Venkat, what are your sleeping hours?

:)

I usually sleep quite late - around 2 in the morning. I also get up late around 0830. In the evening/night I either watch a movie, read a book or surf the Net.

Cheers

A goody wifey you have for sure ....... :mad:

Mine would have put a bullet through me, if ever attempt to follow the same schedule on a regular basis ....... once a while .. ok.

I usually sleep quite late - around 2 in the morning. I also get up late around 0830. In the evening/night I either watch a movie, read a book or surf the Net.
Cheers

You have lots of time with you. And what you do during day time? Actually managing HFV would itself take 10 hours...

Cheers

What do you do for living, or are you a student???

That's not good for fitness though.

Our body maintains its circadian rythm based on external cues (or zeitgebers, as I just discovered), the most important one being light. However, since we mostly live in the shielded environs of buildings (homes, offices, schools, etc), basing our body clock on sunlight is mainly relevant to people who mostly live and sleep outdoors. It can probably be considered as a dated concept, a relic of the time when we would wake up at the crack of dawn and sleep at sunset. We probably did that to maximize the chances of our survival and our efficiency, mainly because we are primarily visual creatures, and as a result, diurnal (or vice-versa!).

Even if many of us are the outdoorsy type, I argue that sunlight still plays only a minor role today as we still end up using artificial light heavily. With the assumption that we live healthier if we are in lock step with our body clock, I argue that we are today mostly in control of our circadian rythms. Waking up at 5am, breakfast at 6, lunch at 12, dinner at 7, and sleep at 9pm is exactly as healthy as waking up at 9am, breakfast at 10am, lunch at 3pm, dinner at 10pm, and sleep at 1am. In that sense, having an erratic pattern is much more unhealthy than the actual times of our cycle.

sleep debt-the term used to describe the condition that develops when a person does not get the amount of healthful sleep needed for well being- is known to contribute to immune suppresion creating susceptibility to infections. sleep debt has also been linked to diabetes, heart disease and extreme obesity.

Our body maintains its circadian rythm based on external cues (or zeitgebers, as I just discovered), the most important one being light. However, since we mostly live in the shielded environs of buildings (homes, offices, schools, etc), basing our body clock on sunlight is mainly relevant to people who mostly live and sleep outdoors. It can probably be considered as a dated concept, a relic of the time when we would wake up at the crack of dawn and sleep at sunset.

A number of factors evidently combine to create a circadian (daily) rhythm, or wake-sleep pattern. Brain chemistry appears to play a role. Also, there is a nucleus of nerve cells located in the brain that evidently helps control the sleep cycle. This clock is situated close to where the optic nerves come together. Light thus influences how sleepy we feel. Bright light wakes us up, while darkness induces sleep.
The body temperature is also involved. When temperature is highesttypically midmorning and mideveningone is the most alert. As the body temperature drops, one becomes increasingly drowsy.
Researchers agree that the pattern of wakefulness versus sleepiness varies with individuals.

Last edited:
you guys are scaring me!

I sleep at about 2 am , get up at 8:30 and my sleep is disturbed at least 4 times due to phone calls from the ICU. My kids are awake till 1 am. Just can't make them sleep before that. tried a lot:sad:

any way , that's my life. It was my decision to be an intensivist.:eek:

But I have a boon of being able to sleep at any time during day or night(please don't think that I sleep on duty.I mean if I get time, i can make myself asleep any time)

Last edited:
I never thought a discussion on my sleeping pattern would go to two pages! I am touched with the concern you have all shown.

I am one of those guys who takes naps through the day. So I usually end up sleeping 8 hours more in a day. I swim regularly, play an occasional tennis, and go for a complete health check up every January. I don't drink tea, coffee, or liquor. Nor do I smoke. I am pure vegetarian, and my consumption is usually 8 chappathis a day. I drink a lot of milk (remember Phantom?), juices of all kinds, and eat about 500 grams of various dry fruits a month.

Regarding my age and what I do, I am going to keep it a secret. Then only I can moderator you bunch of HFVisioners, right? Of course most of the Chennai guys know me, and to all of them a beeeg SHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Let me say this. I am a very ordinary guy, albeit with a bit of grey matter.

Cheers

Any discussion with names like Venkatcr, Suri, etc (sorry if I miss some important names..) would easily go for more than a page.... :)
nope kksunil...............i dont agree
for the thread "Who is Suri" will go more than that...............:clapping:

Well we can be a student after Marriage as well....or for that matter at any stage of life....:)

I agree sam9s, i was just amused by the question {not in the quote; but your initial post} you put forward and the fact that i had seen VenkatCr in person. I couldnt just stand that view. no pun :):)

cheers

Well sleep is just like a recharge to the body & it should be taken at right time.
This applies to food too(lunch/dinner)

Beauty tip-It can also prevent dark circles under eyes.:D

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back