Using a 110 volt A/V reciever with 220 volt power supply

@Navin: Thank you for the detailed explanation. I did manage to open up the receiver upon your advice. Now, I can see the primary transformer like you pointed in your reply above. So,should I try opening the H.C.P.S thing in the image below & check for the no:eek:f windings? Or do they have the number of windings printed on the transformer label itself?

Also, did you try this out with your AV receiver before? I am not skeptical, but thought I can bug you more if you did it yourself& it will give me more confidence that I can try this on my receiver too.

ioq4b5.jpg

rqy838.jpg

I bought the Onkyo-NR515 from the US for 300USD [Rs.15000]. In here, it costs about ~Rs.35000and above. So, I was wondering if I made a right choice buying it in the US.

I bought Onkyo 616 from us for 360$. Torrentkid i am also having the power issue. now i dont know how to use it ans scared to connect. Naveen where are from?

Last edited:

It seems that Onkyo does not use a dual primary transformer for their HCPS (see the side with the brown and white wires). Sadly you will not be able to convert this transformer to 220V. There should be 4 terminals on the priamary side (see link below) to be able to convert 110V to 220V.
http://www.6c33.com/Toroidal.jpg

Onkyo AVRs (from the 818 to the 5010) are made in Malaysia and it seems like they stock seperate transformers for US/JP markets and EU/Asia markets.

Last edited:
Hi- I just bought a Denon 4310 A/V receiver from USA and will be using it in India. Although I bought this piece from US mainly for price difference but now I am very nervous hooking up this expensive unit without a proper voltage step down process. I need the advice of folks who have done similar stuff before. Here are my questions -

1. This reciver is rated at 110 volt and 8.1 Amps. So its roughly 1000 watts. Will a step down transformer with 1500 watts rating will work or I should go with a 2000 watts transformer?
2. Someone in this forum earlier said that its better to go with isolation transformer. Isolation transformer costs almost twice as much as regular ones. Can someone guide me whether isolation transformer is a must or nice to have?
3. Would you recommend that I use this step down transformer along with a voltage stablizer? If so, a voltage stablizer with 1000 watts rating will do or I need to buy as big a stablizer as the transformer?
4. Would you recommend that I should add a power conditioner(to filter out AC line noise) along with the step down transformer? Or it's not necessary.
5. Can someone recommend a good brand/shop to buy quality step down transformer in Hyderabad?

na. u dont really need an isolation transformer for consumer electronics. u only need an isolation transformer for precision electronic equipment .
i have been using all kinds of electronic and electrical goods brought from the usa for the past 25years with regular good stepdown transformers and i havent had a single failure. i use delta transformers bought from modern electronics in koti near bombay halwa sweet shop in bank street.

so dont waste money on isolation transformers. if ur supply has fluctuations use a good stabilizer for all ur equipment. what i do is to use an electronic wide range stabilizer capable of serving all my equipment. from this i connect a power strip for all 220volt equipment. to the same stabilizer i connect the delta stepdown transformer and connect another power strip to it and connect all my 110volt equipment to it.
as a matter of fact i just got the onkyo txnr414 avr bought on ebay from the usa 4 days back and installed it in my living room ht setup. here i have the connections as described above. 1 digital stabilizer of 2kva rating supplying the following 230volt equipmet - 50inch panasonic plasma tv, lg dvd player, wd live tv media player, 500gb seagate hard drive, airtel hd dvr and polk audio sub. and a delta tranformer is also connected to the stablzr and a belkin power strip (bought here only) connected to the delta. the power strip feeds the following 110 voltage products- the onkyo avr, a panasonic 3d bluray player and a crssley antique look vinyl player cum cd player cum cassette player cum am/fm radio.
and everything works flawlessly.

na. u dont really need an isolation transformer for consumer electronics. u only need an isolation transformer for precision electronic equipment .
i have been using all kinds of electronic and electrical goods brought from the usa for the past 25years with regular good stepdown transformers and i havent had a single failure. i use delta transformers bought from modern electronics in koti near bombay halwa sweet shop in bank street.

so dont waste money on isolation transformers. if ur supply has fluctuations use a good stabilizer for all ur equipment. what i do is to use an electronic wide range stabilizer capable of serving all my equipment. from this i connect a power strip for all 220volt equipment. to the same stabilizer i connect the delta stepdown transformer and connect another power strip to it and connect all my 110volt equipment to it.
as a matter of fact i just got the onkyo txnr414 avr bought on ebay from the usa 4 days back and installed it in my living room ht setup. here i have the connections as described above. 1 digital stabilizer of 2kva rating supplying the following 230volt equipmet - 50inch panasonic plasma tv, lg dvd player, wd live tv media player, 500gb seagate hard drive, airtel hd dvr and polk audio sub. and a delta tranformer is also connected to the stablzr and a belkin power strip (bought here only) connected to the delta. the power strip feeds the following 110 voltage products- the onkyo avr, a panasonic 3d bluray player and a crssley antique look vinyl player cum cd player cum cassette player cum am/fm radio.
and everything works flawlessly.

In this current setup you have, if you would like to add a power conditioner and and UPS/Inverter , Where would that be ?

I bought denon avr 1513 from usa. Having power issues with it in india. Device turns on and turns off automatically. So I'm afraid to connect it. Is the transformer really required to av receiver. I have ps3 bought in usa and have no problems for 5 years now. Why so different for receiver.

The PS3 might have a universal voltage or maybe you are just plain lucky...please check the manual or as Koushik described above the back of the amp...if 110-115V then please buy a step down transformer and if voltage issues in your area, thena servo stabilizer as well...

Plz suggest where I could get step down transformer in hyderabad

Mahesh Electronics and Sanghvi Electronics, both in TROOP Bazar, Koti are the dealers of Maxine(Shah Electronics, Chennai) brand. I bought mine from Mahesh Electronics, they are on the first left on the bank street after the State bank. Sanghvi also in the same lane, just a little up into the lane and right.

EDIT: torrentkid is correct, its not TROOP Bazar, its called Gujarati Galli.

Last edited:
Imported PS3 picks up 220v but gets super-heated if you notice. I don't think its built for 220V. Other appliances might just not work that way.

In Hyd, they call it the Gujarati Galli. There they sell these step-down transformers.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I have connected denon av receiver directly once. praying to see no damage to any internal parts. I'm more worried as there is no denon service available in hyderabad.

Will update after I get the step down transformer

I connected it before I posted here. It just started and got shutdown. Will not connect again until i get the transformer

Can I buy a single transformer with bigger wattage for both denon receiver and ps3. Any idea about how much wattage is sufficient

What about the maxine brand transformer which are found in eBay

Maxine 2000w has 2 output options 110volts and 120 volts.

Others just have 1 single output option

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back