VFM Vinyl Wiping Cloth

hildebrand

I was browsing through Items on sale at local More superstore as 26th Jan sale was on this weekend.
Came across these cheap micro fiber cloth in the car wash section which would be idle for wiping Vinyls.
I am attaching a picture of the same. Due to nature of cloth it is very good in attracting dust and can be washed easily. It can be used for cleaning everything from your car, computer screen, golf clubs, glasses, jewellery, kitchen counter to vinyls.

This combo which I bought is for Rs 49/- only and includes two microfibre cloths. One of them is of 35x35 cm size and the other is of 17.5 x 35 cm size.
Manufacturer brand is My and Car. It was in two colours as a set of two and both are shown below (one is orange and the other is mauve in colour).
It mentions that it is a MC 401 Micro Fiber Cloth. Slogan says "Car Care From The Gar Experts" (I wonder what Gar Experts are :D)
More colours maybe available at other stores. It even says on it that it has a warranty of 1 year. Talk about being sure about the product!

20140127_223300.jpg

Last edited:
I am a sucker for microfibre (why? because it works so well!) and have a drawer full of cloths of different kinds and widely various budget. I even have microfibre hand and bath towels!

For wet cleaning of any surface with microfibre the best way is to use absolute minimum of moisture. A light misting from a spray will do. Using them soaked, like any old wet cloth, they are actually not much better than any old wet cloth.

This light-spray approach can be used on LPs. Microfibre does lift of grease without any additives to the water, but you could use your favourite vinyl cleaning fluid.

Similarly, with spectacles, I use dry microfibre as an every-day cleaner, but occasionally spray with a small bottle of water/IPA. I originally made that mix for LPs!

Ideally, for LPs (and specs!) a non-linting cloth should be used. If you can find microfibre sold for cleaning glass, it would be good --- but it might not have the long pile to reach down into those grooves. A two-cloth approach would cover: long pile for cleaning, lint-free for removing any fibres left by the long pile cloth.

For wet cleaning i use a cloth given by Mishra Ji, It looks like a velvet cloth and works very well. Now after wet cleaning i dry the record by cleaning the wet record with the help of a Target micro fibre cloth and again i wipe the record with dry scotch brite scratch proof wipe to make sure that the wet cloth had not left any lint on the record.

Further I use scotch brite scratch proof wipe for cleaning of dry records if required before playing them. I bought the same from following website.

Scotch Brite Scratch Proof Wipe - Micro Fibre Cloth (205mm x 205mm) 1 nos Carton: Buy online at best price | BigBasket.com

Giving the link for the use of forum members. otherwise dont have any link with Bigbasket.com.

It is all wiped away*. The recipe is mostly water, anyway, although there is a bottle of IPA on the shelf for really tough jobs, or jobs that I do not want to get H20-wet.

I suspect that many commercial specs-cleaning fluids consist of water/IPA/detergent, in which case this is just a home-made variety of the same.

*maybe one day we will nano-fibre cloths, that clean to the molecular level! Hmmm... maybe we do already! There are certainly nano-technology cleaning solutions. Probably time I asked google to update me on this :)

Further I use scotch brite scratch proof wipe ...

Probably good, but people reading this and going to look round their local supermarket should bear in mind that "scratch-proof," in the kitchen context, probably applies to materials like the steel used for cooking implements --- not soft vinyl :eek:

Last edited:
Hope the IPA solution doesnt impact the eyes. My knowledge about these chemicals is almost nil.
Thad, I am not sure about eyes but IPA could remove some coating from glass surface. My camera repair friend told me to avoid strong solvent on any lense surface. Glass is okay but once ir/uv coating and other polarizer like layers are gone, then it's normal lense.

Found another VFM item so thought of posting about it here in this thread instead of a new one.
I used to have a problem putting my records to dry.
Found this plate stand at a utensil store. Its small and compact. Its possible to keep upto 11 records to dry. Easy and elegant. Appears to be aluminium based so won't rust also. I have kept it on top of my fridge but it can be kept anywhere!

Attachments

• 20140319_193504.jpg
    20140319_193504.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 199
Found another VFM item so thought of posting about it here in this thread instead of a new one.
I used to have a problem putting my records to dry.
Found this plate stand at a utensil store. Its small and compact. Its possible to keep upto 11 records to dry. Easy and elegant. Appears to be aluminium based so won't rust also. I have kept it on top of my fridge but it can be kept anywhere!

I have one of stainless steel bought from D'Mart.

Thanks for the warning re coated lenses, which I only just saw today. Noted! :)

About racks and drying LPs...

I'd try to avoid anything much harder than vinyl. All metals will be.

I wouldn't put on top of a fridge, or any other source of heat because of danger of warping.

Of course, I don't have much to do with vinyl these days --- but there was 2/3s of a lifetime when I did!

I use a similar plate holder, to dry LP's. With added microfiber cloth where the lp rests against the metal. Using car chamois is a good idea, will try it over the weekend. For the wash solution I use distilled water, IPA and Triton x.

Thanks for the warning re coated lenses, which I only just saw today. Noted! :)

About racks and drying LPs...

I'd try to avoid anything much harder than vinyl. All metals will be.

I wouldn't put on top of a fridge, or any other source of heat because of danger of warping.

Of course, I don't have much to do with vinyl these days --- but there was 2/3s of a lifetime when I did!

I am not putting up on the fridge when drying. Only when on standby :)

I use a similar plate holder, to dry LP's. With added microfiber cloth where the lp rests against the metal. Using car chamois is a good idea, will try it over the weekend. For the wash solution I use distilled water, IPA and Triton x.

What ratio do you use them in?

85 - 87 % Distilled water. 13 - 15% IPA and a few drops of Triton x. I get all these from a lab supply store near Delhi university.

85 - 87 % Distilled water. 13 - 15% IPA and a few drops of Triton x. I get all these from a lab supply store near Delhi university.

I use 1/3 of IPA, 2/3 of Water and 1drop/50ml Triton X to total solution.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back