Victor Wooten - Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai

Man, I truly enjoyed this show! I'd never heard any these guys before, so this was an eye-opener.

The musicians were on the stage on the dot of 19:30 (I assume, since I scrambled in at 19:35, damn parking). My butt had hardly hit the seat when they started. SQ was (naturally) rough for the first ten minutes or so, then settled in slowly as the sound techs did their thing.

Most of the compositions played were Prasanna's, off his "Be The Change" album. The second set started with Wooten solo on the stage, using delay & looping, playing with himself, so to speak :) His technical virtuosity has to be seen to be believed. Man must have vulcanized fingertips to do that kind of stuff on a bass! Later conversations with Dr S Karthik & Bangalore Amrit had him trading note-for-note with percussionists! Amazing!

There were excellent, engaging solos by Dr S Karthik & Bangalore Amrit too, soon after which they wound up at just past 22:00. No encores! Excuse was that the air-conditioning is switched off at 22:00 as a rule. But there was an autograph signing, with preference given to bass players.

As Victor said, Prasanna had been trying for several years to bring him down here for a tour, so we have Prasanna to thank for an extremely fun evening.

BTW, this was part of a fund-raising effort for the Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music, which is Prasanna's baby, opening soon in Chennai. They intend to have world-class musicians as faculty, so :clapping: Can't have too many good music schools!

Oh yes, and thanks again to Psychotropic for his post. I'd probably have never seen this concert otherwise. :signthankspin:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back