Using a 110 volt A/V reciever with 220 volt power supply

Yeah both are fine.. Won't be a problem I guess. How much did he quote? I have some local band s.h max.. Costed about 1500 I think

Yes. Will go there tomorrow. And see if I could get anything at cheap price.

Problem is I need to carry my av receiver with me to check whether it's working or not. Hope it was not damaged when I connected directly. More afraid about it than buying transformer

Last edited:
Don't try to save money by buying unknown brands of transformers.
The problems which can not be checked unless you have the proper equipment are transformer humming on full load ( cannot be heard in a noisy shop),efficiency and the worst,the possibility of getting 220 v passed through in case of a burn out for non isolation transformers.

I have a Mx electronics transformer - works well but makes a loud noise when switching which must be the relay noise - I am ok with this as this is only starting noise. Maxine has been recommended by many members in this forum.

Mine is Max Converter.. It's working well.. But you never know one of the pieces may be faulty. Do check it and check the guarantee warranty too.

Max 1000w converter 2200/- final price 2000/- with 6 months warranty

Maxine 1000w is 3300/- final price 3200/-
With 1 year replacement guarantee.

I bought maxine after lot of thought.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out a lot with real valuable suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi,
In Hyderabad you could try visiting the Koti Area where there is an MX brand dealer. His prices are quite reasonable and the quality of his products are also good. He deals with cables, splitters, transformers, and many other electrical equipment. The shop is located in the famous" Gujrati Galli" and I am sure anyone will guide you to that shop. It is well known in that area.

I got a step-down transformer free along with my purchase of an imported AVR. It seems to work okay, but it's got a constant hum.

Do all step-down transformers have the same problem?

Will enclosing it in a wooden box reduce the noise significantly? And will keeping it in a completely closed wooden box increase the risk of fire damage/overheating?

I got a step-down transformer free along with my purchase of an imported AVR. It seems to work okay, but it's got a constant hum.

Do all step-down transformers have the same problem?

Will enclosing it in a wooden box reduce the noise significantly? And will keeping it in a completely closed wooden box increase the risk of fire damage/overheating?

I use maxine transformer. No sound at all. Better keep the transformer with atleast ventilation

Max 1000w converter 2200/- final price 2000/- with 6 months warranty

Maxine 1000w is 3300/- final price 3200/-
With 1 year replacement guarantee.

I bought maxine after lot of thought.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out a lot with real valuable suggestions.

I'm going to buy one too. Decided not to risk my equipment with a converter that hums constantly.

Could you tell me if that's the price including shipping or just the base price?

I bought it at the dealer in Koti, Hyderabad.

Online price would be more I guess. I remember 1000w maxine in ebay is 4500/-.

Find a store in your city

I bought it at the dealer in Koti, Hyderabad.

Online price would be more I guess. I remember 1000w maxine in ebay is 4500/-.

Find a store in your city

I know...shipping really adds to the cost. Plus ebay's always a bit more expensive.

But, I live in Pune and if I want to order a Maxine, I think ebay'll be the only way to get one.
BUT...when I checked a few minutes back, Maxine had no items for sale on ebay!

Another question. I've got a Pioneer VSX 523 AVR, and it's power consumption is listed as 415W. Do I need to get a 1000W transformer, or will a 500 or 750W one suffice. I will not be using any other appliances along with this.

I've got a 1KVa UPS, and I'd like to connect my AVR (with the transformer), 32"LED TV(50W), and HTPC (80-120W) to it. Is that possible, or is connecting a voltage converter to a UPS a bad idea?

Talk to Mr.Shah in Chennai, he will ship one to you directly, and its not always true that shipping adds to the cost. For me, here in Hyderabad, I got a 3kv from Shah directly for a little less than what the dealer in Hyd was quoting. I wouldn't buy from ebay, buy direct.

750w should be enough and of course you can connect it to a UPS. I think these step down transformers are rated at >0.9 power factor, so to be on safe side consider 750w step down can really support 675w without any hiccups. I have mine connected to an online UPS.

I would suggest speak to Mr.Shah, explain your requirements go with his recommendations. Just for peace of mind, ask him if you could connect the step down to an UPS. I assume yours is an online UPS too.

**I have two 3kva Maxine step downs and a happy customer since more than an year now **

Turns out Maxine has an agency in Mumbai, Sky King. I'm picking up the 750w one from them @ Rs.2300.

btw..my UPS isn't online, it's line interactive with AVR.

hi all,
i am new to this thread and am considering of buying a receiver and 5.1 speakers to go with it. I have shortlisted the yamaha rx v475 and the energy take classic 5.1 system. Now here is the problem im planning to get this from us so obviously the voltage is 120 v 60 hz , and the energy take classic is 10 v 60 hz at 1A and im not sure about the yamaha's voltage and freq although i assume it would be same but im not sure about the current the output wattage is listed as 575 watts. So my question is what is the the wattage of the stepdown transformed i should get, will a 1500 watt step down transformer be enough to power both or could you please let me know if there are any other alternatives
thanks in advance
sujith

I got the Maxine transformer and I'm very pleased with it. It's completely silent. No hum, no buzz...nothing. Just a red light to let me know it's on.
Haven't connected it to the UPS yet though. Don't think I'll risk connecting it to a line interactive UPS.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back