Using a 110 volt A/V reciever with 220 volt power supply

Hi,

I got my Pioneer 1123K from US yesterday. So I had already purchased an Isolation step-down transformer from Vishal in S P Road (750 watt). Price was 3,800. So before plugging it in I thought of doing some experiments with it. I turned it on and kept it running for 1 hour. Was impressed as there was no humming noise. Then checked the output and it was surprisingly 120V. I was upset as I was expecting the output to be 110 V. The Voltage kept on fluctuating between 115V at night to 120V during the day.
Now I checked the input voltage and there was the problem. Somehow we are being supplied input of 230-240 V in India I guess. This should be solved by a stabilizer no issues I guess.
When I opened my PIONEER, somehow the voltage rating on its back says 120V, 60Hz. Really Surprising. Now, I am confused.... Shall I plug it into the transformer directly so that atleast 115-120V is supplied or through a stabilizer where-in only 110V will be supplied. Really confused and don't want to risk plugging in my Pioneer yet to the power. Nervous as I know Pioneer's are really sensitive to power supply.

Binay

I'm not sure about pioneer. But there will be voltage fluctuations of abt +-10 volts.. I'm guessing that is common. You can try the stabilizer option though. My transformer also has the same issue but my onkyo works perfectly fine without a problem.

Hi,

I got my Pioneer 1123K from US yesterday. So I had already purchased an Isolation step-down transformer from Vishal in S P Road (750 watt). Price was 3,800. So before plugging it in I thought of doing some experiments with it. I turned it on and kept it running for 1 hour. Was impressed as there was no humming noise. Then checked the output and it was surprisingly 120V. I was upset as I was expecting the output to be 110 V. The Voltage kept on fluctuating between 115V at night to 120V during the day.
Now I checked the input voltage and there was the problem. Somehow we are being supplied input of 230-240 V in India I guess. This should be solved by a stabilizer no issues I guess.
When I opened my PIONEER, somehow the voltage rating on its back says 120V, 60Hz. Really Surprising. Now, I am confused.... Shall I plug it into the transformer directly so that atleast 115-120V is supplied or through a stabilizer where-in only 110V will be supplied. Really confused and don't want to risk plugging in my Pioneer yet to the power. Nervous as I know Pioneer's are really sensitive to power supply.

Binay

I'd be rather hesitant to use a garden variety stabilizer to condition the input voltage. If your budget permits, get a servo stabilizer. An online sine wave UPS is also a good, though perhaps a bit of an expensive option for clean power.

Another option is to connect an over-voltage cutoff device (something like this: Sollatek TVGuard Voltage Stabilizer - Sollatek: Flipkart.com ) in the input to your voltage converter. This device will cutoff supply above a particular voltage. See this thread for more info http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...help-issue-voltage-fluctuation-bangalore.html

Having said all that, I've been running quite a bit of 110V electronics for awhile without a servo stabilizer or any other stabilizer. Just Mains ==> Sine wave inverter ==> 220-110V converter ==> 110V equipment. Maybe I've been lucky with the power, but to be a bit on the safe side, I've introduced a voltage cutoff into the chain.

I imported a Denon AVR a few years ago, and have been using it with Energy Speakers (5.1 setup). Since it was from the US and uses 110v, I was using a large capacity voltage converter (those voltage stabilizer looking things - I don't remember the rating). Now I need to use the converter elsewhere for another device that draws a lot of wattage. What can I use for converting the voltage for my home theater now?

Any recommendations on where I can get a suitable one in Delhi?

How does the frequency affect the system ?

I have seen many step down units to provide 110/120 V from the 220 V supply available in the market. I wonder what happens to the 50Hz. Does it also get changed to 60Hz ? What are the ill-effects if it doesn't happen after step-down, in amps/receivers/digital sources ?

frequency (Hz) is impotent to moving equipments like motors. for hi fi not much effect.
just enjoy.

Hello all,
My first post here.
After going through this thread and others on this site, I can safely import an av receiver from the US and run it with a step down transformer.

My query is whether common winding transformer is sufficient or isolated is required.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
My first post here.
After going through this thread and others on this site, I can safely import an av receiver from the US and run it with a step down transformer.

My query is whether common winding transformer is sufficient or isolated is required.
Thanks

I first used an auto-transformer stepdown and then an isolation transformer stepdown. No problems with either other than a bit of hum on the auto-transformer (not sure if the hum was just on that brand only). There are pros' and cons to each type, see https://www.gstransformers.com/tech...lation-transformers-and-autotransformers.html Isolation transformers are more expensive, though.

I first used an auto-transformer stepdown and then an isolation transformer stepdown. No problems with either other than a bit of hum on the auto-transformer (not sure if the hum was just on that brand only). There are pros' and cons to each type, see https://www.gstransformers.com/tech...lation-transformers-and-autotransformers.html Isolation transformers are more expensive, though.
Thanks for the link and your reply.
Not worried on a voltage spike, more on any possible line distortion/noise due to common winding

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back