Very good music (Making Music - John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, Jan Garbarek)

Yes, its a very soothing album.
Especially the track you mentioned is very rhythmic.
It can make anyone dance if they start to enjoy it.
People believe that percussion instrument (Tapatam) has that 'power'.

Unfortunately, in Tamil Nadu where it is widely used, people started playing it only to mourn deaths so it was made appropriate for 'death dance'. :mad:

I bought flac from Laya Project | EarthSync
And then I too became possessed. :p

Decent recording BTW.

Thanks again for bringing this up!

Every time I hear this song "Tapatam" I get goosebumps like I am having now! The cross over sound @ 4:20 is something amazing.. the rhythm that follows @5:00 is simply out of this world and is really "beyond"

Thanks for the info. So it does have a connection to "crossing over". It certainly has a very powerful tune. Certain tunes are just meant to be this way and 'sacred'. Nothing more to be said.

Last edited:
Sometimes when music completely takes you over and you have that slight wet sensation in your eyes you know it! :)

'Hai la sa' is also a good tune.
'Farihi' has some amazing vocals - you can guess the age of the singer by the vocals :)
'Glorious Sun' has amazing voice overs too
'Rain Buddha' has great buddhist chants.
'Prem Jam' has amazing Thai wooden instruments timber (video is also nice capturing the energy)
'Laya Mantra' has great traditional music. Love it!

If liked this genre then also check this with the video 'Nogori Session' by Earth Sync records itself.
Nagore Sessions - The Saint - YouTube

The vid is very well done and mesmerizing. The flue is so sweet and very soothing..
It is one of the tracks you hear once and forget and the visuals and music haunts later wanting to listen again :)

This is another of my fav tunes by Kartick & Gotam.. Amazing instrument cross over and tune!
Kartick & Gotam - Business Class Refugees - Supreme Chaos - YouTube
Excellent change of tune @1:00. Nice voice over @ 1:40. Nice video. Music picks ups back in pace at 3. Really well pace song!

Came across this thread a few days back. And what a time it has been since!:yahoo:
Sampling on iTunes, downloading, ordering and listening & watching. It has been amazing, thanks for all the suggestions. Can't thank you guys enough.:clapping:
Some that were not available or too expensive, got from iTunes. Its an amazing inventory that iTunes India has now with prices mostly from Rs 70 to Rs 150 for an album! Download is at 256 kbps.

The Laya Project is available as a 3 disc pack (2 CD & 1 DVD with even a DTS 5.1 track) from Rhythmhouse. Comes with a booklet. Just received it today. Its amazing. The DVD has wonderful videos of most of the numbers.
The CDs and DVD are available separately also but the CDs are out of stock now.

Last edited:
Sampling on iTunes, downloading, ordering and listening & watching. It has been amazing, thanks for all the suggestions. Can't thank you guys enough.:clapping:
Some that were not available or too expensive, got from iTunes. Its an amazing inventory that iTunes India has now with prices mostly from Rs 70 to Rs 150 for an album! Download is at 256 kbps.

The Laya Project is available as a 3 disc pack (2 CD & 1 DVD with even a DTS 5.1 track) from Rhythmhouse. Comes with a booklet. Just received it today. Its amazing. The DVD has wonderful videos of most of the numbers.
The CDs and DVD are available separately also but the CDs are out of stock now.
Thank you, nice. Just bought it in iTunes and it is playing great right now.
Making Music is a brilliant album too, though Garbarek tends to be louder than the rest to the extent of annoyingly so at times.
Song for everyone by the same gang is also very good.
As is Garbareks Ragas and Sagas.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back