• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Venturing in REW + UMIK 1

Rega

rrunner

"Hence asking someone who's already gone through the process of comparing before and after of many combinations."
There is no straight answer to your question. However, let me try.
Speaking from my experience It is all about room acoustics and placement. If your room is in a golden ratio( Eg : 10 by 16 feet or 12 by 19 or 14 by 22) then you are in luck. The inbuilt Audyssey program of Marantz should take care of the room audio calibration and it would be at least 90% accurate for movies atleast.
For critical music listening a more thorough analysis of room nodes are required.
I have recently used REW and Equalizer APO software (windows 10 HTPC as source device)to fix my room deficiencies to an ok level, further testing required.

ankitbhargava

Hi i have been going through a few of your posts and looks like you have all sorts of experiments with your setup. Now mine is not that high end, ll soon get the delivery of q3030i fronts, 3090 and 3010 center and rear and 2 atmos ceiling along with bic pl 200ii single sub. Avr is marantz 5015. My question is should i even bother with these kind of tinkering for single sub setup? And what's the most useful and non cumbersome way to optimize this kind of setup without delving into such nitty gritties. Though i can handle the teachnicalities, dont think i ll have the time to do it. Hence asking someone who's already gone through the process of comparing before and after of many combinations.
This covid house arrest gave opportunity to experiment all sorts :)
Investing time in REW would always be plus but if you can't do that, trust your ears and play around with placement of the singe Sub. During this process I even came across people who would say a gain of 5-6 db on certain low frequency helps the slams and thumps but then do you want that or you aim for a balanced low frequency effects is what you would know by placements experiment.

Following basic Audyssey Room correction (or better investing in MultiEQ app), correct speaker placements, good source of content, some acoustic treatment (carpets, panels, traps) and a decent gear would get you 80% to your aim ... the rest 20% is never ending upgrade spree.

soumyajit92

Found this article, seems easy enough to follow. What do you guys think?

soumyajit92

There is no straight answer to your question. However, let me try.
Speaking from my experience It is all about room acoustics and placement. If your room is in a golden ratio( Eg : 10 by 16 feet or 12 by 19 or 14 by 22) then you are in luck. The inbuilt Audyssey program of Marantz should take care of the room audio calibration and it would be at least 90% accurate for movies atleast.
For critical music listening a more thorough analysis of room nodes are required.
I have recently used REW and Equalizer APO software (windows 10 HTPC as source device)to fix my room deficiencies to an ok level, further testing required.
Well my room is 15x25 approx, so that's very close to golden ratio i guess.

ankitbhargava

Found this article, seems easy enough to follow. What do you guys think?
This is good enough to follow

dillihifi

I will try with the bundled Dirac room eq software in the coming days. Got inspired by this thread. The calibration mic is the one came with the receiver lets see how this turns out.

fLUX

Looking forward to hear the results :)

Yup, hopefully get some time soon to try this out. Going through a heavy work phase right now :) Focusing on trying to understand the Umik-1 & REW better before i move to Minidsp 2*4HD setup

fLUX

Hi Guys,

Just needed some feedback, I have 2 exact same subs. Not played around with positions yet and just have level matched the gain (not based on spl , just the gain to start with), run measurements and this is how it looks right now.

Any thoughts here , top green line is the measurement graph, dark blue line is the target curve and the light blue line is the post-eq predicted curve.
1619533310251.png

ankitbhargava

Hi Guys,

Just needed some feedback, I have 2 exact same subs. Not played around with positions yet and just have level matched the gain (not based on spl , just the gain to start with), run measurements and this is how it looks right now.

Any thoughts here , top green line is the measurement graph, dark blue line is the target curve and the light blue line is the post-eq predicted curve.
View attachment 56610
Just to clarify, the green FR curve is for both Subs together?

If yes, could you please first post the FR response curve for both subs individually?

Apparently the target curve may be more hugging the actual one if aimed around 87db, the massive dip between 42-48 hz may still be there if the target curve is aimed around 87db but you shall not lose a lot of output because of PEQ suppressing the entire frequency range.

fLUX

Just to clarify, the green FR curve is for both Subs together?

If yes, could you please first post the FR response curve for both subs individually?

Apparently the target curve may be more hugging the actual one if aimed around 87db, the massive dip between 42-48 hz may still be there if the target curve is aimed around 87db but you shall not lose a lot of output because of PEQ suppressing the entire frequency range.
Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62Hz post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers ) and rest much above the average. This is a combined measurement (without any time-alignment settings, phase changes etc)

1620053565886.png

liverpool_for_life

Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62 post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers )

Very, very decent this. Do you have any way to add delay to one of the two subs?

ankitbhargava

Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62Hz post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers ) and rest much above the average. This is a combined measurement (without any time-alignment settings, phase changes etc)

View attachment 56752
You will need to measure both subs one by one by muting (miniDSP plugin has option to mute)
So first the Sub A and then Sub B and then combined

This may give a better idea of what Subs are doing individually and how they are performing together. Shall also give hints about which sub needs to find a better placement.

fLUX

You will need to measure both subs one by one by muting (miniDSP plugin has option to mute)
So first the Sub A and then Sub B and then combined

This may give a better idea of what Subs are doing individually and how they are performing together. Shall also give hints about which sub needs to find a better placement.

I did that, did not save the measurements to post here though. Overall it sums up well other than in the odd 58-62 region where individually both subs seem fine but they cancel out to some extent resulting in a dip. Let me take step by step measurements and post over this weekend.