Vintage lab series or studio monitor series Full range speakers

vmscbe1974

Dear Friends

Iam looking out to buy some good vintage speakers and matching valve amps kindly give me some leads.
Choice for vintage 3 way full range speakers are

1. JBL
2. Kenwood
any european make speakers.

Listening will be to my collection of 1000 shellac records, 5000 Lp and Ep records of film songs, classical and english.
Regards
Srinivasan.M

hi,
good choice.
i am using vintage YAMAHA NS1000M Studio monitors with vintage Sansui AU-717 Very good match. not tried with tube amps.
best of luck with your search.

Dear Friends

Iam looking out to buy some good vintage speakers and matching valve amps kindly give me some leads.

For Valve amps, you can check out Lyrita audio. Please search on this forum and you will find lots of good things about this brand and it's propritor (Viren). Viren makes both push pull and SET amplifiers. His 2A3 SET amps are quite popular with FMs

If I remember properly, FM Heliumflight is using a lyrita valve amp paired with his vintage speakers (B&W).

Alternativelly, you can also try a valve pre-amp with solid state power. Acoustic portrait, based in bangalore, make this combination. They also have an ardent fan following.

That's quite a large collection of records that you have there! What record player(s) do you have?

Best,
APK

i have HMV 1212, and 1010 , philps , hmv ampligram with garrard player, philps radiogram with garrard player for my 78s. Maratz and Cosmic cogram Mark2 with Cambridge Audio P540 phono preamp and Yamaha Av Receiver .

i have HMV 1212, and 1010 , philps , hmv ampligram with garrard player, philps radiogram with garrard player for my 78s. Maratz and Cosmic cogram Mark2 with Cambridge Audio P540 phono preamp and Yamaha Av Receiver .

Wow! that's quite a collection of record players that you have.

All the best for your search for the right speakers and amplifiers. Feel free to seek as much advice from the forum as you wish. Lots of experienced and helpful folks out here.

Best,
APK

HMV1212 and 1010, 2 very popular record players with built in amplifiers, of the 1970s in India. I also remember the HMV1515 record player with a built in amplifier and the HMV super 2020 stereo integrated amplifier.

Dear Reubensm

Could you post pictures of the two models you mentioned in this thread for HMV 1515 and stereo amp 2020. I never seen one.
regards
Srinivas

Last edited:
Dear Friends

1. JBL
2. Kenwood

Listening will be to my collection of 1000 shellac records, 5000 Lp and Ep records of film songs, classical and english.
Regards
Srinivasan.M

I can help you.

Dear Reubensm

Could you post pictures of the two models you mentioned in this thread for HMV 1515 and stereo amp 2020. I never seen one.
regards
Srinivas

The HMV 1515 looked similar to the HMV 1212, except that the controls on the 1515 were front mounted while the controls on the 1212 were mounted upright, on the top, just below the turntable deck. Don't have pictures but recall that the 2020 amp had these flashing lights as level indicators.

Dear Friends

1. JBL
2. Kenwood

When you say 3 way, they are not typically called full range speakers. 3-way systems have a woofer, midrange and a tweeter. Vintage fullrange speakers such as Goodmans, Tannoy and Altecs will be just one driver but with coxial or concentric tweeter mounted on the same driver. Some fullrangers like dual cone Philips or Fostex and few other drivers have a whizzer cone mounted in the centre for high frequency reproduction.

Look for Tannoy Monitro Gold or Altec 604 Duplex or Goodmans speakers if you are interested in vintage sound.

Check this site for many discussions on Tannoy and Altec drivers.

Cheers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back