Version of Free HDMI Cable in Philips 3388

tellranga

Friends,
I have shortlisted Philips DVD Player 3388 for 5K which comes with a free HDMI Cable. But I want to know whether this Free HDMI Cable supports 1.3a.
Unfortunately, neither it is written in the DVD Player cover box nor the salesman is aware of it.
I also understand that there is no much difference between an expensive cable & and inexpensive cable. But I beleive what matters most is the HDMI version.
Can any 3388 owner help me to figure out the version, make and feel of PQ & SQ of HDMI cable please ?

many thanks,
ranga.

Last edited:
You are contradicting yourself in many ways. YOu state inferior cable since its unbranded and then go on to observe that cable quality does not imply much difference rather the version it supports.

Anyway, if not clearly specified, you can assume the HDMI isn not v1.3

Also remember how much can a manuf throw in a product that is already priced as low as 5K with boat loads of features.

Re: cable quality - unless you get strange colours or picture jumps, using the one from the box should suffice for most viewing experiences.

Friends,
I have shortlisted Philips DVD Player 3388 for 5K which comes with a free HDMI Cable. But I want to know whether this Free HDMI Cable supports 1.3a.
Unfortunately, neither it is written in the DVD Player cover box nor the salesman is aware of it.
Since the cable is a freebie, there are chances that it can be an inferior cable. But at the same time if the cable is not good, the reputation of DVD player is also in stake. So I am curious to know whether the cable quality is inferior / superior .
I also understand that there is no much difference between an expensive cable & and inexpensive cable. But I beleive what matters most is the HDMI version.
Can any 3388 owner help me to figure out the version, make and feel of PQ & SQ of HDMI cable please ?

many thanks,
ranga.

Between the sub version like HDMI 1.3 and 1.3a there are changes in the manufacturing and testing guidelines,cable makers do follow.. consumers can enjoy same features ,dont worry about the sub version.

DVD players need to send
0.81Gbps data which is pretty basic most hdmi cables handle it well.
edit :

always unplug all connect cables and then power on.. there is a minor chance of damage due sparkling
some people say see pic http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p1i_hxBJIdaqOL_7urb5Dw?feat=directlink

Last edited:
So you will use the HDMI cable for picture alone, so connect the HDMI from your DVDp to you TV and check if you you get 1080p signal, if you do, then you are all set.

So you will use the HDMI cable for picture alone, so connect the HDMI from your DVDp to you TV and check if you you get 1080p signal, if you do, then you are all set.

I have a basic question.

I have a LG PQ60 plasma with HDMI input. When/If I buy a media player, How will sound be transmitted? Is it through HDMI? If not how?

Also How will I connect it to amp given that the TV does not have HDMI out or 5 channel out? Does the media player have 2 HDMI (one for picture and one for sound)?

Does WD TV come with 5.1 out apart from the HDMI out?

I have a basic question.

I have a LG PQ60 plasma with HDMI input. When/If I buy a media player, How will sound be transmitted? Is it through HDMI? If not how?
HDMI cable carries both sound and picture. Again, what kind of sound it carries depends on HDMI version 1.2 carries DTS etc, 1.3 is capcable of carrying DTS HD etc

Also How will I connect it to amp given that the TV does not have HDMI out or 5 channel out? Does the media player have 2 HDMI (one for picture and one for sound)?

You connect the Media PLayer to your AMP and from you amp you use another HDMI to connect to you TV. So you media player sends both audio and video to your amp, the amp processes sound and plays it and just passes the picture to you TV via the HDMI connected to the tv. This also depends if your AVR is capable of HDMI pass through.. Search the forum we discussed about it in detail

Does WD TV come with 5.1 out apart from the HDMI out?

Its comes with HDMI and Optical out. So what I have done is, have connected the HDMI from WD TV directly to my TV, and connected the Optical Out to my HT system. So picture plays directly on TV via HDMI and sound is played in my HT via Optical Cable

hi tellranga,
it is a free cable, so dont expect much. as long as you can view without "MUCH" colour problems, it should be fine.
it might be a ver 1.2 cable. i am saying this based on the fact that the cheap chinese ones we get here in bangalore (around 500-600 bucks for a meter) are all ver 1.2s.

Friends,

many thanks,
ranga.

Since you are not using this cable with a blu ray player or a Media player capable of transmitting HD audio to a capable reciever there is no point looking for specs from a supplied cable, as even if its HDMI complaint ver 1.2 cable then too it would pass full HD video as well as lossy DTS and Dolby to the connected instrument.

You can get MX1.3b HDMI 3mtr cable for Rs.450 only & it is nice too(I got it)

Can you tell me the model no. I bought one MX-2593 for 600 rupees. In fifteen days the metal end came out of the plastic enclosures
The dealer did not accepted its poor quality.

Then I bought a Chinese cable for just 200 Rupees it is better than MX.

Can you tell me the model no.
Then I bought a Chinese cable for just 200 Rupees it is better than MX.

I got MX2692 GP(3mtr)
Dont see pic on web,actual cable is better with 24k gold plated,cable has metal net/mesh around.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back