bought @ 5350 around 5-6 wks backfrm lamington road mumbai - earlier week price aws around 5250.

dimensions are
Height (max) 175 mm (6,89 inches)
Width (max) 33.7 mm (1.33 inches)
Length (max) 172 mm (6.77 inches)
Weight (typical) 1000 grams (2.2 pounds)

Which model? Pl suggest something around 5K. Another link actually was of seagate.

yes same segate in the link -i ot it for 5350
another 2 year warentee version is available @ 200-400 rs lower
IMHO is it better to go for 5 yr warentee with marginal addition

the hdd u r looking at needs external power supply.... wd is already out with a new 1tb hdd with usb power

Note that the lesser the wattage draw, the cooler (and longer life) the device has. USB 2.0 is capable of 2.5W power and I have seen drives consume about 1.8W peak. So go for USB if everything else is the same.

yes same segate in the link -i ot it for 5350
another 2 year warentee version is available @ 200-400 rs lower
IMHO is it better to go for 5 yr warentee with marginal addition

I will agree with Hemant here. I'm using Seagate for so many years and their service and warranty is excellent. Even when I "fried" a 320 GB HDD they replaced it no questions asked.

I am assuming that this is for WDTV - if that is the case, getting the WD would be a better option. Also WD has pick-up warranty clause i.e. they'd pick up the product from your home when you want to RMA it.

Most USB powered drives have around 3 yrs warranty. And since it is USB powered it would be a breeze to move it between the WDTV and the PC. Just imagine doing the same with a regular powered HDD.

I am assuming that this is for WDTV - if that is the case, getting the WD would be a better option. Also WD has pick-up warranty clause i.e. they'd pick up the product from your home when you want to RMA it.

Most USB powered drives have around 3 yrs warranty. And since it is USB powered it would be a breeze to move it between the WDTV and the PC. Just imagine doing the same with a regular powered HDD.

I was planning for wdtv. But, I am searching a good deal for xtreamer now. Otherwise I will go for wdtv.
pl suggest me a good USB powered ex-HDD. <5.5K

Last edited:
You'd get WD at less than 5.5K from Lamington road or some dealer in other forums. Also, if you happen to be an ebay member and if you happen to get coupons, use them and you'd get it for around 5K from ebay (like i did :))

Is Seagate USB powered? Model NO.?

All companies will have external HDDs with power adapter and powered via USB too. Not much difference between both in terms of performance but the USB powered ones will be 2.5" (laptop HDDs) and be more expensive in comparison.

Seagate 500 GB USB Powered is around Rs. 5500.
Seagate 500 GB with external power adapter is around Rs. 3800.
Seagate 1 TB with external power adapter is around Rs. 5500.

Prices were when I checked last, might have changed by a bit so check them. Not too sure if Seagate has a 1 TB USB powered external HDD. I will update if I come across the price, please do check from your side too.

Yogesg WD USB powered is approx 250US$ - that to the picture I saw without casing
So it will be costing ( at exact conversion ) 12500+ Do you want to stretch your 5 K budget so much??:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back