Vacuum Record cleaning machine - suggestion please

I agree. I keep a 2nd TT with a less expensive MM cart on which I play my scuffed up, crackly chor bazaar LP's. For me, the desire for a RCM is to maintain my LP's which are already in good condition. Since I live right by the sea with heavy sea breeze, if I don't play an LP for even a few months it begins to get signs of mould and dirt and dust. For LP's that are already damaged in the groove, no amount of cleaning will help.

@Issigonis,
Just googled about Hannl RCMs.
Man, they are too high priced.
Their top of the line 'Aragon' costs $2999, next in line 'Mera' costs $1999 and the lower end model 'Micro' costs $1399.
Obviously they look superb and will draw attention of the visitors. But they can not be thought of in my budget.

>>>
Do check the Hannl Mera EL. I think Jochen is considering this as an offering. He will check out the Hannl when he travels to Germany. I think the Hannl range starts from Euro 900.
Regards

Just bringing this thread back up. I have pretty much decided that my next big purchase will be a RCM. I want to go in for an automatic one, or even a semi-auto one, but I would prefer all auto.

If any of you guys have bought RCM's (not spin clean or equivalent) in India, can you tell me which brand and how much it cost? Okki Nokki looks great, but I have no idea how much it would cost including customs, etc. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Tek

Why don't you take a couple of your scruffiest records to Nova Audio at Mahim and check out their VPI cleaner? 50 bucks per record plus new plastic inner sleeve. IMO, it works very well. The proof is in the 25+ classical (used) records I have picked from them in the last 1 month. Absolutely clean and pristine.

Thanks for the suggestion, will def do that with a few records..

I am pretty sure I will need to invest in one, as I have hundreds of records that need cleaning. Any indication on what kind of prices one would pay in India to get a good automatic/semi automatic RCM?

Thanks

Got a quote of 80k for the Nitty Gritty... that is very expensive. Would be it cheaper to import a RCM myself?

Got a quote of 80k for the Nitty Gritty... that is very expensive. Would be it cheaper to import a RCM myself?

Have you tried to get quote of Okki Nokki? I think at Singapore theyse may be available at around 30-35K INR.

Hi Amit, any idea where to find out the prices from Singapore. Also, what is best way to get it shipped here with customs, taxes, etc?

After a bit of snooping around, I think a good price for Okki Nokki might be on ebay.de. It may be better to buy directly from Germany for this one? Its about 400 Euro, plus 40 Euro shipping. Assuming customs would be 30% it should come to around Rs 40k to get this shipped to me... does that sound about right? Am i missing anything ?

Edit : Turns out there is an Okki Nokki dealer in Bangkok, and I am going there in a few days anyways for some work! I called the shop, and apparently it is for about $580. That's not too bad, and would be a cheaper option than having it shipped.. i can just carry this myself. Now the question is.. what to do about customs? Just take it through the green channel? Has anyone brought stuff like this back with them.. how to navigate the airport? If you pay duty, how much would it be?

Last edited:
Duty is paid on value in excess of free allowance which is Rs 25,000. So I guess you would be paying duty on about Rs 7,500/- (580*56-25000) which @30% should be less than Rs. 2,500. If there are two of you returning together then your combine duty free allowance will be Rs. 50K...enough to cover the import.

Or else you could walk through the green channel and if stopped ..I am quite sure they would have no idea of what a record cleaning machine is...(they had a very vague idea of what a Turntable is and how much might it be valued at, when I was stopped while bringing in my Technics turntable)

Cheers

Thanks Viraj. However, since the 2012 March Budget, I believe the amount for free allowance has been increased to Rs 35,000. Hope the custom officials at the airport know that much :p

Or else you could walk through the green channel and if stopped ..I am quite sure they would have no idea of what a record cleaning machine is...(they had a very vague idea of what a Turntable is and how much might it be valued at, when I was stopped while bringing in my Technics turntable)

Cheers

>>>

virajsingh,

I am interested in knowing how you managed to bring in an old ( presumably) Technics turntable. Duties paid et. al.

Regards
issigonis

So, while I was in Bangkok I managed to pick up the Okki Nokki RCM !! I paid 16,000 Baht, which comes to about Rs 29,000. Not a bad price IMO. I got it in white colour. The dealer also threw in an extra bottle of cleaning solution, plus 2 extra cleanin arms for 7" and 10" records!! In fact, I think this price may even be cheaper than US. Unfortunately I didn't get the optional dust cover.. I hope I dont regret that!!

I got it through customs without too much trouble. They made me open the box and they had no idea what it was! The bill was hand written so they tried to create an issue, but they let me go finally without taking any money :D

Tomorrow I will set it up and do my first clean! Now, only question is to decide which record to clean first!! :D

Congrats Tek, the Okki Nokki is a good RCM and very convenient. I bought a few records in Singapore (some new and some pre-owned) and got them cleaned at a shop offering the service for $2 each using an Okki Nokki. It is on my 'to buy' list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, while I was in Bangkok I managed to pick up the Okki Nokki RCM !! I paid 16,000 Baht, which comes to about Rs 29,000. Not a bad price IMO. I got it in white colour. The dealer also threw in an extra bottle of cleaning solution, plus 2 extra cleanin arms for 7" and 10" records!! In fact, I think this price may even be cheaper than US. Unfortunately I didn't get the optional dust cover.. I hope I dont regret that!!

I got it through customs without too much trouble. They made me open the box and they had no idea what it was! The bill was hand written so they tried to create an issue, but they let me go finally without taking any money :D

Tomorrow I will set it up and do my first clean! Now, only question is to decide which record to clean first!! :D

Congrats Tek. It has good reviews. Please post your impression once you put it in use.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back