Vintage McIntosh Beauties - First SS Pre & Power

pathakajit

The weekend was utilized bringing out of storage these fine vintage McIntosh amps, cleaning and servicing them to get them singing and looking good.
Quick write up and pictures for reading and viewing pleasure-

The C24 preamp was the first McIntosh solid state preamp to be made. I remember reading that McIntosh intended to make these SS preamps sound similar to their tube gear that was famous then.

The build quality is top notch and the sound quality is something to be experienced! This pre sounds remarkably smooth, is very precise and detailed. I like the two tone Black glass and Champagne face of this preamp. Only a few McIntosh amps like this C24, Integrated MA5100 and the Hybrid MA230 sported this two tone look.
I know i am looking at a rare vintage Mac when i see these two tone colors :licklips:

u1228Bj.jpg

The MC2505 Poweramp was the first McIntosh solid state poweramp to be made (along with its similar looking larger sibling MC2150 and MC250). This was also the first amp to sport AutoFormers and Meters (along with MC2150). Autoformer technology then used by McIntosh enabled same peak power output irrespective of the speaker impedence- 4, 8 or 16Ohm speakers could be used with this amp and it would deliver its rated output power into the connected speaker load. This amp although rated at 50WPC RMS is known to put out in excess of 70WPC RMS before clipping.

9jzUEtU.jpg

Again, the build quality is top notch and the amp is heavy! The sound signature is 'punchy' and the amp is eager to deliver a wallop anytime the gain knobs are tweaked northward. It pairs very well with the C24 and the documentation for this amp seems to suggest that the C24 is its natural partner - the connection diagrams etc show the C24 as the preamp. The blue eyed meters look lovely in dim lights and have brightened up after I replaced the bulbs today. I am planning an LED replacement for the incandescent bulbs soon.

Been a great evening watching and listening to these beauties!-

eevzbM9.jpg

Congrats and welcome to McIntosh club.

I am have the same amp. It is a first solid state power amp from McIntosh and sounding like tube.

I had MC 2105 and C 28 previously but I preferred this one.

Regards

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to McIntosh club.

I am have the same amp. It is a first solid state power amp from McIntosh and sounding like tube.

I had MC 2105 and C 28 previously but I preferred this one.

Regards

What preamp do you use with the 2250?
I could use the headroom of the MC2150, especially when driving larger JBLs thatan handle massive power!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back