Using Paypal in India

anm

Hi,
1. Has anyone created a paypal account here?
2. How did you transfer funds?
3. I do not have a credit card, is it safe to add a debit card on paypal?
4. If I use a debit card, the max someone can get out of my account is my daily limit I assume? ( I think I shall ask this to my bank as well)
5. Have you done any international transaction using paypal?
6. have you done an Indian transaction using paypal?
7. Do you feel secure with paypal?

regards

Last edited:
Hi,

I have, about 3 years back.

The amount paid is reflected on your next Credit card bill. The currency is converted to Rs. as per existing rates.

Preferably add a credit card with low credit limit. I have 2 cards (the higher credit limit for offline purchases & low limit for online purchases like paypal)

4. If I use a debit card, the max someone can get out of my account is my daily limit I assume? ( I think I shall ask this to my bank as well)

Avoid Debit card. Atleast credit card fraud can be insured.

Yes through Ebay & other secure sites

No

Yes. Touch wood, about 10 international transactions & no problem at all. Latest was my Oppo 981H from the UK paid through Paypal.

regards

Hi,

regards

1. Yes I have one
2. By email or online (for rapidshare payment - now i have stopped it)
3. Yes you can use a debit card - credit card with a small credit amount is good
4. If someone uses the credit/debit card details - you can bring it to Paypals notice - shipping address is usually same as billing address unless mentioned otherwise. They can revert any charges that were not borne by you. Its "realtively' safe. Only problem is if you transfer money through email to wrong email account - paypal cannot help.
5. Yes (for online) - am in doubt for the iobox 100HD/popcorn hour because i have still not made up my mind between HTPC and NMT
6. No
7. Relatively safe - a lot of my colleagues use it and there have beem no problems till now.

Hi anm,
Yes

Not done so far

Credit card is a must to create a paypal account. Paypal do not accept debit card [they accept debit card from for US residents only]
Yes, i must have bought 30 items so far.

No
Yes, you are secured with paypal. Most safest way to pay online.

Regards,
Anil

Hi,

regards

Yes.

Lots of options. To your PayPal A/C from Credit Card. From your PayPal A/C they will send a check or transfer to your Bank A/C.

Nothing online is 100% safe, but I've not had any issues so far either.

That's correct, but more importantly you can set a limit on your PayPal A/C beyond which it will be declined.

Yeah lots of them. In fact I prefer it over my Credit Card since I've set a limit on my PayPal A/C and would prefer not giving my Credit Card details.

None so far. Not even aware of any Indian vendors accepting PayPal, but I then I don't shop in Ebay and other such sites.

Yes, more than using my Credit Card online. Otherwise like I said no mode of online payment is 100% secure.

Hope this helps...

u cant transact immediately after adding card.
while adding credit card 1st time paypal will deduct 1.7$ (later refunded)or so .. to verify the card..the deduction is marked by a 4 -digit trasaction number in your card statement..

you need to fill this number, to complete the card verification ...

- so keep paypal ready if you are participating in any ebay bidding :)

ebay.com (not the indian site,where most bids are fake)bidding one attractive option to shop for tiny hifi components ..

Ans : Yes i am using paypal from past 3-4 yrs.
Ans : I have linked my credit card with the same, and just need to put in my login id and password in the dealers payment link, that you get once you click on the make payment wizard on any online dealer linked with paypal, and its done...
Ans : No Paypal doesnt entertain debit cards, but yes recently the S.Asia website of paypal, has tied up with banks like ICICI, HDFC and all, and link your account directly...
4. If I use a debit card, the max someone can get out of my account is my
daily limit I assume? ( I think I shall ask this to my bank as well)
Ans. Yes your maximum limit is 25000 with 95% of the savings banks a accounts. And if you loose your login id and password, the only thing tht can save you is the mobile message and your bank call center (if you report within 4-8hrs of the transaction max.
Ans : Yes i have purchased a lot of things (mainly subscriptions for the online games, as i am fond of those..)
Ans : I have done once with ebay (if i remember it right), though i got the stuff, but tht was my last transaction with them, as they are the most bullshits one to buy stuff from, specially, electronics and gifts...
Ans : As of now with my transations, i have never experienced anything, just the thing is my father who checks my statement, asks me everytime for the paypal or other online transactions, and tells me nt to waste money on things like this...:p

So if I choose debit card as an option through payal - do these details get exposed to the end seller? Or does he just get money in his own paypal account?

regards

4. If someone uses the credit/debit card details - you can bring it to Paypals notice - shipping address is usually same as billing address unless mentioned otherwise. They can revert any charges that were not borne by you. Its "realtively' safe. Only problem is if you transfer money through email to wrong email account - paypal cannot help.

So if I choose debit card as an option through payal - do these details get exposed to the end seller? Or does he just get money in his own paypal account?

regards

No your details will never be exposed...

Like you the seller will have a business account, with them, and will be remmitted the amount through online transfer or cheque, if his account credit balance is $500+ with a small fee, and $5000+ for free for big accounts...

Hi,

I have, about 3 years back.

The amount paid is reflected on your next Credit card bill. The currency is converted to Rs. as per existing rates.

Preferably add a credit card with low credit limit. I have 2 cards (the higher credit limit for offline purchases & low limit for online purchases like paypal)

Avoid Debit card. Atleast credit card fraud can be insured.

Yes through Ebay & other secure sites

No

Yes. Touch wood, about 10 international transactions & no problem at all. Latest was my Oppo 981H from the UK paid through Paypal.

regards

Hi saikat 74'

i have just paid madisound for their kits via credit card, and they have shipped the kits (subwoofer and else - weight = 36 pounds)
however the cochin customs have informed me that it is an offence to import, though i thought i just need to pay the required customs duty.

so, when you got your oppo 981H from uk, did a friend get it for you, or was it directly shipped?

regards suri

It is definitely not an offence to import electronics goods for personal use... They have no business in stopping your goods, and no you need not intimate them before placing an order. You will however have to pay customs duty based on the value of the goods. This value is decided by the customs dept. and may or may not coincide with the value on the invoice.

The oppo I got from the UK (CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts) was directly shipped to me in Mumbai. The postman called me in the morning, confirmed the amount, address, took an appointment, and arrived dot on time. I was mighty impressed. I paid the duty in cash, he gave me a receipt.... and we all lived happily ever after.

It is definitely not an offence to import electronics goods for personal use... They have no business in stopping your goods, and no you need not intimate them before placing an order. You will however have to pay customs duty based on the value of the goods. This value is decided by the customs dept. and may or may not coincide with the value on the invoice.

The oppo I got from the UK (CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts) was directly shipped to me in Mumbai. The postman called me in the morning, confirmed the amount, address, took an appointment, and arrived dot on time. I was mighty impressed. I paid the duty in cash, he gave me a receipt.... and we all lived happily ever after.

Hi saikat74,
thanks for the info

i hope i am as lucky - on the 14th of this month! touch wood!
regards
suri

Hi,

regards

1. Yes, I have pay pal account.
2. Funds not transferred. But I paid for subscriptions
3. I think only credit cards accepted. I am not sure
4. You can set limit
5. Yes
6. No
7. Very secure

Can you let us know what was the customs duty amount?

u cant transact immediately after adding card.
while adding credit card 1st time paypal will deduct 1.7$ (later refunded)or so .. to verify the card..the deduction is marked by a 4 -digit trasaction number in your card statement..

you need to fill this number, to complete the card verification ...

- so keep paypal ready if you are participating in any ebay bidding :)

ebay.com (not the indian site,where most bids are fake)bidding one attractive option to shop for tiny hifi components ..

I have registerd a credit card with paypal and got it verified to...now whenever i go to make payments via email to someone i get an error saying i dont have sufficent funds:sad:...even though i can make payments on websites via paypal, i cant pay through my own paypal account:lol: and the credit card is the same...can you help?:rolleyes:

I have registerd a credit card with paypal and got it verified to...now whenever i go to make payments via email to someone i get an error saying i dont have sufficent funds:sad:...even though i can make payments on websites via paypal, i cant pay through my own paypal account:lol: and the credit card is the same...can you help?:rolleyes:

You will need to transfer some funds to PayPal and also set a limit on your Credit Card.

If you are sure that your CC had sufficient funds at that time, try again. if it still does not work, contact PayPal with your problem.

You need NOT have any funds in your PayPal account to make this transaction.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back