Venturing in REW + UMIK 1

And this is the waterfall graph... Dont know what the heck is this... ha ha.... i guess the waterfall should be between 100 ms to max 300ms.

But here at 15hz, 30hz and 50hz the waterfall is breaking the bank :)

OK Final Experience....

All the bass responses are very smooth... i dont know much of the sound jargans.. so.. in layman terms...

Earlier, the low rumbling were too much and some times little irritating and there will not be a chest slamming bhams ... but now.. all over response is very smooth and i am not getting any big room rattling irritation.. and the high impact scenes are very good... say Johnwick gunshots... Benghazi fight scenes and Alita robot walking in the road... those are all wow...

Please comment
Wow the waterfall looks superb IMO

All,

Venturing umik for the past 9 months and bought the MiniDSP 2x4 HD couple of weeks back. I am all new to the placement of subs... crossover...Phase etc etc... Thanks to @elangoas @RajithKumar, Raghu... and others helping me understand all the terms :)

So, for the past one week I was working like a crack... to make the curve straight (Ha ha) and I can achieve only this much.. leave it to experts comment. And it was challenging to make the Umik1 work with Rew and Asio4all time to time...(Now at least i know what's the problem and how to resolve it :)

My Room Dimension is 9' W X 18' L X 10' H, this is a master bedroom converted to dedicated HT, so the room has a big wardrobe on one side (Left Side and movement of Sub is little limited. After all the placement combination, found that diagonally opposite placement is the better one.

Here are some graphs i have achieved finally after 2 weeks of work with Umik1, Rew, Asio4All and Mini DSP 2x4 HD.

Front Right Subwoofer (SVS Pb2000)Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement
View attachment 50055
Rear Left Subwoofer (SVS Pb2000) Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement
View attachment 50056
Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement (This big hump at 30hz cannot be reduce any further...)
View attachment 50058

Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Below is after eq and adjustment of eq in Mini DSP 2x4 HD without audessy
View attachment 50059

Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Below is after eq and adjustment of eq in Mini DSP 2x4 HD With Audessy. This is the best i can achieve :)

View attachment 50061

I followed this gentleman video in youtube... He is awesome... and the explanation was detailed.

MiniDSP did such fantastic job for you!!! Thanks for sharing :)
I guess sometimes a peak in very low frequency like 30 hz helps getting that chest thump (which is exciting to me)

Hi Guys, would like to know if Minidsp 2*4 HD can be used with single subwoofer? Just to import corrected EQ file from REW and to apply PEQ from Minidsp where there is uncorrected peaks due to room modes.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, would like to know if Minidsp 2*4 HD can be used with single subwoofer? Just to import corrected EQ file from REW and to apply PEQ from Minidsp where there is uncorrected peaks due to room modes.
Yes it is possible for your purpose,but Minidsp will be more advantageous for multisubs.

Yes it is possible for your purpose,but Minidsp will be more advantageous for multisubs.
Ok. In the case of multi sub's how the connection should be?
1st subwoofer out from AVR -> Minidsp -> 2 subwoofers
(or)
1st & 2nd subwoofer out from AVR -> Minidsp -> 2 subwoofers

Avenue Sound is selling Minidsp 2*4 HD for 20800 including tax & shipping charges. Having compared with other vendors, They are selling at less price.

All,

Venturing umik for the past 9 months and bought the MiniDSP 2x4 HD couple of weeks back. I am all new to the placement of subs... crossover...Phase etc etc... Thanks to @elangoas @RajithKumar, Raghu... and others helping me understand all the terms :)

So, for the past one week I was working like a crack... to make the curve straight (Ha ha) and I can achieve only this much.. leave it to experts comment. And it was challenging to make the Umik1 work with Rew and Asio4all time to time...(Now at least i know what's the problem and how to resolve it :)

My Room Dimension is 9' W X 18' L X 10' H, this is a master bedroom converted to dedicated HT, so the room has a big wardrobe on one side (Left Side and movement of Sub is little limited. After all the placement combination, found that diagonally opposite placement is the better one.

Here are some graphs i have achieved finally after 2 weeks of work with Umik1, Rew, Asio4All and Mini DSP 2x4 HD.

Front Right Subwoofer (SVS Pb2000)Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement
View attachment 50055
Rear Left Subwoofer (SVS Pb2000) Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement
View attachment 50056
Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Pure Direct Mode and Without any Smoothing, just a raw measurement (This big hump at 30hz cannot be reduce any further...)
View attachment 50058

Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Below is after eq and adjustment of eq in Mini DSP 2x4 HD without audessy
View attachment 50059

Dual Subs (SVS Pb2000) Below is after eq and adjustment of eq in Mini DSP 2x4 HD With Audessy. This is the best i can achieve :)

View attachment 50061

I followed this gentleman video in youtube... He is awesome... and the explanation was detailed.

Ordered a MiniDSP 2X4 HD today :)

I will need help and guidance to set it up, youtube video shared is already a great start.

All,

View attachment 50055
View attachment 50056
View attachment 50058

View attachment 50059

View attachment 50061

The last 2 graphs, they say generally Audyssey doesn't boost the frequencies for Sub/s but cut the peaks. In your case it looks like Audyssey added boost at couple of dips. Do you find a noticeable difference with and without Audyssey?

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 2 graphs, they say generally Audyssey doesn't boost the frequencies for Sub/s but cut the peaks. In your case it looks like Audyssey added boost at couple of dips. Do you find a noticeable difference with and without Audyssey?
Audyessy can boost little bit, in my case you can notice its boosted the 70Hz for 3 or 4 db.

With Audyessy the Movie watching is much better than without audyessy (Dy. Eq on and off), Very controlled roll off on low frequencies and chest slamming sounds are much better with Audessy.

Without Audessy and in pure direct the music listening excellent.

Ok let me know if you get good improvements in a single sub with the mini dsp. I am also tempted to get one but need to be sure if for one sub it brings noticeable difference
Yeah sure.
For now I want to try importing corrected EQ file from REW and to apply PEQ from Minidsp where there is uncorrected peaks due to room modes.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back