Vintage collector

maestro

Hi, I'm new here... I started out in 2009 by purchasing a hand cranked winding gramophone with brass horn and went on to procure the following:
1. A Philips Record Player Model (832 or GP224- don't know exactly which one)
2. HMV Stereo Popular Model 9178
3. Pioneer PL-8 Direct Drive Turntable
4. Grundig PE2010
5. Sansui AU555A Solid State Stereo Amplifier

I have about 300 records (33s, 45s and 78s). I use two custom made floor standing towers with Pioneer and other assorted speakers inside.

I somehow seem to have ended up with record players that are seldom discussed here especially the HMV 9178, the PL-8 or the Grundig PE2010. I also have the remains of what was once a Crown SHC 3200. No info here about that too..

However, there is so much of help here especially with regard to cleaning, maintaining and preserving records which is really nice. It feels good to be here to see that my love for Shellac and Vinyl is not in vain.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. If you need any help in cleaning records or any thing to do with record players , I may be of help. I am also a vintage collector like you

Hi KJ, I am currently trying to restore a Philips GA242 bought for 500 bucks. Originally I thought I would source it for the parts but the prospect of restoring it is promising. It looks like a few components are missing on the circuit board. Need help from anyone who is into restoration or owns a 242 to help me either by providing a schematic or by sending across some photos of the circuit board. Thanx.

Hi KJ, I am currently trying to restore a Philips GA242 bought for 500 bucks. Originally I thought I would source it for the parts but the prospect of restoring it is promising. It looks like a few components are missing on the circuit board. Need help from anyone who is into restoration or owns a 242 to help me either by providing a schematic or by sending across some photos of the circuit board. Thanx.

It may be difficult to get schematics of Philips 242. I am not too good a electronics. But I know this player well. What is the condition of the player? Is it starting up. Normally, the switches do not work and needs cleaning up. It is a very under rated player. Low feedback. Most of the recording shops in the past used to use this player for converting records to cassettes..

It may be difficult to get schematics of Philips 242. I am not too good a electronics. But I know this player well. What is the condition of the player? Is it starting up. Normally, the switches do not work and needs cleaning up. It is a very under rated player. Low feedback. Most of the recording shops in the past used to use this player for converting records to cassettes..

KJ, you're right on two counts...one, its going to be difficult to get the schema and two, there is a little trouble with the switches. On the other hand, the TT surprisingly does start up. The selector switch lights up when powered on...(there is a small bulb inside). The motor turns oh so slowly and I am sure electronic components are missing. But since I do know that many forum members have this model, my best bet is to get pictures. The cartridge is an original Philips EG1400 with the needle missing on the stylus. Also by the way, this is a Made in India (not Made in Holland).

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back