Venturing in REW + UMIK 1

Found this article, seems easy enough to follow. What do you guys think?

There is no straight answer to your question. However, let me try.
Speaking from my experience It is all about room acoustics and placement. If your room is in a golden ratio( Eg : 10 by 16 feet or 12 by 19 or 14 by 22) then you are in luck. The inbuilt Audyssey program of Marantz should take care of the room audio calibration and it would be at least 90% accurate for movies atleast.
For critical music listening a more thorough analysis of room nodes are required.
I have recently used REW and Equalizer APO software (windows 10 HTPC as source device)to fix my room deficiencies to an ok level, further testing required.
Well my room is 15x25 approx, so that's very close to golden ratio i guess.

Found this article, seems easy enough to follow. What do you guys think?
This is good enough to follow

I will try with the bundled Dirac room eq software in the coming days. Got inspired by this thread. The calibration mic is the one came with the receiver lets see how this turns out.

Hi Guys,

Just needed some feedback, I have 2 exact same subs. Not played around with positions yet and just have level matched the gain (not based on spl , just the gain to start with), run measurements and this is how it looks right now.

Any thoughts here , top green line is the measurement graph, dark blue line is the target curve and the light blue line is the post-eq predicted curve.
1619533310251.png

Hi Guys,

Just needed some feedback, I have 2 exact same subs. Not played around with positions yet and just have level matched the gain (not based on spl , just the gain to start with), run measurements and this is how it looks right now.

Any thoughts here , top green line is the measurement graph, dark blue line is the target curve and the light blue line is the post-eq predicted curve.
View attachment 56610
Just to clarify, the green FR curve is for both Subs together?

If yes, could you please first post the FR response curve for both subs individually?

Apparently the target curve may be more hugging the actual one if aimed around 87db, the massive dip between 42-48 hz may still be there if the target curve is aimed around 87db but you shall not lose a lot of output because of PEQ suppressing the entire frequency range.

Just to clarify, the green FR curve is for both Subs together?

If yes, could you please first post the FR response curve for both subs individually?

Apparently the target curve may be more hugging the actual one if aimed around 87db, the massive dip between 42-48 hz may still be there if the target curve is aimed around 87db but you shall not lose a lot of output because of PEQ suppressing the entire frequency range.
Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62Hz post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers ) and rest much above the average. This is a combined measurement (without any time-alignment settings, phase changes etc)

1620053565886.png

Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62 post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers )

Very, very decent this. Do you have any way to add delay to one of the two subs?

Dont seem to find the measurements individually, I got a slightly better graph with around 4-5 DB dip at around 58-62Hz post trying out a new sub position for the front subwoofer (its placed at the left corner facing the speakers ) and rest much above the average. This is a combined measurement (without any time-alignment settings, phase changes etc)

View attachment 56752
You will need to measure both subs one by one by muting (miniDSP plugin has option to mute)
So first the Sub A and then Sub B and then combined

This may give a better idea of what Subs are doing individually and how they are performing together. Shall also give hints about which sub needs to find a better placement.

You will need to measure both subs one by one by muting (miniDSP plugin has option to mute)
So first the Sub A and then Sub B and then combined

This may give a better idea of what Subs are doing individually and how they are performing together. Shall also give hints about which sub needs to find a better placement.

I did that, did not save the measurements to post here though. Overall it sums up well other than in the odd 58-62 region where individually both subs seem fine but they cancel out to some extent resulting in a dip. Let me take step by step measurements and post over this weekend.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back