Video Camera Formats Some Questions.

deba

Dear All,

Kindly let me know the difference between DV Codec which is used in MiniDV Format and D8 (now defunct) Format and MPEG 2 used in standard resolution DVD/HDD Camcorders. Which one gives better video quality and less compression ? Which Camcorder format to go for?

Kindly discuss.
Thanks.

Any reply or comparison web link will be helpful.......:)

Last edited:
Any reply or comparison web link will be helpul.......:)

slightly off the topic but why would you want a camcorder when there are full HD digicams available, which provide excellent pictire quality. You can always convert the MJPEG (from digicam) back to MiniDV,if you have a specific requirement. Backing up on tape media is almost equal to HDD now (13.2 GB of tape for Rs100-150) and 500GB HDD (3000-3500)
I have a SX1 and u would be amazed by the recording quality at 1920x1080@30fps. I suppose miniDV would be restricted to 1440x1080.
But digicams have their disadvantages too..blurred pic sometimes due to camera shake..

Not sure if recording media makes a difference, although I know of many who swear by the colour reproductions of analog formats (a bit like lp over cd and crt over lcd). Havent done a recent comparison as the old one was a mini dv and the new one a full hd hdd camcorder (sony hdrsr10). The codecs for playing the default format (m2ts) is not very developed and you will find players like vlc struggling and the default sony player horrible. However, there are tons of other players that play it beautifully. I use Nero and it works well for me.

Hi,

I am copying my MiniDVs (20-25) to my PC in AVI raw format (13GB for one hour).

Which is the best format to convert them into. DivX or MKV or any other.

I intend to keep them in my external hard disk and play them through media player when I need to watch them on TV.

Thanks.

Thanks.

After surfing the net, I think MP4 (H264) will be better format. What do u say ?

Any advice on software for this or for DivX ?

Also I am planning to buy an HD Camcorder. I have shortlisted Sony HDR-XR100E priced at 35 to 40k.

Is there a better option. There are not many HD camcorder option in Indian market I guess.

Hello deba, mini DV has less compression compared to any HDD & DVD camcorders. Both DVD and hard drive camcorders compress the video using the MPEG-2 codec, a lossy compression method that reduces both video quality and file size. Hard drive camcorders, and some of the DVD camcorders, offer an adjustable recording bit rate so you can record at lower or higher quality. Data rate with mini dv is 3 mb/ sec. DVD & HDD camcorders record video at 1mb/sec so quality is compromised. Even today broadcast industry use tape formats like mini DV, DV cam & digi beta.

Today High definition camcorders have become very popular (tape-based) with superior picture quality.

More info at Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons

Anil

MY DIY PAGE

Dear All,

Kindly let me know the difference between DV Codec which is used in MiniDV Format and D8 (now defunct) Format and MPEG 2 used in standard resolution DVD/HDD Camcorders. Which one gives better video quality and less compression ? Which Camcorder format to go for?

Kindly discuss.
Thanks.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back