Utterly Confused - What 5.1 Home Theatre to buy?

neceron

Hi All

I am utterly confused on what 5.1 Home Theatre System to buy for my wife. Its 1 day to valentines and I am no closer to a decision, so I thought I will post here for your help

1. The Location : Its for the Bedroom. its a 18 x 11 bedroom with a 32 inch Series 5 Samsung LCD screen (Full HD). The distance between the TV and my head is about 8 feet.

2. What it will be used for? - Movies and Sitcoms with a bit of Cable TV ( I have a set top box). Most of the movies we watch are pirated. Most sitcoms are in DivX format but quite some are legit

3. Budget-- 30,000 to 40,000

4. What I need to buy in the budget 5.1 speakers ( restricted to 5.1 as wiring is concealed for 5.1) a AV reciever and a DVD Player ( I wanted
a Upscaling one but now i am not sure)

So what is the advise of the wise men of the forum?

I will also appreciate inputs in the shape of a dealer / shop that is not looking to rip me off. People have quoted me 3 times the prices mentioned here for the same equipment right down to the model number. So please help !!

Home Theater for your wife? I think buying gold jewelry or something of that sort would be much better. Perhaps a holiday to Goa for a week? Unless of course she has her heart set on a HTS. If that's the case I will let others give better suggestions since I can only think of HTIBs in that budget. Not sure you would get an AVR and 5.1 speaker system in 30-40K...

I agree that da budget is low but I am trying to see if its possible cause I am brokeback mountain right now where finances are concerned

Take a look at Yamaha and Onkyo HTIBs. Start from 20K and go till 40K or so. You can mix and match the Onkyo with ELAC speakers, but budget might be a bit more than the 40K. Even Philips HTIBs are quite popular on this forum, but not my personal preference though.

Till recently, big outlets like eZone and Reliance Digital had been running offers for Jamo 5.0 speakers + Onkyo/Sherwood AVR at the price range you are looking for....this or a Onkyo HTIB would probably be your best bet.

Try onkyo TXSR304 .I got this model from EZONE along with full 5.1 setup for 30000/- only.Very good budget model with great sound capabilities.
As far as DVD player is concerned u can take any player. Upscaling may not help u as ur TV is 32 inch only . For upscaling u need TV of minimum of 40 inches . if u still want to go for upscaling playr i will recommand pio610/pio410/phillips 5996.
Pio got good looks as well as great playback capabilities but it will cost u ~6000-6500 and phillips ~4800

Seeing that its past Valentines and assuming your wife is holding onto you since you have not indicated that you purchased a system. I suggest to trim your budget and look at a HTiB. The Onkyo and Philps are some decent ones. The Onkyo is a better deal as you get an AVR that you could add your own components such as a DVD player etc. Most other HTiBs are closed units and do not offer upgrade options.

PS. You should consider yourself lucky to have a wife who initiates and encourages a HT buy. Many folks aren't.

Hi All

I am utterly confused on what 5.1 Home Theatre System to buy for my wife. Its 1 day to valentines and I am no closer to a decision, so I thought I will post here for your help

1. The Location : Its for the Bedroom. its a 18 x 11 bedroom with a 32 inch Series 5 Samsung LCD screen (Full HD). The distance between the TV and my head is about 8 feet.

2. What it will be used for? - Movies and Sitcoms with a bit of Cable TV ( I have a set top box). Most of the movies we watch are pirated. Most sitcoms are in DivX format but quite some are legit

3. Budget-- 30,000 to 40,000

4. What I need to buy in the budget 5.1 speakers ( restricted to 5.1 as wiring is concealed for 5.1) a AV reciever and a DVD Player ( I wanted
a Upscaling one but now i am not sure)

So what is the advise of the wise men of the forum?

I will also appreciate inputs in the shape of a dealer / shop that is not looking to rip me off. People have quoted me 3 times the prices mentioned here for the same equipment right down to the model number. So please help !!

Hi,

Onkyo - with BS spk HTS 5100-its 7.1 with active sub.45k in croma.
with tower spk 304(its basic avr without HDMI)

Denon- newcomer DHT-390(may be 45k)

yamaha has many options.

DVDp -3.5k LGDV388 ,6.6k pio 610 both have upscalers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back