Vaio is back!

VRavichandar

Dang! My favourite laptop brand is back - Flipkart teaser is out.
A Vaio bought in 2009 was very sleek, with a sharp and very bright display and served me well as my biz laptop for 5 years and then as my default HTPC/media player for about another 4 years. Had to replace it as it did not support HD Audio! But the sound and picture quality were way ahead of competitors at that time and gave stiff competition to the apple laptops. Was sad to see Sony exit the laptop market due to some battery issues in 2014 and a failed attempt to penetrate the budget and low cost segment. Sony sold the vaio brand to Japanese investors.

Based on a news item, the new vaio is not manufactured by Sony anymore. Hong Kong-based Nexsto Company has signed a license agreement with the Japanese corporation and is reviving the Vaio brand in India. The company already sells Avita laptops in India and global markets. Vaio laptops are manufactured and sold in Macau, Middle East, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan by the Nexsto Company. The laptops will be available for booking and purchase on e-commerce platform Flipkart starting from January 15. They are positioning it as a faster and lighter laptop based on the ad. Hope this brand is revived and succeeds!

6d9e03f2bfd4a97f.jpg

Joy turned to dismay - seems the Avita laptops have been a failure with many users complaining about hardware failures within the warranty period. Poor service to boot. Flipkart seems to be advertising well known brand names from the past and present to just boost its biz!

2 variants each of Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 & intel i5 with prices ranging from 50k for amd to 63k for intel. These processors are the equivalent of intel 8th gen - that is outdated - not the premium vaio products of past!

My first laptop was a Sony Vaio back in 2012, by 2014 it had converted into Lenovo Yoga model with only 2 angles possible (0 degrees or 180 degrees) :)
I still have vaio and in running condition. But it can't be folded :D , many of the keys are not working.

My first laptop was a Sony Vaio back in 2012, by 2014 it had converted into Lenovo Yoga model with only 2 angles possible (0 degrees or 180 degrees) :)
My first three laptops were bought by the company I worked for - IBM Thinkpad, Toshiba (Peacock blue coloured!) and a Fujitsu (loved this one - it was sleek and powerful!). First personal laptop was a vaio. Later I also switched to a Lenovo ideapad - tiltable to 180 deg. Now again on a Lenovo Legion y-540 tiltable to 180 deg. Vaio had the best screen and performed very well for my needs. Lenovo is at best a compromise!

Our office had a Viao laptop years ago. The screen was fantastic with excellent viewing angles and build quality but was quite pricey for that time.
Hope the new launch can match that.

I bought one with i5 processor in 2010 and it worked till 2019 even after a lot of heavy gaming. The display was very good with Bravia engine but the cd drive stopped working within 1-2 years. And some of my friends complained that their vaio laptops had hard disk issue.

I bought one with i5 processor in 2010 and it worked till 2019 even after a lot of heavy gaming. The display was very good with Bravia engine but the cd drive stopped working within 1-2 years. And some of my friends complained that their vaio laptops had hard disk issue.
yes, my hdd went bad within 1.5 years just after warranty finishes. Also the top panel ( kb area) replaced within warranty because it was loosen, such a bad quality. Won't trust Sony for laptop. But I will take my old vaio to their new service centers :D

My actual electronic hardware was intact till I gave it away, was using it along with a monitor for majority of the times. Despite the hinges being completely broken and screen front panel being dislodged the display still worked somehow with a thin piece of cable.

I can relate to that! 5 years of professional use and nearly 4 years as HTPC/Media player.

My actual electronic hardware was intact till I gave it away, was using it along with a monitor for majority of the times. Despite the hinges being completely broken and screen front panel being dislodged the display still worked somehow with a thin piece of cable.
That is the best part - motherboard, processor, ram, ports and bright and unbeatable display still worked after years of abuse! Had even about 60% of battery life as long as it was in continuous use. Hinges, keyboard. cd drives gone! Drive (250 or 320 gb - dont remember which) was removed to be used in a different younger laptop whose drive failed!

That is the best part - motherboard, processor, ram, ports and bright and unbeatable display still worked after years of abuse! Had even about 60% of battery life as long as it was in continuous use. Hinges, keyboard. cd drives gone! Drive (250 or 320 gb - dont remember which) was removed to be used in a different younger laptop whose drive failed!

Yup I went for it more for the specs rather than the looks. In 2012 was difficult to get a laptop which had a full hd screen, backlit keyboard and a decent GPU. The Vaio came with a 900p screen , backlit keyboard and a decent GPU .

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back